What's Up in March? - 2018

Athena

Wow, it's March already! What are you up to today / this month?

Here it is really cold, so I plan to mostly stay inside, aside from those times when I have to go outside to take care of our animals.

My brother and his girlfriend came by two days ago and we had a nice talk. Yesterday my boyfriend and I invited my mum to have dinner with us, it was nice to spend some time with her. I'm looking forward to the weekend, it'll be nice to spend some time with my family. I'm also participating in the read-a-thon this weekend (starting today, for me), so I'm planning to do a lot of reading.

13 hours ago, Brian. said:

My car broke down this morning on the way home from work after a nightshift. Fortunately I get free recovery with my services at the main dealer so I got home eventually even if it did take hours. Had so little sleep I have taken the night off work so I get an extra night on the sofa.

I'm glad you get free recovery. I hope your car will be fixed soon and that you are able to get some sleep.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a nightmare yesterday when our boiler broke down, so we've had no hot water or heating for 24 hours.  Luckily we've got a woodburner, so we had some heat last night but only in the one room. We've got a service and breakdown plan to cover the boiler, but because of the adverse weather they're busy at the moment and the earliest appointment we could get for an engineer was next Friday!  That was only because we booked it online as well, as they closed their telephone emergency lines because they were "too busy" - not sure how they can get away with it since we pay for them to provide the service - that's the whole point of buying the service and breakdown plan. :irked:  It's -3ºC with four to six inches of snow outside, and we desperately needed it fixed, so we are lucky that fortunately we managed to get a local plumber who we've used for other work to come out this afternoon, and we're back up and running now.

Got sent home from work yesterday morning because of the oncoming storm, and got home just as the snow was starting to come down heavily and settle on the roads so have been working from home, but finished now for the weekend which will involve snuggling up cosily in the armchair and reading a book!  I did venture out for a walk earlier to get my circulation going and get a bit of fresh air, and the local coffee shop was open so had a hot chocolate to warm up, but it sounded like their supplies might run out soon as they hadn't had a delivery today, so they'll probably have to close early.  

I know people joke that it's only a couple of inches of snow and it's laughable that we can't cope with it, but it probably only happens about once every five years or thereabouts in the part of England I live in, so there's no point investing in things like snow ploughs, as they would just sit unused for most of the time.  On the whole, I think we're lucky and we survive quite well, but we do like a bit of a grumble at times too. :D 

It's so stressful, isn't it? We had no water yesterday due to frozen pipe up in the loft. Took us ages to sort it out, and we had the same.. Glen was trying to get through to our service, and was getting no answer.  I hope the plumber wasn't too expensive!

1 hour ago, chesilbeach said:

Had a nightmare yesterday when our boiler broke down, so we've had no hot water or heating for 24 hours.  Luckily we've got a woodburner, so we had some heat last night but only in the one room. We've got a service and breakdown plan to cover the boiler, but because of the adverse weather they're busy at the moment and the earliest appointment we could get for an engineer was next Friday!  That was only because we booked it online as well, as they closed their telephone emergency lines because they were "too busy" - not sure how they can get away with it since we pay for them to provide the service - that's the whole point of buying the service and breakdown plan. :irked:  It's -3ºC with four to six inches of snow outside, and we desperately needed it fixed, so we are lucky that fortunately we managed to get a local plumber who we've used for other work to come out this afternoon, and we're back up and running now.

Sorry to hear about the boiler situation! My partner said he had three emergency call outs by lunchtime today. Not sure how many he had altogether.

It’s good you were able to get somebody out. 

In this time they need to be more vigilant! 

I am glad you got it sorted out :) Keep warm!

I am glad to be finished with work today, and start the weekend. 

I am in Spain at the moment. I have been here since last Saturday and have spent four nights in Granada, two in Cordoba and now I am in Seville, where I will stay for the next four nights. I have loved it so far. Granada is just beautiful and the Alhambra amazing. Cordoba too was brilliant - the Mezquita is the main reason for going, although there are plenty of other things to see as well. I only arrived in Seville this morning, so haven´t seen much of that as yet, but that will change. 

