Happy 70th Birthday N.H.S. On 5.7.2018

Booknutt

This  may seem like a bit of an odd topic for a book forum folks,  but I do think our valuable National Health Service deserves 3 cheers on its upcoming 70th birthday. We'd be a lot worse off without it!

Think of those "historical" novels of life more than 70 years ago - it's really not that far back. People had to pay for the doctor then, and pay for the medicines, regardless of their circumstances. Millions of course couldn't afford it, so had to make do with home remedies, and hope for the best. Life for the general population has improved hugely over the last 70 years, and most people alive nowadays can't remember a time when  there wasn't an NHS to support us through our accidents or illnesses.

So thank goodness there are those novels and factual books we read to remind us, of what is really an important part of our lives which we should really value more. ;)

Well, I got the date itself off Facebook, and have have heard of other celebration ones on other June\July dates too, but the spirit of my original post remains.

All the hospital sagas and midwife novels enjoyed by many and made light of by many more, the historical novels involving the early days of nursing in hospitals or battlefields are history in fiction form. Easier to read, but still true. Stories which carry readers through that  dedication to duty, developments in medicine, improvement of conditions, progressing, progressing, and we all benefit from it too!

Come on - there must be somebody out there who's got some favourite "reads" to post here?  Novels modern or historical, even factual stuff if you like? (Can't promise to read the factual books myself, though! I soak facts up more easily when encased in a fictional novel.

Happy reading All! :D

Edited by Booknutt
Added word

I read an article in Victoria magazine about an American traveling in Britain had an accident and broke her leg I think. Anyway, she couldnt say enough about the great service she received. From the emergency room visit, admittance and discharge all she had encountered was professional and pleasant staff.