What's Up in June? - 2018

Athena

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been beautiful weather here this weekend with temperatures into the mid 20's. Coran and I have made the most of it by getting out and about. We managed to get all the grass cut yesterday and in the afternoon went to see Solo at the cinema. This morning we went out for an iced coffee and then this afternoon we went to Polesden Lacey to sit out in the sun and listen to the jazz, which started for the summer season. It was a trio of musicians this time - on guitar, saxophone and double bass respectively. We took a picnic with us and in my case a few cans of beer - which was a great way to spend the afternoon.  

After cloudy mornings the weather turned out beautiful both days, yesterday I went up to Hampstead Heath with some friends, we had a picnic lunch and then walked to the top where there's a famous view over London, then came back down and found a café for tea (and a loo!).  It was lovely, especially as the last time we tried to do this it poured so we spent all the time in the café!  A sweet family of swans came out of the pond and posed for pictures for everyone on the grass which was a nice surprise.

Hey y'all!

The boards been pretty quiet huh?

It's been a bit busy around here the last couple of weeks. We had friends come spend the day with us last Saturday. They picked a great day to visit. We went out to a lovely seafood restaurant and then sat on our dock with drinks and duck watching. It was very relaxing. Hadn't seen them in over 20 years! The previous week was spent playing taxi driver to dh. We have two vehicles, the SUV and a little get about. Hubby drives the get about to work and back, that's about it. We'll last year I went to have the title transferred from m-i-l (she gave him the car) and somehow they put the title in ds name. Two problems, ds had to pay the taxes on HIS vehicle before he could transfer it back to hubby's name. DS is the "II" and it prevented us from doing the paperwork. So I had to spend most of the afternoon getting it taken care of. It's taken MONTHS. But for the past several months I've had to get up and drop him off and then pick him up. The problem is that he is always getting off late. Last week he worked about 95 hours. Friday night I didn't pick him up til 0100!! It really kept me on a short leash so to speak. I've also been doing the granny thing and taking dd to run errands. 

Today is the first time in so many weeks where I can stay home with no intentions of going out. I picked dd up for a doctors appointment but had to reschedule it because we were late. Instead of taking them (dd and grands) back home, we just came to my house and relaxed outside. They stretched their legs and dd got to relax in the backyard and watch the water. I dropped them off by lunch time and am now relaxing and watching The Causal Vacancy. I'll throw some stir fry and mandarin chicken in the wok for dinner and that will do it for me.  Tomorrow afternoon I'll have to take dd to the rescheduled appt and then Saturday I'm taking the kids to the water park. 

What have you guys been up to?

It has been a really weird sort  of week for me when it felt like I got loads of stuff done but did nothing all at the same time! We are planning a relaxing weekend where we do as little as possible. Tonight though Coran and I are going to the annual talent show for the wonderful clients that I work with - they will be singing, dancing and offering all sorts of entertainment and you won't be able to get them off the stage! It will be a long night as there's 27 acts to get through and they have saved the best for last!   

Edited by Talisman

Had a day out at the seaside today - chips for lunch, ice-cream to follow and then spent £2 and half an hour in the amusement arcade on the 2p drop machine, from which I won a key ring and 20 tickets! :lol: Just like being a kid again ;) 

It has been pretty hot here this past weekend. I spent some time shopping with my mum at the local market and in town. My brother and his partner/girlfriend came over for lunch, it was fun to spend some time with them :).

I went bowling yesterday and made my usual dismal performance, got one strike but came last in both games ,with a score of 66.  Went for a Chinese meal afterwards.  Also did some gardening which was nice.

Hey y'all!

Quiet day today, well, as quiet as 6 grandkids can be. Hubby is working on his car and I've cleaned the house and washed my hair. I'll putter around with the kids for the rest of the day til their parents pick them up. 

Saturday I took the grands to the local park with a water feature. I also took a nice walk around SodaCity (outdoor market held downtown every Saturday) and a quick walk through Barnes and Noble. Very nice day. Sunday was spent at home lazing about. I ran out to drop off diapers for Sarah. Her daddy worked out of town and didn't get home til last night. Baby couldn't wait til then for her diapers, lol! So, I dropped off what I had around the house. Otherwise, it was a Midsomer Murders kind of day.

What are y'all up to?

18 hours ago, muggle not said:

Latter part of May and this month has not been great. Lots of stuff going on that I could do without.

Hope you are feeling better very soon.

I am going to a family friend wedding tomorrow and the venue is only a 5 minute drive from my parents house, so my brother and his partner are up and my sister and husband will be over for tea tonight, so my dad will be over the moon. 

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 11:15 PM, muggle not said:

Latter part of May and this month has not been great. Lots of stuff going on that I could do without.

Sorry to hear that muggle.

