What's Up In April? - 2018

chesilbeach

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day out down in Bridport today, and came home with a fantastic haul of old Ladybird books for my OH's nephew, some second-hand Michael Morpurgo books in excellent condition for my book buddy school, and a couple of book gifts for friends.  Stopped for a read and a coffee and had a delicious slice of rhubarb crumble cake, and then later had a sneaky gelato - while mint choc chip and it was divine!  Back home now, and just catching up on the forum.

I put my shorts on for the first time this afternoon - Coran went to see a friend so I went out for my own coffee to one of the local garden centres. It really was gorgeous out there and really warm. After I got home I sat out on the doorstep reading for a couple of hours. Tomorrow it's supposed to be chucking down with rain, but temperatures are meant to be as high as 24 or even 25 degrees towards the end the week. I do hope so! When I read that earlier in the week I told all the guys at work I would have to shave my legs which made them all chuckle. :P

On 4/12/2018 at 9:18 PM, Echo said:

I got an update on the new job, and it looks like nothing will be finalized until next week, which is kind of a bummer. BF and I have been shopping like crazy, with me buying new clothes and shoes, and him buying new clothes, electronics (computer accessories and a used PS3), and beer. We have so many online orders shipping to us...two from Amazon, two from Old Navy, and one from Nordstrom. It's going to be a pain tracking all those packages! We live in a secure apartment building, so packages don't always make their way to us. :roll:

Good luck with the job! I hope all the packages will arrive at your house safely :).

On 4/13/2018 at 6:29 PM, Talisman said:

Our new CEO who started a month or so ago has been ruffling a few feathers as she is very business like and straight talking - which I personally like. It is definitely what we need, as there are a lot of people where I work who are stuck in their ways and need a hefty kick up the backside. One of the things she wants to address is the lack of recycling (something I actually suggested to her) and to this end I have been charged with sourcing some proper recycling bins for all the offices. I made a few calls today and think I have managed to find what we need so all I have to do now is get it approved and then order them - I have such an exciting life!

That's so nice about the recycling :).

17 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

Day out down in Bridport today, and came home with a fantastic haul of old Ladybird books for my OH's nephew, some second-hand Michael Morpurgo books in excellent condition for my book buddy school, and a couple of book gifts for friends.  Stopped for a read and a coffee and had a delicious slice of rhubarb crumble cake, and then later had a sneaky gelato - while mint choc chip and it was divine!  Back home now, and just catching up on the forum.

It sounds like you had a lovely day out :).

12 hours ago, Talisman said:

I put my shorts on for the first time this afternoon - Coran went to see a friend so I went out for my own coffee to one of the local garden centres. It really was gorgeous out there and really warm. After I got home I sat out on the doorstep reading for a couple of hours. Tomorrow it's supposed to be chucking down with rain, but temperatures are meant to be as high as 24 or even 25 degrees towards the end the week. I do hope so! When I read that earlier in the week I told all the guys at work I would have to shave my legs which made them all chuckle. :P

I hope you have some lovely weather :). It's nice you read outside for a while.

We're having nice weather here, it's been lovely. I saw my brother and his girlfriend, and I spoke with my sister on the phone, They're doing well :).

Yesterday was lovely - not quite shorts weather as the wind was a bit chilly!  Today has been  mixed - started off foggy, but cleared up for our wetland walk and we had some hazy sunshine.  It tried to rain a bit in the way home but held off - but now it's pouring.  But yes typically it's meant to be in the 20s mid week, when most of us will be stuck at work!

I am lucky in that we have really beautiful gardens where I work and because of the nature of my job and the site which is quite spread out, I get to spend a lot of time walking around to the different departments outdoors. I have to walk across the garden every time someone asks me for something (which is multiple times each day) as our housekeeping storage shed is also located in the garden. It's not so good in the winter of course or when it's raining, but when the warmer weather comes it means I can enjoy it even when I am at work. I expect we will be sitting outside for lunch as well by the middle of the week. :)

That sounds lovely, you must be quite fit! 

I'm fed up here, they're refurbishing the loos (fair enough) but the ones which have remained open until now have been discovered to have lots of, er, disposal problems so they've all been taken out of service now, apart from 3 disabled loos - this is in a fully occupied, 6 storey building with constant visitors, plus of course both men and women will be using very limited facilities.....wonder how long they'll last out for?:(

A beautiful sunny day here in Lincolnshire, let's see if we can have two in a row!

I received a book today to review and dear lord it's just not my type of thing at all. But this can be a good thing, no? "Perhaps I'll like it and seek out more of the same", I thought as I settled down with coffee and the dog. So far...no., really, no. But I shall read it to the very last word; there will surely be some moments of joy within!

3 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I'm fed up here, they're refurbishing the loos (fair enough) but the ones which have remained open until now have been discovered to have lots of, er, disposal problems so they've all been taken out of service now, apart from 3 disabled loos - this is in a fully occupied, 6 storey building with constant visitors, plus of course both men and women will be using very limited facilities.....wonder how long they'll last out for?:(

I walk an average of 3-4 miles each day at work, sometimes more than that if one of us is on holiday or we otherwise have extra work on. It saves me a fortune in not having to go to a gym and outdoor exercise is more fun anyway. :)

That's not a lot of loos for a building that size. I am glad I'm not cleaner there as they would never be able to get in there to clean them in the first place - and by the sound of it they would need it! We have 8 toilets in the building I am based in (4 on each of the 2 floors) for maybe 40 staff and 100 or so clients each day, plus visitors - drivers for the clients (it's a centre for disabled adults), contractors and so on and even that's not always enough. 

23 hours ago, Talisman said:

I am lucky in that we have really beautiful gardens where I work and because of the nature of my job and the site which is quite spread out, I get to spend a lot of time walking around to the different departments outdoors. I have to walk across the garden every time someone asks me for something (which is multiple times each day) as our housekeeping storage shed is also located in the garden. It's not so good in the winter of course or when it's raining, but when the warmer weather comes it means I can enjoy it even when I am at work. I expect we will be sitting outside for lunch as well by the middle of the week. :)

The gardens sound really lovely :).

3 hours ago, Madeleine said:

That's nowhere near enough toilets for all the people who need them :(. I hope you will all be okay :(.

27 minutes ago, RebeccaM said:

A beautiful sunny day here in Lincolnshire, let's see if we can have two in a row!

I received a book today to review and dear lord it's just not my type of thing at all. But this can be a good thing, no? "Perhaps I'll like it and seek out more of the same", I thought as I settled down with coffee and the dog. So far...no., really, no. But I shall read it to the very last word; there will surely be some moments of joy within!

Welcome to the forum :). I hope the book isn't too unenjoyable, and otherwise I hope your next read will be a better one :).

The past couple of days have been busy (for me), so today I tried to rest a bit. I also spent a while reading.

On 4/16/2018 at 2:17 PM, Madeleine said:

Yikes, that sounds unpleasant. In my (also 6 storey building) we have two sets of loos, one pair on the 3rd floor and one pair in the basement. So when one of either pair is being serviced in any way, you have to trek either up or down the building to get to the other ones! My building has 2 floors of offices with about 50 people (my dept), plus 3 floors of university departments, offices, science and computer labs and lecture rooms (so lecturers, students, and admin staff), and the basement isn't used much anymore. Lot of people

All good news over here, had my interview (nyargh) and got the job. Mixed feelings - it's a job I will like a lot less than my current one (I've done it before so I know), but it should make me a proper staff member and lead to permanence, as well as the capacity to move roles around the university. It's also just shy of 30k a year, which I'm very happy about as that's a good amount to start saving for a house.

Penny is also doing well, skin graft looks good and all going well she might be able to come home Friday.

Noll, that's such good news about Penny! And congrats on the new job! :clapping:

It's a lovely day here today, but I have a wicked headache, and BF and I have been out and about the last two days, so we're just feeling tired today. But we have the window open and we're enjoying the spring air!

On 4/18/2018 at 4:17 PM, Nollaig said:

All good news over here, had my interview (nyargh) and got the job. Mixed feelings - it's a job I will like a lot less than my current one (I've done it before so I know), but it should make me a proper staff member and lead to permanence, as well as the capacity to move roles around the university. It's also just shy of 30k a year, which I'm very happy about as that's a good amount to start saving for a house.

Penny is also doing well, skin graft looks good and all going well she might be able to come home Friday.

Good news on Penny and the job :)!!

On 4/19/2018 at 2:56 AM, Echo said:

It's a lovely day here today, but I have a wicked headache, and BF and I have been out and about the last two days, so we're just feeling tired today. But we have the window open and we're enjoying the spring air!

I hope your head feels better soon :(.

My boyfriend and I went for a (longer) walk yesterday and went to the pharmacy and into a couple of shops.

Taking a long weekend, and decided to start off with brunch at the café, then a trip to the cinema, followed by lunch in the park to make the most of the sunshine.  Shared a table with a stranger, and as she was reading a book, decided to overcome my perennial shyness and asked her if the book was good.  We ended up having a half hour chat about books, and she's going to try Ali Smith and I'm on the lookout for Annie Proulx! :smile2: 

I love it when things like that happen. We are sitting at home waiting for a new tumble dryer to arrive. Our cooker packed up last night as well so we have to order one of them too, which is coming on Monday. 

