• Announcements

• Michelle

Important Announcement!   07/28/2018

Dear BCF members,   This forum has been running now for many years, and over that time we have seen many changes. Generalised forums are nowhere near as popular as they once were, and they have been very much taken over by blogs, vlogs and social media discussions. Running a forum well takes money, and a lot of care and attention, as there is so much which goes on behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly.   With all of this in mind, and after discussion within the current moderator team, the decision has been made to close this forum in its current format. I know that this will disappoint a lot of our long term members, but I want to reassure you that it's not a decision which has been taken lightly.    The remaining moderator team have agreed that we do not want to lose everything which is special about our home, and so we are starting a brand new facebook group, so that people can stay in touch, and discussions can continue. We can use it for free and should be easier for us to run (it won't need to be updated or hosted). We know not everyone has FaceBook, but we hope that those of you who are interested will join the group. We will share the link, and send invites as soon as we are ready to go. Added: We may as well get this going, find us here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195289821332924/   The forum will close to new registrations, but will remain open for some time, to allow people to collect up any information, reading lists etc they need to, and to ensure they have contact details for those they wish to stay in touch with.    The whole team feel sad to say goodbye, but we also feel that it's perhaps time and that it feels like the right choice. We hope we can stay in touch with all of you through our new FaceBook group.   I personally want to thank everyone who has helped me moderate the forum, both in the past and the present, and I also want to thank every single person who has visited, and shared their love of books.. I'm so proud of everything we've achieved, and the home we built.   Please visit the new section in the Lounge section to discuss this further, ask questions etc.
Sign in to follow this  
Bexinthecity05

From Earth to Moon - Jules Verne (Help with this book)

Hi All!
I found this book in a pile of junk our company picked up to recycle (we're a recycling company) and I need some help with it.

Firstly- any idea of age?

Secondly I've been unable to find any copy of this book with the same cover. The cover was on a different Jules Verne book so I am really confused. Have the two been put together?

Also what does it mean by 'Author's copyright edition'? 

Thanks in advance

20180504_123057.jpg

.20180504_123107.jpg

I am no expert, but the Author's Copyright Edition comment may be significant. I'd suggest Googling that to see what it means. You may have a rare book, or you may not, but that looks encouraging to me! Good luck! 

What a pretty book! I can't believe someone put it in the recycling :o

I could be wrong but I think it probably states 'author's copyright edition' because of the issues raised about copyright in the mid 1800s. Particularly the fact that books were being printed and sold in America without the authors permission (and obviously without them receiving any money for their books there). It was an issue Dickens was very involved in and I can't remember the exact year but it did end up bringing in some new laws about reprinting books. I think 'author's copyright edition' literally means that that this is an edition which has the author's permission to be reprinted and sold, under those new laws.  

I thought the cover thing was very weird, but I did an image search for the publishers and Jules Verne and it looks like they used the same cover for a lot of his books. I have no idea why, it looks like it was designed for 'The Mysterious Island' to me. 

Anyway, I followed the image search and found this website with the publication history of 'From the Earth to the Moon,' which says your edition is circa 1920 http://julesverne.ca/vernebooks/jvbkfromearth.html

I'm glad you saved it from being recycled :lol: