Name that book!... please

I read a book when I was in high school over 10 years ago. It was about town that had to take some sort of tablets that stopped them from seeing the world in a certain way, I don’t think they could see colour etc. The school had an assembly were each kid is given their profession based on what the school thinks they would be suited to and that is the career they follow. All except from one kid are assigned their career path, he was chosen to be the apprentice/prodigy for sone wizard type man ( not an actual wizard) because he noticed things about the world that other kids didn’t there was an example about throwing a ball or something. He is then directed to stop taking his tablets so that he can start his lessons with this wizard man. He is then able to see colours etc and I think it ends with him running off into the sunset over some bridge. 

Genuinly not not sure if I dreamt this or read it so would love to know if anyone knows what book this could be