Featured Author - Jennifer McKenzie

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit that I decided against a detailed sex scene in my book - not because I was embarrassed about writing it - but because I didn't like the idea of my mam reading it!

And about detailed sex scenes. My mom read Nora Roberts and she still didn't like the sex scenes in "Heart Of The Storm". But she loved the rest of it... She knows I write "smut".

I don't like closed door sex or too many euphemisms (crashing waves anyone?) so I've been lucky in my publishing experiences.

Another multi-part question based on the three quotes above:

1. Do you get embarrassed at the thought of family and friends reading your "steamier" scenes and wondering what goes on in your head?

2. Have your family and friends been more or less supportive than you thought they would when they realised you were writing "smut"?

3. How do you go about finding euphemisms that aren't cringe-worthy? (I've read some humdingers in my time that just made me guffaw over how bad they were!)

Another multi-part question based on the three quotes above:

1. Do you get embarrassed at the thought of family and friends reading your "steamier" scenes and wondering what goes on in your head?

2. Have your family and friends been more or less supportive than you thought they would when they realised you were writing "smut"?

3. How do you go about finding euphemisms that aren't cringe-worthy? (I've read some humdingers in my time that just made me guffaw over how bad they were!)

1. Yes, I do get embarrassed. When my husband reads my stuff, it's a little nerve wracking. I usually squirm in my chair. And putting a book out is always sharing a little more of myself. Sometimes that's difficult because it can be shredded, rejected and criticized.

2. My husband and my best friend have been my biggest fans. My Mom and sisters have been happy I'm writing but it's weird for them to read a "romance" written by someone they know. It's easier to read love scenes written by a stranger. :lol:

3. I joke about the "crashing waves" euphemism, but I've used the "waves" one on occasion. :D Using any "metaphor" for sex is ALWAYS risky. But if you get too "graphic" that's also a problem.

*shrugs* I figure my books have a least one or two snorts for somebody. I do avoid the "heaving bosoms" and gasping heroines. I think the word that gave me the worst problem was in Christine Feehan's book "Conspiracy Games" she used the word "cream" over and over and over again. ICK. ;)

I think the word "member" isn't one I like much. But the truth is, I run out of ways to say things. The trick is to stay within the mood of the story. If I'm in a historical and start using graphic description, the reader is pulled right out of the story. Or if I'm writing a contemporary and start getting restrained and flowery with my description of sex, again, pulls the reader out of the story.

Does that make sense?

Does that make sense?

It all makes perfect sense. Thank you. :lol:

Another quick one (you'll get sick of me, you know!). Have you ever considered writing in any other genres? If so, which do you think you'd go for and why?

That surprises me a little, actually. Is it that readers seem to generally want sex in their romance books.. or that the readers who like erotic want it hotter?

It's a money decision. Believe it or not, erotic romance (which is difficult to define) sells VERY well. Publishers will go by sales.

In Electronic books, erotic romance makes up a huge chunk of book sales.

Even Harlequin Romances has begun a "Spice" line to fill the customer request for more explicit sex in romances.

Honestly, I think it's possible to write a well written romance with NO sex scenes. Some of my favorite romances are closed door.

Hallmark did an adaptation of "Love Comes Softly", a fabulous romance. Guess what? No sex. Great story.

I think it's a mistake to cater to one part of the romance reading population. If a writer is a "sweet" writer, there's a market out there, no matter WHAT the numbers say.

Have you ever considered writing in any other genres? If so, which do you think you'd go for and why?
(I want to know this too:))

And, I was just thinking about this the other day when I saw a new book by the author who wrote a book set in Wisconsin (hey! does your sister live there? my home turf!). Her new one is set in California, and I wondered if authors research their settings or write what they know? Have you been to Alaska?

I like the format of your stuff on line!

:lol:

It all makes perfect sense. Thank you. :D

Another quick one (you'll get sick of me, you know!). Have you ever considered writing in any other genres? If so, which do you think you'd go for and why?

Sorry I missed this Kell.

I've written Contemporary, Sci Fi, a fantasy (currently uncontracted) romantic suspense and paranormal.

That pretty much leaves historical (nope) and chick lit (I don't think so).

So, no not really

(I want to know this too:))

And, I was just thinking about this the other day when I saw a new book by the author who wrote a book set in Wisconsin (hey! does your sister live there? my home turf!). Her new one is set in California, and I wondered if authors research their settings or write what they know? Have you been to Alaska?

I like the format of your stuff on line!

:)

(My sister lives in Madison, WI.)

I do some research online, but a lot of the information I had for Alaska was from a fisherman I knew that was on a trawler out there. I've never been to Alaska which I HATE to admit.:lol: I actually had a Unalaska resident (a small town in Alaska) buy my book and said he'd "make sure I got it right":thud:

I told him I didn't. ;)

I hope that answers your question.

When did you first know you wanted to be a writer ? At school or some other time? Were you good at essay writing at school? Who encouraged you,inspired you to take the plunge into writing?

Sorry so many questions at once!!:lol:

Writing always seemed to be a dream but I never thought I'd be able to do it. I'd been told by my teachers that I had talent, but I was too "undisciplined" to learn the "rules" of grammar and language. I still struggle with the correct way to structure sentences and dialogue.

My husband was the one who encouraged me to write my first manuscript. I may have continued to just talk about "someday" if he hadn't encouraged me.

Now, I enjoy it so much that I can't imagine NOT doing it.;)

Reading your blog entry, and the evolving discussion, I was wondering what your own experiences with ebooks were. How have sales been, compared to 'paper books', and what attitudes have you noticed about them?

Oh this is a great question! And obviously one I've been thinking about.

When I first started to write and submit my work, I didn't know what an electronic book was. Clueless, I bought my very first ebook because the author was a Diva and the book sounded to interesting to pass up. Besides, the price was so much lower! I've never looked back. I love ebooks for their price and lack of bookcase usage. :lol:

I wasn't prepared for the reaction from my friends and family.

Because I'd been involved in online activities, I made the assumption that everyone else knew about ebooks too. (Forgetting my own ignorance in the beginning. :censored:)

Sales in electronic books are dependent on WHERE they're published. Being listed on Fictionwise is a huge boost for sales.

But starting out is tough when distribution is limited. I've said that networking is like dieting--you don't notice the results right away, but eventually it pays off.

"Heart Of The Storm" is my first print book (not including an anthology with two other authors) and I won't know how much "better" those sales are until January.

I do know that people who wouldn't buy my ebooks probably bought my print book, even thought "Heart Of The Storm" was significantly more expensive in that form.

My opinion on this is evolving.

Electronic books are going to be the "new thing", but they won't replace paper books. For one thing, ebook publishers are able to offer more offbeat subject matter-take bigger risks on new authors. Big publishers have to "play it safe" to make their money back because of the overhead and expenses.

Epublishers will discover the new brilliant authors.

I'm hoping for the day when epublishing is able to continue to offer quality to its readers.

The problem is (and I know I'm going on and on) that fly by night epublishers are giving the industry as a whole a bad reputation. But quality trumps and places like Samhain publishing, Ellora's Cave and Liquid Silver Books will continue to offer great stuff.

I know there is a bias. "I want to hold a book in my hand". True.

But there are books I often put back on the shelf because it's too pricey. New authors don't stand a chance in that environment.

But in epublishing, for less than $5, I can read a new author and not have broken my wallet. That way, if I hate it, I'm not out $10 (or even $15 for some books these days)

Whew. Apparently, I had a lot to say. :pizza:

Whew. Apparently, I had a lot to say. :lol:

:censored:

Aside from all the other issues, I would like to point out that one of my problems with ebooks is actually reading them on the screen. I already spend FAR too much looking at my computer monitor, and I'm very prone to headaches, so have to be careful.

Anyway.. I'd be interested to know what others here think of this.. whether they like ebooks because they're cheaper, reject them for whatever reason.. or anything else. :pizza:

Jen, did you feel any different when you first had a book in print?

:censored:

Aside from all the other issues, I would like to point out that one of my problems with ebooks is actually reading them on the screen. I already spend FAR too much looking at my computer monitor, and I'm very prone to headaches, so have to be careful.

:)

Jen, did you feel any different when you first had a book in print?