On 4/20/2018 at 7:01 PM, chesilbeach said:

Taking a long weekend, and decided to start off with brunch at the café, then a trip to the cinema, followed by lunch in the park to make the most of the sunshine.  Shared a table with a stranger, and as she was reading a book, decided to overcome my perennial shyness and asked her if the book was good.  We ended up having a half hour chat about books, and she's going to try Ali Smith and I'm on the lookout for Annie Proulx! :smile2: 

That sounds like such a nice encounter for you both :).

On 4/21/2018 at 4:50 PM, Talisman said:

We are sitting at home waiting for a new tumble dryer to arrive. Our cooker packed up last night as well so we have to order one of them too, which is coming on Monday. 

Good luck, I hope the tumble dryer and the cooker will arrive safely and work well. We recently got a new microwave-oven, because our old one broke.

Yesterday Michael and I spent some time with my parents and we had dinner with the four of us.

I fell down the basement stairs a couple of days ago (gladly it's not that many steps), but after a few days of feeling bruised and being sore, I feel fine now :). I'm glad it wasn't worse, it hurt a lot after it had just happened, and I know I could have been injured much worse.

At the weekend I finished that book and I really didn't like it but had been asked to review it so I will. But oh dear, I hadn't realised how difficult it is to write a good review of a bad book! I think I've now had so much caffine that my judgement is impaired :)

Glad to know you are okay Gaia - like you say it could have been a lot worse.

The new tumble dryer is brilliant and the oven arrived this morning, so we will try that for the first time tonight. Other than that Coran and I had a good weekend with lots of reading and sunshine. Next week I will have even more as one week today I fly to Kotor in Montenegro for a week. It looks gorgeous and the weather forecast is just perfect for me - sunshine and 22-24 degrees. I have booked a studio apartment with a sofa bed and my hosts have very kindly agreed to pick me up at the airport which is very nice of them I thought. This time next week then I will no doubt be sitting in the sun somewhere scenic. :)

On 4/23/2018 at 11:14 AM, Madeleine said:

Glad you're OK Athena, bruising always hurts more for a while but glad it wasn't any worse. 

Thanks Madeleine :).

20 hours ago, Talisman said:

Glad to know you are okay Gaia - like you say it could have been a lot worse.

The new tumble dryer is brilliant and the oven arrived this morning, so we will try that for the first time tonight. Other than that Coran and I had a good weekend with lots of reading and sunshine. Next week I will have even more as one week today I fly to Kotor in Montenegro for a week. It looks gorgeous and the weather forecast is just perfect for me - sunshine and 22-24 degrees. I have booked a studio apartment with a sofa bed and my hosts have very kindly agreed to pick me up at the airport which is very nice of them I thought. This time next week then I will no doubt be sitting in the sun somewhere scenic. :)

Thanks June :).

I'm glad you got the new tumble dryer and oven. I wish you a wonderful and sunny holiday next week :)!

4 hours ago, Athena said:

Thanks June :).

I'm glad you got the new tumble dryer and oven. I wish you a wonderful and sunny holiday next week :)!

The weather is looking good. The forecast is for 26 degrees and sunny when I get there going down to about 20 degrees with rain on the day I leave, which is about right. I always seem to choose the right weeks. :) I am looking forward to going though. I looks just gorgeous and isn't expensive. That will soon change though. :angry: At the moment Montenegro is still relatively undiscovered but it won't be for much longer as all the travel sites are saying that it is one of THE places to go in the next few years. 

Montenegro will be lovely June. I did Croatia a few years back and loved it! The temperature sounds perfect too! Not too hot.

Great news about the job and Penny Noll. So sorry to hear about her accident. I've only just caught up with everything.

I had a lovely weekend in Essex last weekend, catching up with family I hadn't see for over a decade! And we had such beautiful weather in a really lovely part of the country.

My new cat Molly is back now (she stayed with her former owner while I was away) and is causing me grief with her upset tummy. I think it's all the moving around she's done lately stressing her out. But the cleanup operations first thing aren't fun!

4 hours ago, ~Andrea~ said:

Montenegro will be lovely June. I did Croatia a few years back and loved it! The temperature sounds perfect too! Not too hot.

Yes, I must admit I am looking forward to going - I am not looking to getting up early to get to the airport by 4.45am though! :( I went to Croatia last year as well and loved it too - it's a beautiful country with so much to see and experience. Montenegro is less built up and a very young country so it will be different in that respect, but from the pictures it looks absolutely idyllic and very relaxing, which is what I want this time around. I have booked a studio apartment and am staying just outside the old town of Kotor which is on the coast, an hour or so south of Dubrovnik. Like Dubrovnik Kotor is also a walled city, albeit a lot smaller. A lot of people go there on day trips from Dubrovnik but I didn't have enough time when I went, and it deserves a longer visit anyway. There are lots of small settlements dotted all around the Bay of Kotor and I hope to visit a different one each day and do at least one long walk up into the mountains as well which surround the Bay of maybe around 10 miles or so.