What's Up In April? - 2018

chesilbeach

June, your trip sounds amazing!

My parents are leaving for California tomorrow to visit my uncle and visit Sonoma (they do this at least once a year), so since I'm unemployed and have unlimited free time, BF and I are going to get out of our tiny apartment and take over their house for a week. Their house is big and has central A/C (which is great because we're having a little bit of summer weather up here), plus they have a nice back patio that will be perfect for getting some reading done. I'm planning on bringing over a ton of books! It's the house I grew up in, so it's sort of my happy place. :D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Talisman said:

Yes, I must admit I am looking forward to going - I am not looking to getting up early to get to the airport by 4.45am though! :( I went to Croatia last year as well and loved it too - it's a beautiful country with so much to see and experience. Montenegro is less built up and a very young country so it will be different in that respect, but from the pictures it looks absolutely idyllic and very relaxing, which is what I want this time around. I have booked a studio apartment and am staying just outside the old town of Kotor which is on the coast, an hour or so south of Dubrovnik. Like Dubrovnik Kotor is also a walled city, albeit a lot smaller. A lot of people go there on day trips from Dubrovnik but I didn't have enough time when I went, and it deserves a longer visit anyway. There are lots of small settlements dotted all around the Bay of Kotor and I hope to visit a different one each day and do at least one long walk up into the mountains as well which surround the Bay of maybe around 10 miles or so.   

Oh that sounds lovely. I want to go on holiday now! My next trip isn't until October though so I've a bit of a wait. I'd love to go back to Croatia, and Montenegro sounds very appealing based on your description too.

Thank goodness it's Friday tomorrow.  I had Monday off work, but it still feels like it's been a long week, and I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to finishing work tomorrow.  Getting the car washed in the afternoon, then I'm hoping for a quiet weekend again.  I've got a library book to finish as well as my next book group read, so here's hoping for plenty of reading time.

5 hours ago, ~Andrea~ said:

Oh that sounds lovely. I want to go on holiday now! My next trip isn't until October though so I've a bit of a wait. I'd love to go back to Croatia, and Montenegro sounds very appealing based on your description too.

I'll let you know what its like when I get back. I don't know if you are a friend of mine on Facebook but I always post heaps of pictures of all the places I travel to after I get back so feel free to send me a request if you want so that you can see them. My real name that you can search for is in my signature I believe - please say who you are and the fact that you're from here though, as I don't accept requests from anyone I don't know! 

Edited by Talisman

On 4/25/2018 at 1:40 PM, ~Andrea~ said:

I had a lovely weekend in Essex last weekend, catching up with family I hadn't see for over a decade! And we had such beautiful weather in a really lovely part of the country.

My new cat Molly is back now (she stayed with her former owner while I was away) and is causing me grief with her upset tummy. I think it's all the moving around she's done lately stressing her out. But the cleanup operations first thing aren't fun!

Your weekend sounds lovely :).

I hope Molly will feel better soon :(.

On 4/26/2018 at 3:15 AM, Echo said:

My parents are leaving for California tomorrow to visit my uncle and visit Sonoma (they do this at least once a year), so since I'm unemployed and have unlimited free time, BF and I are going to get out of our tiny apartment and take over their house for a week. Their house is big and has central A/C (which is great because we're having a little bit of summer weather up here), plus they have a nice back patio that will be perfect for getting some reading done. I'm planning on bringing over a ton of books! It's the house I grew up in, so it's sort of my happy place. :D

I hope you have a great time there :)!

It's King's Day here today. I'm not planning on going out. I expect it will be noisy this afternoon and this evening / tonight. I am wearing an orange T-shirt in honour of our King.

On 4/26/2018 at 5:24 PM, Talisman said:

I'll let you know what its like when I get back. I don't know if you are a friend of mine on Facebook but I always post heaps of pictures of all the places I travel to after I get back so feel free to send me a request if you want so that you can see them. My real name that you can search for is in my signature I believe - please say who you are and the fact that you're from here though, as I don't accept requests from anyone I don't know! 

