Pets - 2018

Athena

It seems we didn't have a 'Pets 2018' topic yet (that I could find), so I started it.

Last night a predator visited our garden and took all three female little chicken (they were born last October). I found a lot of feathers this morning. I am saddened by this, and I'm angry. :( :wibbly: :censored:

Our other chicken seem okay, but they aren't as happy as they usually are. The little male chicken (the only chicken now remaining of the nest we had last October), keeps searching in the garden for the females, but he can't find them because they are gone. The others are much more subdued than normally, they don't make their usual noises and they don't come to greet me when they see me, how they usually do.

Our dogs Boris and Pamuk are doing well. Lise, our goat, is doing okay too.

How is/are your pet(s)?

19 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Poor little chickens. :(:empathy:

Thank you :hug:. Gladly it turned out one of the three is still alive!! She is sitting on a nest. I had assumed she was with the others, even though we only found two piles of feathers. But sitting on the nest in a more secluded area, saved her!! I'm still sad about the other two, but I'm happy one of them is still here!!

19 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

It`s too hot for Xiao-Xiao atm ( 27C and getting hotter ). :)

Poor kitty :(. It's hot here too. Boris spends most of the day lying on my cold bedroom floor, stone tiles on ground floor. Pamuk spends some time outside but when she gets too hot she goes to the main house and lies on the cold stone tiled floor there. It's cooler in the main house than in the bakery, but the bedroom is really Boris' spot and he loves to be close to us, so I think he prefers that over the main house. I hope it gets less warm for you over there soon. I think here at least some more days of hot weather have been predicted.

2 hours ago, Athena said:

Thank you :hug:. Gladly it turned out one of the three is still alive!! She is sitting on a nest. I had assumed she was with the others, even though we only found two piles of feathers. But sitting on the nest in a more secluded area, saved her!! I'm still sad about the other two, but I'm happy one of them is still here!!

Wow ! :o That`s brilliant news. The little cockerel must be happy. :D 

Aw sorry to hear about the chickens! But happy that one survived at least.

I have a new cat!! I acquired, Molly, back in March. The lady who gave me my other cat, Bella, last year gave her to me. Molly is older than Bella, at least 12 I think. She is a lot slower than Bella, especially in play. But she's a cute little thing, really sweet-natured, and a beautiful long-haired tortoiseshell.

This weather is too hot for me and my cats. I can't sleep at night at all, it must be awful for them with all that fur!!

38 minutes ago, ~Andrea~ said:

I have a new cat!! I acquired, Molly, back in March. The lady who gave me my other cat, Bella, last year gave her to me. Molly is older than Bella, at least 12 I think. She is a lot slower than Bella, especially in play. But she's a cute little thing, really sweet-natured, and a beautiful long-haired tortoiseshell.

This weather is too hot for me and my cats. I can't sleep at night at all, it must be awful for them with all that fur!!

Aw, a tortie ! Lovely. :wub:

18 hours ago, ~Andrea~ said:

Thanks!

18 hours ago, ~Andrea~ said:

Yay for a new cat! She sounds really cute and beautiful :).

On 29/06/2018 at 9:17 AM, Athena said:

It seems we didn't have a 'Pets 2018' topic yet (that I could find), so I started it.

Last night a predator visited our garden and took all three female little chicken (they were born last October). I found a lot of feathers this morning. I am saddened by this, and I'm angry. :( :wibbly: :censored:

Our other chicken seem okay, but they aren't as happy as they usually are. The little male chicken (the only chicken now remaining of the nest we had last October), keeps searching in the garden for the females, but he can't find them because they are gone. The others are much more subdued than normally, they don't make their usual noises and they don't come to greet me when they see me, how they usually do.

Our dogs Boris and Pamuk are doing well. Lise, our goat, is doing okay too.

How is/are your pet(s)?

Named after Orhan Pamuk?

And Boris Pasternak?

I'm sorry about the chickens, must have been horrible finding them like that. Was it a fox that took them?  Nature is cruel, that's for sure. 

It's very warm here, just back from a week in Cornwall and it was lovely to see dogs playing in the sea and rivers and having a great time (their humans too).

On 7/2/2018 at 8:22 PM, itsmeagain said:

Named after Orhan Pamuk?

And Boris Pasternak?

No and no. But it's a good guess :)!

Our dog Pamuk was born in Turkey and left with her puppy siblings by the trash. She was rescued by an older lady who I think named her Pamuk, which means 'cotton / white' (because her fur is white). The older lady I think didn't have the means to care for dogs for too long, so Pamuk was flown to the Netherlands and we adopted her (after she spent a couple of weeks with a temporary family).

