Kasei's Read-a-Blog!

Hey everyone! It's been years and I'm sure most people who might recognize my name are long gone(here's my old blog if you're curious), but I've recently been missing doing book stuff around here. In 2015 I quit my teaching job to pursue a career in illustration. Because of the busyness of that and trying to establish myself in a new field, it's been years since I've even had time to read. I figured something like this might help me stay accountable and do some goal-setting. :)

I know it's the middle of the year, so I'm not going to give this one a year title, I'm just going to try to continuously update this thread as I read things. I hope that's okay/allowed as I've noticed most of these threads are made new each year. I'd like to keep using this one for a while, possibly into next year, and just make a new one if I go missing again for a while.

I will mostly be reviewing/rambling as able about the books I'm digging through, with perhaps the occasional accompanying doodle. If you're into that kind of thing, then this is the thread for you. ;)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Currently Reading:
The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis
Hoarders by Matt Paxton 

Aesop's Fables by Aesop
Ice Hunt by James Rollins

Sitting on the shelf in Que to be Read:

Whispers at the Altar by Allan C.R. Cornelius
Beowulf

Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman
Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes
The Tangible Kingdom by Hugh Halter and Mat Smay

The Waking Land by Callie Bates

Have Read since July 2018:

The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman (4/5)
Anxious for Nothing by Max Lucado (3/5)
The Torah (--)

Recommended reads from years past:

*Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake [review]
**The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson [review]
*The Wal-Mart Effect by Charles Fishman[review]
*Gorillas in the Mist by Dian Fossey
**An Ordinary Man by Paul Rusesabagina

*A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin [review]

*The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
*War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

Key:
** = Highly recommend!
*  = Recommend
X = I didn't care for the book, would not recommend
-- = Historical/Religious document that I read to inform myself
All unmarked books mean that I enjoyed the read

My review ratings can be interpreted as such:
0/5: Paperweight
1/5: Could've done without reading this one, hardly any redeeming qualities
2/5: A "meh" book--unmemorable/had a lot of problems I couldn't read around
3/5: Pretty okay. You won't die if you miss it, but not awful.
4/5: Quite enjoyable, would read again.
5/5: You absolutely should read this. It reeks of awesome.
(you may assume that any title with * by it gets this rating from me)
[/url]

Edited by Kasei

Reading Wishlist:

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
London by Edward Rutherfurd
Cretaceous sea: A novel of time travel by Will Hubbel
Raptor by Paul Zindel
Tyrannosaur Canyon by Douglas J. Preston
West of Eden by Harry Harrison
The Land that Time Forgot by Edgar Rice Burroughs
The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Africa by Kim Donaldson
The Red Wyvern by Katherine Kerr
The Rover by Mel Odom
In Search of America by Peter Jennings
Long Night Dance by Betsy James
Eden by Olympia Vernon
The Iron Ring by Lloyd Alexander
Kushiel’s Dart by Jaquine Carny
The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks
Silverhair, Longtusk, Icebones by Steven Baxter
King’s Shadow by Elizabeth Alder
Between by Jean Thompson
The White Bone by Barbara Gowdy
Dragon’s Bait by Vivien Vande Velde
Firegold by Dia Calhoun
Pure Dead Magic by Debi Gliordi
Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden
The Merlin Conspiracy by Dianne Wynne Jones
The Book of the Lion by Michael Cadmum
Deep Dream of the Forrest by Malcom Bosse
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis

Edited by Kasei

7 hours ago, Kasei said:

Hey everyone! It's been years and I'm sure most people who might recognize my name are long gone(here's my old blog if you're curious), but I've recently been missing doing book stuff around here. In 2015 I quit my teaching job to pursue a career in illustration. Because of the busyness of that and trying to establish myself in a new field, it's been years since I've even had time to read. I figured something like this might help me stay accountable and do some goal-setting. :)

I know it's the middle of the year, so I'm not going to give this one a year title, I'm just going to try to continuously update this thread as I read things. I hope that's okay/allowed as I've noticed most of these threads are made new each year. I'd like to keep using this one for a while, possibly into next year, and just make a new one if I go missing again for a while.

I will mostly be reviewing/rambling as able about the books I'm digging through, with perhaps the occasional accompanying doodle. If you're into that kind of thing, then this is the thread for you. ;)

I don't know if it's okay yet to post in this thread, whether you are done setting it up. If you are not done, let me know and I'll remove my post!

It is perfectly fine to update your thread for as long as you want. The (b)log doesn't have to be a yearly thing :). Most are, that's true, but we have (and have had) some people in the past who just want one continuing log and that's fine too :). It's all good :D.

Welcome back :)! I'll be following your thread :).

7 hours ago, Athena said:

I don't know if it's okay yet to post in this thread, whether you are done setting it up. If you are not done, let me know and I'll remove my post!

It is perfectly fine to update your thread for as long as you want. The (b)log doesn't have to be a yearly thing :). Most are, that's true, but we have (and have had) some people in the past who just want one continuing log and that's fine too :). It's all good :D.

Welcome back :)! I'll be following your thread :).

Yeah, it's totally okay! I think I'm done setting up, I'm not nearly so organized as some other folks, haha. 

And that's good to know about it not having to be a yearly thing! Takes some of the pressure off. Thanks for the welcome! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Wandering back in here! 

I read "The Five Love Languages" a few weeks ago and was surprised that it was more helpful than I expected.
A lot of the suggestions seem very obvious, but if you stop and think about it, how often are we that intentional in our love?
I drew a lot of good insights from the book and it was kind of interesting to be able to pinpoint what my love language is vs my
boyfriend's love language. I think a focused reading of this book would probably help prevent and/or repair a lot of relationship 
issues. Certainly not a hard read and easy to pick up, I'd recommend it to those mildly curious in bettering their love life.