Your Book Activity - June 2018

frankie

My car had to get MOT'd so I found myself in WHSmith for the first time in a very long time! I'd forgotten how much fun it is to browse physical books. :D

I ended up buying:

The Outsider - Stephen King

Homo Deus - Yuval Noah Harari

How To Stop Time - Matt Haig

I also popped into our local bookshop to buy a couple of books on the history and walks of our new area. 

I'm still reading Altered Carbon (might start watching the series after I finish) and then I will start The Outsider

Finished Islander, an excellent read, 5/6, put The Radetzky March on brief hold, and barged my way through The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein, as I needed to read it for my book group.  A decent enough read, but didn't grab me particularly strongly, even skimming a couple of chapters, although the premise (story told through the eyes of the main human protagonist's dog) was an unusual and intriguing one, if not unique. 3/6.

Brief reviews of both Islander and The Art of Racing in the Rain, posted on my blog thread.  In the meantime, back to The Radetzky March.

Edited by willoyd

On 11.6.2018 at 11:06 AM, willoyd said:

Just over a hundred pages in, and have come to a halt with The Paying Guests.  Nothing particularly wrong with the book, it just seems all a bit tedious and obvious.  Having said that, I am starting to think it may be more my mndset than the books, as that's the fourth in the past six that I've not finished, more than I usually fail to finish in a year, so setting some sort of not particularly welcome record.

On 12.6.2018 at 12:51 AM, Janet said:

If you can face trying another, I think you'd enjoy Fingersmith.  It has a similar feel to The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber, which I think you liked (?) about it.  :)

I'm a bit late to this, but I've read The Paying Guests and I found it tedious as well! It was a very particular kind of a shame because I enjoyed Fingersmith, which Jänet has mentioned by the same author, so much more! In case you want to read more by the author, do try Fingersmith :)  I've read The Crimson Petal and the White and even though I agree in that they have the same kind of atmospheric kind of thing, I personally far more liked Fingersmith :)

I'm currently reading The Beach House by Jane Green. It suits my scattered brain at the moment quite well! 

On 21/06/2018 at 11:16 PM, frankie said:

I'm a bit late to this, but I've read The Paying Guests and I found it tedious as well! It was a very particular kind of a shame because I enjoyed Fingersmith, which Jänet has mentioned by the same author, so much more! In case you want to read more by the author, do try Fingersmith :)  I've read The Crimson Petal and the White and even though I agree in that they have the same kind of atmospheric kind of thing, I personally far more liked Fingersmith :)

Thanks for that Frankie - a relief to know I wasn't the only one on The Paying Guests; maybe it wasn't my mood set (I've had a couple more positive experiences since!).  I will give Fingersmith a go sometime.  I loved The Crimson Petal and the White, as Janet correctly recalls, and I equally loved the film The Handmaid's Tal' which I gather is based on Fingersmith, so the omens are good! 

Last month I finished How Not to be a Boy by Robert Webb & read The Unmumsy Mum diary by Sarah Turner. This month I read Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery (a round robin book) and started Into the Water by Paula Hawkins, which I've nearly finished.  I also noticed that Danny Wallace's new book F*** You Very Much was 99p on Kindle, so I downloaded that onto my phone on Friday at Stratford tube station to read just before I went 'underground'.   

I'm still kinda stuck in the same place in The Dark Tower. :lol: 

I'm reading Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult, I'm liking it a lot so far. It's been a while since I read one of her books. I did just realise there was a short e-book story that precedes the book and gives a bit of backstory to one of the characters. I bought it when I also got the paperback of the book, but I had forgot about the story until today. So I'll be reading Shine by Jodi Picoult first (on my Kindle) before I continue on with Small Great Things.

I have just finished War Horse. Superb! Just started We Have Always Lived In The CastleI have a little idea of what this book is about. I have read The Lottery by the same author and thinking about that now really creeps me out. So if this one does the same I do think I will like it. 

I finished Into the Water which was nowhere near as good as Girl on a Train, but still fairly compelling. I've now started Dummy by Matt Coyne, which is another 'real-life parenting social media blogger' book spin off. It's hilarious. I've properly guffawed whilst reading it, so I've nearly finished it. :lol: 

On 24.6.2018 at 8:49 PM, willoyd said:

Thanks for that Frankie - a relief to know I wasn't the only one on The Paying Guests; maybe it wasn't my mood set (I've had a couple more positive experiences since!).  I will give Fingersmith a go sometime.  I loved The Crimson Petal and the White, as Janet correctly recalls, and I equally loved the film The Handmaid's Tal' which I gather is based on Fingersmith, so the omens are good! 

You certainly aren't the only one! :) I hope you will like Fingersmith when you get to it! :smile2:The Handmaid's Tale is based on a novel by Margaret Atwood, bearing the same name, though. Unless there's another THT movie I don't know about! 

Since my last post, I've finished Surprise Me by Sophie Kinsella, and read The Beach House by Jane Green and a Finnish novel, Kaikki anteeksi by Laura Manninen. It's been a good reading month for me! :D 

4 hours ago, frankie said:

You certainly aren't the only one! :) I hope you will like Fingersmith when you get to it! :smile2:The Handmaid's Tale is based on a novel by Margaret Atwood, bearing the same name, though. Unless there's another THT movie I don't know about! 

Quite right, my mistake!  The film was called The Handmaiden, not The Handmaid's Tale!  It came out last year - I saw it at the Leeds International Film Festival last autumn.  Superb film, thoroughly recommended.

• Athena unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2018 at 1:30 AM, willoyd said:

Quite right, my mistake!  The film was called The Handmaiden, not The Handmaid's Tale!  It came out last year - I saw it at the Leeds International Film Festival last autumn.  Superb film, thoroughly recommended.

Well that's an easily made mistake, innit! :) (I mean, I can see how you made it!) 

Edited by frankie