I just sent a request! Will be lovely to see your pics! Thanks!

On 4/27/2018 at 10:03 AM, Athena said:

Your weekend sounds lovely :).

I hope Molly will feel better soon :(.

Thanks Gaia. Molly is much better thanks. Everything is ... um ... nice and solid now :D and no more accidents!

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 2:06 PM, ~Andrea~ said:

I just sent a request! Will be lovely to see your pics! Thanks!

I have accepted your request Andrea - it's always good to have new friends. 

When you have a wheat free diet as I do everything travel related has to be planned well in advance. Yesterday morning then was spent going to Sainsbury's to get food for Coran for the week ahead (she doesn't have a passport so never travels overseas with me) and gluten free bread plus a sandwich to eat on the plane. Gluten free food at airports is not the best so it's always a good idea to bring something with you. EasyJet are better than most but still seem to think that we eat nothing but sugary stodge. :( The afternoon was spent doing a mountain of laundry and this morning packing my bag - I have just about managed to squeeze it all in. It's amazing what you can squeeze into a small suitcase actually. The temperature will be about 10 degrees when we leave tomorrow morning but when I get there it will be 28 - I will be shivering in my shorts for a while but I would rather that for the time it takes me to walk inside the terminal than be sweating for the rest of the day.

Coran had a piano lesson this morning and has come home with a craving for chocolate cake so we are going out to try and find one later on after we have had our lunch. :)  

Edited by Talisman

Is it normal not to have a passport in the UK? As far as I know, in my own country (the Netherlands), you are required by law to be able to identify yourself, be that with either a passport or an ID-card. In some situations a driver's license can suffice (or some other types of document), but not all (to my knowledge!). I'm not sure how it works in the UK though (or in other countries for that matter, I've heard in the US many people don't have a passport?).

It must be difficult having to eat gluten free when you're going overseas and have to take care of your meals through restaurants and shops and food you aren't necessarily familiar with (or in a different language!).

I wish you a great holiday :)! I hope you have a lovely time and great weather :).

Thanks Gaia - from the sound of it I will! I admit it can be a pain trying to find food that is safe for me to eat, but it is a lot better than it used to be. Italian is usually safe as you can get risottos and salads, plus I love seafood which is naturally gluten free provided it isn't covered in batter. :( I have done some research online and found a supermarket a few minutes from where I am staying that does gluten free, but it is the Schar range (which you tend to get everywhere on the continent) whose breads need to be heated in the oven before you can use them, which isn't really ideal. That's why I prefer to take some with me - same with cereal, as all they are likely to have are cornflakes which are a bit bland and sugary. 

With regard to passports though a lot of older people here don't have them. The reason Coran doesn't have one is mainly because she just never wanted to travel - unlike me who loves it! It is more complicated for trans people, plus if you are not going to use it they are expensive. There are other forms of ID that you can use such as like you say a drivers license or some other type of ID card like a student card for example or even a bus pass, as long as it has your photo on it.     

You don't have to have a passport in the UK, they're pretty expensive now (although they do last for 10 years for an adult) and a pain to renew!  We don't have ID cards so I'm not sure what someone who doesn't drive or  travel abroad would do for identification!

Yep it's turned so cold here, I'm back in 2 jumpers today.

In ireland you can now use this public services card they've brought in as ID instead of a passport, but apparently the cards are very contentious as they contain so much information about the card-holder!

No news here really. Started the new job, it's quiet so far and I'm a little on edge as what the role will specifically entail is a little up in the air right now. Penny is doing well, aside from the fact that my partner lets her sleep in the bed without her cone on at night and she's picked the scab off her side so now it's red and sore looking. :roll: But she's most of the way healed, 5 weeks and 3000 euro later!

• Athena unpinned this topic