You sure know how to pin me down. :pizza: Yes, I'll admit I did.:lol: I took pictures of holding it in my hand. I don't feel like I've "arrived" but it certainly felt like a step forward. Sometimes, I get conflicted about epublishing. I love it and I buy a lot of ebooks, but I also see the value (not to mention love the new book smell) of print books. Let's just say I'm not turning in my paperback Ngaio Marsh books in for it's ebook equivalent. :D

And Michelle, you are not alone in that problem. I'm hoping they'll come up with better ebook readers than they have now. There are some that are portable, but the screens aren't very good yet. I think this technology will grow.

I have a question for you readers out there.

I write Erotic Romance under one name (Jennifer Leeland) and a little "sweeter" under Jennifer McKenzie.

In other words, Jennifer McKenzie is stuff my mom can read.:censored:

Jennifer Leeland? No way!!!!

I'm curious to know does it make a difference when you find out an author you love (say Nora Roberts or Stephen King) writes something "different" (Example: Nora Roberts as J.D. Robb, Amanda Quick is Jane Anne Krantz).

And does it make a difference if they write something you DON'T like?

I love Amanda Quick (historical romance) but not her contemporary romance. I love Julie Garwood historicals but not her romantic suspense.

I ADORE Elizabeth Peters but I wasn't too thrilled with Barbara Michaels.

What's your take on that?

Just about all my favourite authors have written something I didn't like as much (e.g. Pratchett - I don't like the 1st two Discworld novels). I also haven't tended to enjoy Richard Bachman books as much as I like Stephen King novels, but I don't hate them or anything like that.

I think alternate pen names can be very useful for experimentation, as I think it must be easy for writers to get pigeon-holed after a while (for example, King gets labelled a horror writer, when really he's not at all!). It doesn't put me off at all to find a writer I enjoy has an "alter ego".

Did you plan on the sequels for Heart of the Storm from the beginning.. or did they come about afterwards?

Good question.

I did, actually. Once I realized how the plot was going to turn in "Heart Of The Storm", I knew I was writing a sequel for one of the characters.

I love sequels. :D

Which of your books have you most enjoyed writing, and why?

Well, the one I enjoyed writing the most was one called "Fires Of Passion". It's a romantic fantasy that was contracted but the book is currently homeless.

I loved it because I was completely free to create whatever I wanted. Fantasy is difficult but fun to write. I enjoyed making up the rules my characters have to follow. In suspense or even science fiction, there is an element of "established rules" that characters and plot must follow. In "Fires Of Passion" those rules were out the window. I absolutely loved that.

Now, whether I'm any good at it.....:D

Hi Jen,

after a similar discussion with my son, I wondered whether you had a favourite character, if so who and why?

One of mine has always been Jo from 'Little Women' I wanted to be her when I was little!

Wow! This is so difficult! Have so many characters I love. Elizabeth Bennett (Pride and Prejudice), Agatha Troy (Ngaio Marsh books), Amelia Peabody (Elizabeth Peters books), Jessica Atrides (Dune Books by Frank Herbert).

But I think I'd have to say that my favorite character of all times is Harriet Vane featured in Dorothy L. Sayers books "Strong Poison", "Have His Carcass", "Gaudy Night" (my favorite) and "Busman's Honeymoon".

Even before I was an author, I loved how she managed to fight her way through being accused of murder, resisting Lord Peter's advances and then, falling in love with him.

She's smart, strong and her romance with Lord Peter Whimsey is brilliant.

Okay, another question for you guys.

Most of us on this forum are bibliophiles. Do you find yourself drawn to one particular genre? Or do you bounce around?

I find that people give me strange looks when I tell them I read non-fiction for fun.

What about you?

Do you find yourself drawn to one particular genre? Or do you bounce around?

I used to stick mainly to horror when I was younger, but nowadays I make a concerted effort to try different genres and authors, and generally mix things up a lot to keep them interesting. I discovered, over the last couple of years, a love of historical fiction, and this year, an adoration of some of the classics! I've also been exploring foreign authors a lot more, purposely searching them out on occasion!

I used to stick mainly to horror when I was younger, but nowadays I make a concerted effort to try different genres and authors, and generally mix things up a lot to keep them interesting. I discovered, over the last couple of years, a love of historical fiction, and this year, an adoration of some of the classics! I've also been exploring foreign authors a lot more, purposely searching them out on occasion!

I fell in love with "Shadow Of The Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Spanish writer) last year.

I bounce around so much that Amazon has a tough time recommending stuff for me.

I'm sure the computer there is completely confused. :D