Boris was called 'Bodyguard' by his owners, because he is so huge. He was about 4 months old, and his owners had a nest full of big puppies from their dogs. They couldn't care for all of them, but they were having trouble giving the dogs to other people, because they are so huge not many people dared to take them. My parents took Bodyguard home with them. The owners said we could change his name, but that they recommended keeping the 'bo-' because that's the part that the dog identified with. So we came up with 'Boris' (which in Dutch has a similar 'bo-' as 'bodyguard' does. In English Boris sounds slightly different than in Dutch).

20 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I'm sorry about the chickens, must have been horrible finding them like that. Was it a fox that took them?  Nature is cruel, that's for sure. 

It's very warm here, just back from a week in Cornwall and it was lovely to see dogs playing in the sea and rivers and having a great time (their humans too).

Yes, it might have been a fox. We're not entirely sure, as a fox usually leaves some of his prey behind (ie. if the fox takes 5 chicken, there may be some heads or corpses of some of them leftover, that's what happened a few years ago here), but we haven't found anything other than two big piles of white feathers. It can't have been a predator bird as it would have only taken one of the two. I agree, nature is cruel :(. We're now taking extra care to put the chicken back in their houses at night and close the doors. We had been leaving the doors open, because it is so hot, and some of the chicken actually preferred to sleep outside because of the heat. But they seem to have understood that we want them inside, they now go inside on their own and we just have to shut the doors. Only the little cockrel stays outside, we can't figure out where he sleeps! He's afraid of the area where the little ones were taken, so instead of sleeping on top of the little gate (where he was before), he sleeps elsewhere but we haven't found out yet where.

I'm happy you had a great holiday :).

23 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Thanks Athena.  Hopefully the little guy has found himself somewhere safe at night!

Thanks, I hope so :). We hope that if we can't find him, hopefully neither can the fox.

21 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

Thanks Athena. Lovely story about the dogs.

Thanks Itsmeagain :).

I thought our cat had been run over last week. On the way back from a Foo fighters gig in London on Friday night (so really late, or really early on Saturday morning depending on your perspective), I was looking at Facebook and one of the groups I'm on is about the local goings on in our town.

Well, I read on that that someone had witnessed a tabby with no collar get run over at the bottom of our road under the bridge, and all they could do was move it to the side. Mario quite often races across the road like an idiot and he has a history of getting hit by cars in the past, but has survived them all (I think he's down to 6 lives now!)

Of course Mario was nowhere to be seen when we got back home (at 4am) and we even walked down to the bridge the next morning, but couldn't see any sign of it.

Every meow I heard was Clara, every cat flap beep was Clara and I found myself apologising to her for saying 'wrong cat'.

Anyway, come 9pm,  Mario breezes in through the cat flap as if nothing is the matter. :rolleyes: 

Phew!

20 hours ago, More reading time required said:

Yes, it's not the first cat to be a victim of that road. :( Even though it's supposed to be a 30, people whizz down it as it's quite a wide through road. 

:( Can you ask for road bumps ? :)

We adopted 2 cats a few weeks ago - 2 adorable almost 13 year old sisters called Billie and Becky. They belonged to one of our neighbours who died in back April. They were very shy to begin with but with lots of love and patience are slowly settling in and beginning to tentatively explore the house. The heat is a bit too much for them I think though, like the rest of us, so they are spending most of the day sleeping. There is a bit of rivalry beginning to go on as well now they are starting to establish their territory. :angcat:

On 7/6/2018 at 5:30 PM, Talisman said:

We adopted 2 cats a few weeks ago - 2 adorable almost 13 year old sisters called Billie and Becky. They belonged to one of our neighbours who died in back April. They were very shy to begin with but with lots of love and patience are slowly settling in and beginning to tentatively explore the house. The heat is a bit too much for them I think though, like the rest of us, so they are spending most of the day sleeping. There is a bit of rivalry beginning to go on as well now they are starting to establish their territory. :angcat:

I'm glad Billie and Becky are doing well :singcat:.

13 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

It was Xiao-Xiao`s 7th B`day yesterday. :D I ordered a cooling mat for her from Amazon - hopefully it`ll arrive mid-week. :)

DSC01224.JPG

She's beautiful :singcat:. I hope the cooling mat will be comfortable for her :).

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Athena said:

It is with pain in my heart that I have to tell you all that our goat Lize passed away yesterday :(:wibbly:. She was old and the heat became too much for her. May she rest in peace :cry:.

:empathy: Poor Lize. Thinking of you at this sad time. :wibbly: