Your Book Activity - March 2018

Athena

It's March :o!

What's your bookish activity today?

Today I plan on starting read-a-thon-ing so I got lots of reads liked up for the coming days. I haven't decided yet which one to start with, though.

All I am going to do this month is continue enjoying the books I’m reading. I have had a brilliant reading year so far. I am still behind on my challenge but the books I have read most of been great. 

I am hoping to finally get to The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall but at the moment still on the book I am currently reading. 

Hope everybody has a great reading month :) 

Finished The Last Wilderness by Neil Ansell this afternoon.  Fantastic read and think it's a strong contender for the Wainwright Prize longlist this year.  I've currently got two Kindle books on the go - The Ashes of London and Phantom Quartz and have started a paperback - This Mortal Coil by Emily Suvada which is one of the older fiction nominated books on the Waterstones Children's Book Prize for this year.

I started reading The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin, which is great so far. I recently read Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, which was amazing, and Beloved by Toni Morrison. I've also been on a Kindle downloading kick, and just got Nothing Without Laughter by Langston Hughes today. March is looking really good, book-wise!

Had a browse of the Kindle monthly deals and bought The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (on my Round Robin challenge list), Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer and Brenda and Effie Forever! by Paul Magrs.

Today, I finished Phantom Quartz by Barbra Annino, and read another chapter of The Ashes of London by Andrew Taylor, and I'm about to sit down with This Mortal Coil by Emily Suvada which I'm enjoying immensely. :D 

I'm towards the end of The Alienist by Caleb Carr. It is really dragging on now. Apparently I have 40 minutes left to read it.....it's going to be a long 40 minutes. :lol:Hopefully I will be finished tonight. 

Finished This Mortal Coil by Emily Suvada and thought it was very good, and well above the average YA science fiction future world style of book.

Have started a new hardback - A Wood of One's Own by Ruth Pavey and also a paperback - Ink by Alice Broadway.

I finished After the Funeral.  It was an entertaining read, and it satisfied my Poirot cravings! 

Keeping with Agatha Christie, I've just started Endless Night, which isn't a Poirot, but more of a suspense novel from what I can gather.  I'm only a few pages in.  Booktube's Paperback Junky reviewed it and said that the ending blew his mind, so I'm looking forward to seeing what transpires.

I'm still reading Song for Susannah on Kindle at lunchtime (about halfway through) and halfway through Fool's Quest, the third in the Fitz and the Fool trilogy by Robin Hobb. I still have my Mar 16th deadline to give the books back so I'd better get a move on. ;) 

Once I've finished that, I can then get a move on with the Round Robin challenge (which at this rate will take me 2 years to complete.:lol: )

Edited by More reading time required

I'm a quarter of the way through Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell. I'm enjoying it so I have downloaded a copy from Audible so that I can whispersync them! 

I'm currently having some highlights so have been listening here to stop anyone from talking to me as they invariably do when I'm reading!! :giggle2: (My hairdresser and her colleague are both lovely, I hasten to add, but I really want to devote time to the book!!). 

2 hours ago, More reading time required said:

I'm still reading Song for Susannah on Kindle at lunchtime (about halfway through) and halfway through Fool's Quest, the third in the Fitz and the Fool trilogy by Robin Hobb. I still have my Mar 16th deadline to give the books back so I'd better get a move on. ;) 

Once I've finished that, I can then get a move on with the Round Robin challenge (which at this rate will take me 2 years to complete.:lol: )

Fool`s Assassin is this month`s freebie with a Times subscription. :D

I`ve seen my Round Robin books from a distance, and still need to locate another couple of them. :blush:

17 hours ago, Janet said:

I'm a quarter of the way through Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell. I'm enjoying it so I have downloaded a copy from Audible so that I can whispersync them! 

I'm currently having some highlights so have been listening here to stop anyone from talking to me as they invariably do when I'm reading!! :giggle2: (My hairdresser and her colleague are both lovely, I hasten to add, but I really want to devote time to the book!!). 

This is brilliant, and an idea I am definitely stealing when I next go for highlights :D 

3 hours ago, Alexi said:

This is brilliant, and an idea I am definitely stealing when I next go for highlights :D 

IKR!!   :D I can't believe I hadn't thought of it before!  I love my hairdresser, but she does like to talk! 

12 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

Won't the ear things get in the way  though?!

Obviously it's impractical when she's putting the foils on, but once they're on and the colour is working its magic I was able to put the buds in no problem.  :)

I'm past the halfway mark with Endless Night, and wow, this is unlike any Agatha Christie that I've read before.  For one thing, the characterisation of the two main protagonists is extremely well done -- which, dare I say it, is something that can't be said for the majority of Christie's characters across her other works, which to me tend to be reminiscent of cut-out cardboard, and so leaving it up to the plots themselves to shine -- which they most often do.  That's why AC is one of my favourite crime/mystery authors -- her plotting and twisting!  But anyway, Endless Night is a gripping read, with interesting characters, and I can't wait to see what happens...

Edited by Onion Budgie

I've finished three books this week - Ink by Alice Broadway, The Disappearances by Emily Bain Murphy and Max and the Millions by Ross Montgomery.

I'm still reading A Wood of One's Own by Ruth Pavey and The Ashes of London by Andrew Taylor.  I've got two books left to read from the older fiction category of the Waterstones Children's Book Prize, so I'll probably concentrate on those next, and then get back to my other books which have been a bit neglected over the last few weeks! :D 

Sunjeev Sahota, The year of the Runaways.

A great and intriguing start to the book, as Randeep visits a Sikh lady in Sheffield. Why? Neatly written, it tells the story of three Indian men in Sheffield.

It contains too many Indian words without a glossary and the book is rushed towards the end, he appears to get bored, so the final quarter of the book is pointless violence between various men. Two out of five.

On 11/03/2018 at 1:53 PM, Onion Budgie said:

I'm past the halfway mark with Endless Night, and wow, this is unlike any Agatha Christie that I've read before.  For one thing, the characterisation of the two main protagonists is extremely well done -- which, dare I say it, is something that can't be said for the majority of Christie's characters across her other works, which to me tend to be reminiscent of cut-out cardboard, and so leaving it up to the plots themselves to shine -- which they most often do.  That's why AC is one of my favourite crime/mystery authors -- her plotting and twisting!  But anyway, Endless Night is a gripping read, with interesting characters, and I can't wait to see what happens...

Yes, Endless Night is very different to  all other Agatha Christie's. I can't remember what it's about (as it's been probably 20 odd years since I read it) but I know I really liked it at the time. :)

Contrary to what I said it was called the other day, I finished Assassin's Fate last night, which was fab. I had a bit of a reading blitz towards the end of it, both cos I was really enjoying it and so I didn't have a last minute rush to finish it before Friday (when I'm giving it back).

I have picked out Little Women to start but before that, I'm just sneaking it what will be a very quick read I think - The Daily Struggles of Archie Adams aged 2 1/4 by Katie Kirby (Hurrah for Gin).

Edited by More reading time required

15 hours ago, More reading time required said:

Yes, Endless Night is very different to  all other Agatha Christie's. I can't remember what it's about (as it's been probably 20 odd years since I read it) but I know I really liked it at the time. :)

It's about a young man who yearns for a beautiful house and a wonderful wife, and he gets both -- but at a price.  There's a gipsy's curse on their land!

I finished it last night.  It was great.  On to another AC now:  The Mystery of the Blue Train.  This will be my last Christie for a while, so let's hope it's a goodun'.