What's Up in May? - 2018

Athena

It was quite cold here last night and this morning, hasn't rained yet but not sure how warm it is.  We haven't had that horrible humidity at night so far, thankfully!

29 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

It was quite cold here last night and this morning, hasn't rained yet but not sure how warm it is.  We haven't had that horrible humidity at night so far, thankfully!

You're so lucky, I'm jealous. I have sweat dripping down my face right now because it's so damn humid and there's no air conditioning in my office.

Jus been out at lunchtime and it is quite muggy now and overcast, not nice at all.  Have you got a fan or something that might help?  Is anyone else in your office suffering as badly, maybe you could get together and get a portable air con unit or something similar.

4 hours ago, Nollaig said:

I finally finished my Masters for the year (and perhaps forever, depending on how I feel in December!) It really was grueling, nowhere near as engaging or worthwhile as the cert before it. I was just aiming for passing grades by the end. Glad it's done, more time for me!

Congratulations :flowers2:!!

I'm sorry the weather over there is too hot for you Noll :(. I hope it cools down for you soon.

@Madeleine I hope your weather improves soon!

It's been really hot here too, with temperatures between 26 - 32 °C during the past one or two weeks (I can't quite remember how long for!). It's been humid too. It's quite hot in the bakery so I've been wearing lighter clothes than my usual ones. It's quite hot outside. The weather predictions say it'll be a bit cooler by next weekend, and I'm hoping so! Michael and I would both like some cooler weather, let's say 15 - 25 °C. A lot of people in my country yesterday had heavy rain and hail and there are lots of water damages and floodings. We didn't get a spot of rain which is a shame because it didn't cool down, but then I'm also very very glad we don't have any flooding or water damage here.

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 4:37 PM, Madeleine said:

Sounds brilliant Talisman, the music is fabulous isn't it?  Nice you were able to make a "short break" out of it too!

Yes it really is great music. It was brilliant to see it all live on the big screen and I am really glad we were able to go. The timing was brilliant with it being a Bank Holiday as it meant I didn't have to take extra days off from work. 

6 hours ago, Nollaig said:

I finally finished my Masters for the year (and perhaps forever, depending on how I feel in December!) It really was grueling, nowhere near as engaging or worthwhile as the cert before it. I was just aiming for passing grades by the end. Glad it's done, more time for me!

Went to see Derren Brown last night, think it's the first time he's been in Cork. Was fun to see him live, although I've seen all the tricks in the show (as it's a Best Of), before, so that took away from it a little. Still, he got me a couple of times, and it was fun to see stuff like the blindfolded mind reading in real life.

It's way too hot here for me now, over 20 (22-26 usually) degrees every day. I know that's not hot by most peoples' standards, but it's near 100% humidity all the time, doesn't go down below 15 degrees at night, so I basically just just have to turn my head and sweat pours out of every pore. On Monday I went to Smyth's with OH to pick up a new game, 45 mins total maybe in the sun, and I had a pounding headache for the rest of the day. Every time I took a damp cloth off my head there was an incredible pressure all along the surface of my head which felt like my brain trying to escape. Rotten. Hate heat and summer. Roll on Winter!

Congratulations on the Masters. I know what you mean about the heat. Anything more than 25 degrees is a bit too much for me too - it's not so bad on the continent but here the humidity is a real killer. Unluckily for me I work in an environment where almost everyone else is the other way around (i.e. they feel the cold) so the temperature is pretty much always uncomfortable for me. Having an active job where you sweat a lot doesn't help either. Wearing a bra is the real killer - I hate those things when its warm. When I was younger and things were a bit perkier :rolleyes: I could get away without wearing one, but it's more difficult now as everything is starting to droop! 

Yes anything over mid-20s is really uncomfortable, but the humidity is the worst.  It's been a bit cooler here this week, in the teens or so but still quite humid.

• Athena unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...