What's Up in June? - 2018

Athena

17 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

:lol:

You'd be amazed how many people do that. The worst are the cold callers. It's a good excuse to get rid of them mind you and tell them they have the wrong number!    

17 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Leak in my bathroom this afternoon, water cascading down through the ceiling into the diningroom - where my books are ! Aargghh !  Found a plumber after a couple of hours, and it`s semi-fixed. Thankfully Dad is really handy and turned the water off, ripped open wooden panelling and found the leak, stopped it himself. The plumber isolated it with, erm, better plumbing supplies ? Anyway, crisis averted. Maybe 20 books injured, 5 badly.  And the diningroom will need new wallpaper on one wall, when it`s all dried out.  Could`ve been worse, I suppose. :)

That sounds pretty nasty! Shame about the books - can they be replaced?

I have just been round to see the cats again. I have decided that the shy one isn't shy at all as she seems to love me. She was all over me again today, purring like crazy - I thought she was going to climb on my lap at one point, but she changed her mind and decided not to. She was letting me stroke her belly though which is one of the most vulnerable places for cats - when they do that you know they like you. Her sister in the meantime just sat there watching us and having a good groom. We are going to try again tomorrow to get them to the Vet - so it all goes well we could be bringing them home in a day or so. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Hopefully the books will dry out and still be readable. Haven`t checked all of them yet. :)

If any of them are very precious, you might be able to get your local library to dry them for you. Our little library has the means to do this, so I imagine others do too.

16 hours ago, Talisman said:

I have just been round to see the cats again. I have decided that the shy one isn't shy at all as she seems to love me. She was all over me again today, purring like crazy - I thought she was going to climb on my lap at one point, but she changed her mind and decided not to. She was letting me stroke her belly though which is one of the most vulnerable places for cats - when they do that you know they like you. Her sister in the meantime just sat there watching us and having a good groom. We are going to try again tomorrow to get them to the Vet - so it all goes well we could be bringing them home in a day or so. 

Nice news about the cats :singcat:!

9 hours ago, poppy said:

If any of them are very precious, you might be able to get your local library to dry them for you. Our little library has the means to do this, so I imagine others do too.

Ooh, I didn`t know about things like that. :) The really damaged ones are charity shop ones and second hand Amazon ones ( recently published books ) , so nothing I`m desperately sad to lose. :)

Dad got another free ride in an ambulance yesterday - tachycardia and atrial fib. - the hospital did lots of tests ( though, he`s waiting for a heart scan )  and discharged him with meds. Phew. :)

37 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

Ooh, I didn`t know about things like that. :) The really damaged ones are charity shop ones and second hand Amazon ones ( recently published books ) , so nothing I`m desperately sad to lose. :)

I'm glad it's not a rare or out-of-print book, but that they are recent books that you could rebuy and are not desperately sad to lose.

37 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

Dad got another free ride in an ambulance yesterday - tachycardia and atrial fib. - the hospital did lots of tests ( though, he`s waiting for a heart scan )  and discharged him with meds. Phew. :)

The best to your dad :flowers2:.

40 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

Glad your dad is doing better!

Hey y'all!

Not much happening from home. Just housing the grands as the air conditioning has died in their house and temps have reached 92 degrees INSIDE. They will have to move again as the owner of the house says she doesn't have the money to fix it. Who the bloody so and so rents property without having the ability to maintain the property?!  She's been threatened with a lawsuit as well as her property manager because he was aware that this issue before listing it. You cannot live in 92 degree heat and no breeze. They can't even cook in the house because its so hot. The humidity is no joke.

Speaking of humidity, our daughter and grands traveled to visit us from Texas, we live in South Carolina. They left to go back home on Sunday and got back Monday (23.5 hours).  Monday night our little grand daughter started having breathing issues and running a temp. We initially thought it was a bug she picked up from her cousins as they were having runny noses from the inadequate cooling in the houses. Nope, that's not it. After running dozens of tests, they have come to the conclusion that Z suffers from Restrictive Airway Disease. This basically means that whenever she travels to an area that has a different climate, especially humid, she will deal with this. There's no cure, only treatments and almost anything can trigger it. This poor little one has had so many health issues from birth. It breaks my heart.

1 hour ago, Virginia said:

Speaking of humidity, our daughter and grands traveled to visit us from Texas, we live in South Carolina. They left to go back home on Sunday and got back Monday (23.5 hours).  Monday night our little grand daughter started having breathing issues and running a temp. We initially thought it was a bug she picked up from her cousins as they were having runny noses from the inadequate cooling in the houses. Nope, that's not it. After running dozens of tests, they have come to the conclusion that Z suffers from Restrictive Airway Disease. This basically means that whenever she travels to an area that has a different climate, especially humid, she will deal with this. There's no cure, only treatments and almost anything can trigger it. This poor little one has had so many health issues from birth. It breaks my heart.

I'm so sorry to hear of your granddaughter's condition :(.

I am sorry too to hear about all the family health concerns going on at the moment. Coran and I are going round to see the cats again in about half an hour to try and coax them into their boxes so the Vet can give them the once over. I hope it goes a bit better this time - we are taking some gloves with us just in case as the claws might be out! :angcat:   

The cats are home and we are delighted. When we got round to the house just after 5pm they were safely ensconced in their carriers and waiting for us patiently. One of them has a slight abscess on one of her teeth which may have to come out at some point, but other than that they are both very healthy, just a little timid. They will come around though once they have settled in with us. They are both hiding at the moment - one in a corner of the room behind one of our cabinets and the other behind the TV, but that is perfectly normal and to be expected. It has been a tough old day for them after all, being put in those carriers, taken from their home and looked at by the vet - having injections and worm tablets and flea powder rubbed on them and then arriving in a strange home with 2 people that they don't know all that well. They each have a bowl of fish though in their little hidey holes, a fresh bowl of water and a clean litter tray, so as long as they use all of these we are happy. It is just so lovely to have them home though. The neighbour who has been feeding them is going to really miss them - but we have said she is welcome to visit whenever she likes.  I just know though that the 4 of us are going to be such good friends. :kiss:  

9 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm glad it's not a rare or out-of-print book, but that they are recent books that you could rebuy and are not desperately sad to lose.

The best to your dad :flowers2:.

Thank you. :D

Hopefully the upcoming scan won`t show any heart valve problems like his Sister had, and the meds will take care of things. :)

5 hours ago, Talisman said:

I am sorry too to hear about all the family health concerns going on at the moment. Coran and I are going round to see the cats again in about half an hour to try and coax them into their boxes so the Vet can give them the once over. I hope it goes a bit better this time - we are taking some gloves with us just in case as the claws might be out! :angcat:   

Good luck with the new family members. :)

11 hours ago, Talisman said:

The cats are home and we are delighted. When we got round to the house just after 5pm they were safely ensconced in their carriers and waiting for us patiently. One of them has a slight abscess on one of her teeth which may have to come out at some point, but other than that they are both very healthy, just a little timid. They will come around though once they have settled in with us. They are both hiding at the moment - one in a corner of the room behind one of our cabinets and the other behind the TV, but that is perfectly normal and to be expected. It has been a tough old day for them after all, being put in those carriers, taken from their home and looked at by the vet - having injections and worm tablets and flea powder rubbed on them and then arriving in a strange home with 2 people that they don't know all that well. They each have a bowl of fish though in their little hidey holes, a fresh bowl of water and a clean litter tray, so as long as they use all of these we are happy. It is just so lovely to have them home though. The neighbour who has been feeding them is going to really miss them - but we have said she is welcome to visit whenever she likes.  I just know though that the 4 of us are going to be such good friends. :kiss:  

That sounds lovely, I wish the 4 of you a lot of fun :singcat:.

This morning we took the dogs for a dog walk. We hadn't done that in a few days, because my dad has been away or has had to leave the house early and come back late. The dogs really enjoyed their walk. It looked like it was going to rain, but it didn't (it still looks that way, so maybe it will rain later).

The cats are a little unsettled as it is all new to them, but they will get there. The boldest of the two, Billie, has been exploring the house and sniffing everything. She is a very loving cat and was on both of our laps this morning having a good purr and sniff. The shyest of the two, Becky in the meantime gave us a bit of a fright. We heard  one of them come into our bedroom in the night meowing but couldn't see any eyes so thought they were probably just exploring, but when we woke up we couldn't find Becky anywhere. Eventually we found her hiding under the bed. We have one of those beds that can be raised, so when Coran raised her half during the night Becky crawled underneath - that must have been the meowing we heard. :singcat:

I of cause had to go to work but Coran was at home today and she tells me that Becky found her way out by late morning. At the moment she is hiding under the settee but she seems quite content there so we are not worried. Neither of them have eaten or used the litter box but again that's normal and to be expected. I got them both a cat igloo on the way home tonight which should help them by providing a safe place to retreat to as they start to get bolder. We are going to shut the bedroom door tonight though just in case! If they still don't eat tomorrow we will get some cat milk from Sainsburys as apparently they like that and it contains a lot of vitamins and things that they need.  

Bad news on the leak and the damaged books, Sarah. :(

Reminds me of when we had our loft done. They chose to take the roof off at the worst possible time as it rained massively and they hadn't covered it up properly. We were at a festival at the time, so my parents & brother in law went in to help clear up. All the ceiling wallpaper in the front bedroom came down and luckily all the bookshelves in there had plastic sheeting over them, so they allsurvived. However, Tom had a few books on his bedside cabinet in the back bedroom and they got damaged - one or two irrevocably so - including the second Sword of Truth book. :o Luckily I'd already read it by then, but it stopped Tom from reading on, which is obviously a great tragedy. :lol:  

I seem to have been away for some weeks but during that time I had a lovely 4 day trip to Bruges with my mum & sister (leaving the kids at home!), my boy turned 6 last week and we celebrated 10 years of marriage by seeing the Foo fighters at the Olympic Stadium on Friday - it was fantastic!

I am also enjoying the world cup so far. I wasn't all that fussed about it to begin with, but I have got sucked in! :)

Hope everyone is good?

3 hours ago, More reading time required said:

Reminds me of when we had our loft done. They chose to take the roof off at the worst possible time as it rained massively and they hadn't covered it up properly. We were at a festival at the time, so my parents & brother in law went in to help clear up. All the ceiling wallpaper in the front bedroom came down and luckily all the bookshelves in there had plastic sheeting over them, so they allsurvived. However, Tom had a few books on his bedside cabinet in the back bedroom and they got damaged - one or two irrevocably so - including the second Sword of Truth book. :o Luckily I'd already read it by then, but it stopped Tom from reading on, which is obviously a great tragedy. :lol:  

I seem to have been away for some weeks but during that time I had a lovely 4 day trip to Bruges with my mum & sister (leaving the kids at home!), my boy turned 6 last week and we celebrated 10 years of marriage by seeing the Foo fighters at the Olympic Stadium on Friday - it was fantastic!

I am also enjoying the world cup so far. I wasn't all that fussed about it to begin with, but I have got sucked in! :)

Hope everyone is good?

Congratulations on your anniversary :) 

About the world cup it didn't seem advertised all that much but I see people getting into it more so now. I am not really watching it but I will be supporting my country all the way. 

12 hours ago, More reading time required said:

Sorry to hear about what happened when your loft was done :(. What a mess :(.

I had a nice weekend. Michael and I spent some time with my parents. We had dinner together with the four of us. I went shopping with them, and I went on a long dog walk with them too (and of course also with the dogs). Today it's time to rest a bit. My parents worked in the garden yesterday afternoon and it was pretty noisy (leafblower, streamer, hedge cutter thingy), which was difficult for me.

15 hours ago, More reading time required said:

Hope everyone is good?

Anniversary congrats, Michelle. :D

Grr at the loft damage. :( What a shame about the Sword of Truth book. ;) Are you sure it wasn`t a critic visiting the house wot dunnit ? :lol:

3 hours ago, Athena said:

Sorry to hear about what happened when your loft was done :(. What a mess :(.

I had a nice weekend. Michael and I spent some time with my parents. We had dinner together with the four of us. I went shopping with them, and I went on a long dog walk with them too (and of course also with the dogs). Today it's time to rest a bit. My parents worked in the garden yesterday afternoon and it was pretty noisy (leafblower, streamer, hedge cutter thingy), which was difficult for me.

Boo. :(

5 days left of my Kindle Unlimited thingy and I`m trying to cram in lots of books. Reading 3 books a day atm. :lol:

The cats are settling in nicely and getting bolder each day. Becky is a little shyer than her sister and needs a bit of coaxing but if you sit down next to her on a cushion she will come up to you for a cuddle and sit on your lap. Her sister in contrast is all over you like a rash! At this rate it won't be long before we have to start thinking about a cat flap!

It was an eventful weekend for me - I went up to London for the People's Vote March that some of you may have seen on the BBC News. I met up with a large contingent of other Lib Dems from Mole Valley and we went on the train together from Leatherhead, completely taking over one of the carriages. The reaction from everyone on the train was brilliant - everyone was offering words of support. When we got to the meeting point at St James Square I couldn't believe my eyes - I have never seen that many people in all my life. There were so many people it took us an hour and half before we were able to gain access to Pall Mall where the march took place. They estimate that there were at least 100,000 people there - the biggest anti Brexit march since the Vote took place and probably since the Iraq War protests. It was just awesome to see so many people all united and together. I ordered a T shirt especially for the event and an EU flag which I carried with pride, with a whistle so I could make some noise - others were a lot more creative as you may have seen on the media coverage. Parliament Square was absolutely rammed full of people and I couldn't even get in there. I sat by the railings at Westminster tube to listen to most of the speeches instead - Gina Miller was there, along with the actor Tony Robinson and various people from the different political parties - Vince Cable, Caroline Lucas and David Lammy among others. It was a brilliant day!

Yesterday was quieter after all the exertions - Coran had a piano lesson in the afternoon and I just stayed home and read with the cats!    

19 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

5 days left of my Kindle Unlimited thingy and I`m trying to cram in lots of books. Reading 3 books a day atm. :lol:

Good luck!!

17 hours ago, Talisman said:

The cats are settling in nicely and getting bolder each day. Becky is a little shyer than her sister and needs a bit of coaxing but if you sit down next to her on a cushion she will come up to you for a cuddle and sit on your lap. Her sister in contrast is all over you like a rash! At this rate it won't be long before we have to start thinking about a cat flap!

It was an eventful weekend for me - I went up to London for the People's Vote March that some of you may have seen on the BBC News. I met up with a large contingent of other Lib Dems from Mole Valley and we went on the train together from Leatherhead, completely taking over one of the carriages. The reaction from everyone on the train was brilliant - everyone was offering words of support. When we got to the meeting point at St James Square I couldn't believe my eyes - I have never seen that many people in all my life. There were so many people it took us an hour and half before we were able to gain access to Pall Mall where the march took place. They estimate that there were at least 100,000 people there - the biggest anti Brexit march since the Vote took place and probably since the Iraq War protests. It was just awesome to see so many people all united and together. I ordered a T shirt especially for the event and an EU flag which I carried with pride, with a whistle so I could make some noise - others were a lot more creative as you may have seen on the media coverage. Parliament Square was absolutely rammed full of people and I couldn't even get in there. I sat by the railings at Westminster tube to listen to most of the speeches instead - Gina Miller was there, along with the actor Tony Robinson and various people from the different political parties - Vince Cable, Caroline Lucas and David Lammy among others. It was a brilliant day!

Yesterday was quieter after all the exertions - Coran had a piano lesson in the afternoon and I just stayed home and read with the cats!    

I'm glad the cats are settling in well :).

That sounds like a busy weekend! But I'm glad you had a great time. It's awesome so many people showed up and that there was so much support :).

6 hours ago, Athena said:

Good luck!!

I'm glad the cats are settling in well :).

That sounds like a busy weekend! But I'm glad you had a great time. It's awesome so many people showed up and that there was so much support :).

Yes, it was great - the BBC don't normally give much coverage to these things, so to make headlines on the 6 o'clock news was really encouraging.