Life is quite good for me in contrast - I am tired, but that's normal and partly due to the time of year anyway with the lighter mornings.

There is quite a lot going on at the moment though for both of us. It's Corans birthday tomorrow (her 65th) and mine on Thursday so we are going out for a nice lunch tomorrow to celebrate - tomorrow is also our 21st anniversary - I am not sure where the time has gone. Things have been busy at work as well - starting on Monday the cleaning team are pretty much off work for their summer holidays back to back. I made sure I got all the appraisals done then before that happened, which wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. 

The big news though is that it looks as if we may be adopting new cats. One of the ladies on our park died at the end of April, leaving her 2 cats (two sisters from the same litter) behind. Her son can't take them as he has a large dog, the neighbour who has been coming in to feed them can't either as she has 2 dogs. Coran and I have been to see them a few times and just fell in love with them both. They are 11 years old and one of them is very timid but the bolder one is very friendly and once her sister sees her getting to know us we hope this will encourage the other one. We have said that we will take them subject to the vet saying they are okay, and arranged to meet the daughter in law and neighbour at the house yesterday, but between the four of us we couldn't get them into their cat carriers, so we had to change the appointment to Wednesday instead. The neighbour is going to try and get them in one room when she feeds them on Wednesday which should hopefully make this a bit easier next time. In the meantime we have agreed that we will spend some time with them when they come through the cat flap to play in the garden and try and get to know them a bit better that way. We have bought them a little dangly mouse then to play with in the hopes that this might tempt them to come towards us a bit more and will visit them again on this afternoon.    

16 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Caron, fingers crossed for the cats and congrats. :)

Muggle, hope you feel better soon. :flowers2:

Thank you - but who's Caron?! ;)

We went to see the cats yesterday afternoon and they seemed a lot more affectionate. This may have been because the daughter in law was there clearing out the house which meant that they had company. The shy one kept coming up to me and rubbing her nose against me which is the first time she has done that. Her sister got the hump I think as the other one was getting all the attention! 

Edited by Talisman

6 hours ago, Talisman said:

Thank you - but who's Caron?! ;)

We went to see the cats yesterday afternoon and they seemed a lot more affectionate. This may have been because the daughter in law was there clearing out the house which meant that they had company. The shy one kept coming up to me and rubbing her nose against me which is the first time she has done that. Her sister got the hump I think as the other one was getting all the attention! 

Oops. :giggle2: Well, if you don`t know... ;)

Did a nice walk on Saturday in Epping Forest, had a tea stop at 11.00 and then lunch by one of the (man-made) lakes and watched the bird families, marvelled at how good the parents were and watched a swan chase off a Canada Goose, and a couple of herons flying around as well.  Very civilised and for once no muddy paths!

Hey y'all!

Had a pleasant week last week and a nicer weekend. Our eldest dd and three grands visited from Texas and were here in time for my mother in laws birthday cookout hosted at our home. It was lovely weather, fantastic food, great company and she really enjoyed herself! I got to spend time with 9 of our grands and it was just too precious! The house was full to bursting from Wednesday til Sunday morning when Dd and the kids traveled back to Texas. The house is in order (made sure of that Saturday evening). We're now just relaxing and recuperating til hubby goes back to work tomorrow. Then its a matter of keeping cool and keeping my plants from dying.

What have y'all been up to? The board has been really quiet!

Leak in my bathroom this afternoon, water cascading down through the ceiling into the diningroom - where my books are ! Aargghh !  Found a plumber after a couple of hours, and it`s semi-fixed. Thankfully Dad is really handy and turned the water off, ripped open wooden panelling and found the leak, stopped it himself. The plumber isolated it with, erm, better plumbing supplies ? Anyway, crisis averted. Maybe 20 books injured, 5 badly.  And the diningroom will need new wallpaper on one wall, when it`s all dried out.  Could`ve been worse, I suppose. :)

7 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Leak in my bathroom this afternoon, water cascading down through the ceiling into the diningroom - where my books are ! Aargghh !  Found a plumber after a couple of hours, and it`s semi-fixed. Thankfully Dad is really handy and turned the water off, ripped open wooden panelling and found the leak, stopped it himself. The plumber isolated it with, erm, better plumbing supplies ? Anyway, crisis averted. Maybe 20 books injured, 5 badly.  And the diningroom will need new wallpaper on one wall, when it`s all dried out.  Could`ve been worse, I suppose. :)

I'm glad your dad and the plumber were able to semi-fix things. But I'm sorry about the damage :(. That's not nice at all :(. I'm glad it wasn't worse.

8 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm glad your dad and the plumber were able to semi-fix things. But I'm sorry about the damage :(. That's not nice at all :(. I'm glad it wasn't worse.

Thank you. :D

The ceiling seems fine today - it`s one of those 1970`s textured ones which are impossible to remove. :lol: