Your Book Activity - March 2018

Athena

Finished a few books this week:

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

The Ashes of London by Andrew Taylor

Thornhill by Pam Smy

The Day She Saved The Doctor by Jacqueline Rayner, Jenny T. Colgan, Susan Calman and Dorothy Koomson

Not a duffer among them! :D 

On 10.3.2018 at 9:38 PM, bobblybear said:

I'm now reading A Fraction of The Whole by Steve Toltz which is very good so far! 

Oooh, I'm glad to hear that! I've got the book on my TBR pile! :smile2:

I'm still plowing through Helter Skelter which is taking me a long time but I'm enjoying it!

Read The Curse in the Candlelight by Sophie Cleverly this afternoon.  Also started Make More Noise last night which is an anthology of short stories by MG and YA female authors celebrating inspirational girls and women.

Went to the bookshop to see if they had an early copy of a book I'm waiting to be published in a few weeks, but they didn't have it in yet.  Somehow, I came home with two other books though - Hero at the Fall by Alwyn Hamilton and The Light Jar by Lisa Thompson - not quite sure how that happened? :dunno: 

Just failed to finish Helena Kelly's Jane Austen, The Secret Radical.  Got to just over 200 pages of the 300-odd with some effort, and had just had enough.  Seems to think that she's discovered all these political subtexts, when most of them are well known.  Elsewhere, it's like a conspiracy theory, making some pretty tenuous connections to prove her thesis, ignoring contradictory evidence, and missing out on where Austen was really innovative, in her writing. Very disappointing.

Haven't been around much over the last couple of weeks, but I have been reading plenty!  This week, I've finished:

Make More Noise an anthology of middle grade stories

A Long Way From Verona by Jane Gardam

Brightstorm by Vashti Hardy

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

The Light Jar by Lisa Thompson

Just finished The Promised Neverland #1 by Kaiu Shirai (author) and Posuka Demizu (illustrator). The story is excellent, and the manga illustrations are just beautiful. The Promised Neverland #2 to read next!

Hey, guys. I'm new to this site. I see really great stories out here.

So far I've read 3 books: Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday; The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey; Social Psychology By Elliot Aronson.

Currently, I'm reading Think Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. My goal for this year is to read 50 books. So far I've read 9 (I think).

Regards,

Been listening to the audiobook Godfrey's Ghost: From Father to Son a biography by Nicholas Ridley, the son of Arnold Ridley, who played Private Charles Godfrey in Dad's Army. He was also a playwright and actor.  Nicholas was very fond of his father and he comes across as a lovable person.

I did that rare thing (for me) last weekend of finishing two books on the same day - The Daily Struggles of Archie Adams (hilarious) and Song of Susannah. Then I started two more books on the same day. The Dark Tower by Stephen King and Little Women- the first round robin challenge that I've got around to. 

I have read two books this month. I re-read 'The Magic Mountain' by Thomas Mann (last read it about ten years ago). Superb. Also read Morton Bain's 'Prisoners Go Free' - novel by a diagnosed psychopath ( Psychopath! published in 2012). Going to read a P.G.Wodehouse next, but can't decide which one.

The Introvert was pretty good; rather dark and odd.  Although I would say that the protagonist was less of an introvert and more of a semi-controlled psychopath!

I'm now looking forward to starting The Disappearance Boy by Neil Bartlett.  It's set in 1950s England, and follows the life of an illusionist's assistant.

I've hardly read at all this month. I gave up on No One Gets Out Alive by Adam Nevill. I'm re-reading Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer after watching the film, and I'm also slowly getting through Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh.