something to lift your spirits

Hi! I've been feeling a little down recently and I'm looking for some books to lift my spirits. Any recommendations. I would prefer some British authors but it's not that important. Any topic would do - just something optimistic and/or funny, etc. Thank you for your help.

Hi Matt,

It would help if you could let us know your preferred style of humour: dark, surreal, dry, punny, silly, etc.  We'll be able to give you better recommendations that way.

Here are a few to start with anyway:

Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall (War Memoirs #1) by Spike Milligan.  Surreal and silly, laugh-out-loud funny.

Augustus Carp Esq. by Henry H. Bashford.  Dry, silly, and tongue-in-cheek.

Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh.  Drawn in a crude comic style, but very funny and relatable.  (A couple of excellent chapters on depression, btw.)

1 hour ago, Onion Budgie said:

It would help if you could let us know your preferred style of humour: dark, surreal, dry, punny, silly, etc.  We'll be able to give you better recommendations that way.

Anything that wouldn't be too difficult to grasp by a non-native speaker. I've read Adolf Hitler and found it quite entertaining, on the other hand, I had some problems with P.G.  Wodehouse;s books. Perhaps you need to be an English person to enjoy his books and understand his sense of humor. I'll try Carp and Brosh. Thanks for your help.

How about H.E. Bates' Larkins family series - a light-hearted look at rural English life in by-gone days. The Darling Buds of May, Oh To Be in England, When The Green Woods Laugh, A Breath of French Air and A Little of What You Fancy. Uplifting and fun.

Or maybe try the Mapp & Lucia books by E.F. Benson? Again maybe old-fashioned, but a comedic look at the world, away from the modern pressures of life today.

Good luck.

Once again thank you all for your recommendations. On Wednesday I'm going to my local library which has a large collection of English books and I hope they will have some of the books you mentioned. If not, I'll try to buy some e-books on Amazon.