Boiler problems at this end too!  :angry:  I have a combi.  Yesterday, the expansion vessel ran out of puff (as it seems to do quite frequently), and so I had no central heating on one of the coldest nights in living memory!  (Exaggerating, but UGH.)  The engineer came out this afternoon and charged up the vessel again, but seriously, these combi boilers can be a pain in the neck and a worry for little things going wrong with them.  Commiserations to everyone else with similar problems right now.  It's at times like these that I wish I lived in a hot country!

I've been away from the forum for so long, but decided today to check in! I've been so tired lately...I started a new job in November, which requires that I get up at 7:00 AM every day (my previous job was more flexible). Almost every day after I get home I fall asleep for about 3 hours...not good! Going to try to not do that today! At this moment, I'm covering the front desk of our office as our receptionist is out today, looking out the window at the tall buildings outside and wondering what the people at work inside them are doing and thinking. I have 3 more hours until I catch the bus home....tick tock!

Got my car back from the garage yesterday and it was as I suspected. The fuel filter was dirty and in normal temperatures its not an issue but in the cold weather makes diesel thicker and this caused the filter to block. A replacement filter wasn't too expensive and I read this morning that there have been a lot of call outs for the same reason on a variety of makes of diesel in the last few days.

16 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

I'm so sorry to hear you had boiler issues :(. And with this weather too! I'm glad it is fixed now.

16 hours ago, Michelle said:

It's so stressful, isn't it? We had no water yesterday due to frozen pipe up in the loft. Took us ages to sort it out, and we had the same.. Glen was trying to get through to our service, and was getting no answer.  I hope the plumber wasn't too expensive!

I'm so sorry you had water issues :(. Water is so important!

14 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

I am glad to be finished with work today, and start the weekend. 

I wish you a good weekend :)!

13 hours ago, Talisman said:

I am in Spain at the moment. I have been here since last Saturday and have spent four nights in Granada, two in Cordoba and now I am in Seville, where I will stay for the next four nights. I have loved it so far. Granada is just beautiful and the Alhambra amazing. Cordoba too was brilliant - the Mezquita is the main reason for going, although there are plenty of other things to see as well. I only arrived in Seville this morning, so haven´t seen much of that as yet, but that will change. 

Have fun in Spain :)!

11 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

Boiler problems at this end too!  :angry:  I have a combi.  Yesterday, the expansion vessel ran out of puff (as it seems to do quite frequently), and so I had no central heating on one of the coldest nights in living memory!  (Exaggerating, but UGH.)  The engineer came out this afternoon and charged up the vessel again, but seriously, these combi boilers can be a pain in the neck and a worry for little things going wrong with them.  Commiserations to everyone else with similar problems right now.  It's at times like these that I wish I lived in a hot country!

I'm so sorry to hear you had boiler problems :(!

10 hours ago, Echo said:

I've been away from the forum for so long, but decided today to check in! I've been so tired lately...I started a new job in November, which requires that I get up at 7:00 AM every day (my previous job was more flexible). Almost every day after I get home I fall asleep for about 3 hours...not good! Going to try to not do that today! At this moment, I'm covering the front desk of our office as our receptionist is out today, looking out the window at the tall buildings outside and wondering what the people at work inside them are doing and thinking. I have 3 more hours until I catch the bus home....tick tock!

Hi Echo! I wish you a nice weekend :).

14 minutes ago, Brian. said:

Got my car back from the garage yesterday and it was as I suspected. The fuel filter was dirty and in normal temperatures its not an issue but in the cold weather makes diesel thicker and this caused the filter to block. A replacement filter wasn't too expensive and I read this morning that there have been a lot of call outs for the same reason on a variety of makes of diesel in the last few days.

I'm glad it wasn't too expensive to get a replacement filter :). Glad you've got your car back!

Thanks, Athena!

I'm SO glad it's Saturday. BF and I are taking the day slowly, running a few errands, and now, waiting for our pizza/gyro dinner to come. :exc:

Only been able to get out and about on foot for the last couple of days, so it's been a quiet weekend at home, which actually makes a change!  Went out for a walk on both days, just to get some fresh air, but other than that, it's been reading and a bit of baking for me.  We stayed in and watched a film last night.  I don't intend to get out much today either other than a quick trip to the shops - but I do hope they've have had some deliveries now as I've almost run out of milk, and I can't go the whole day without tea or coffee! :D It's been really strange walking around the shop and seeing very little fruit, veg and dairy on the shelves.  Fortunately, they must have had enough stores to keep the bakery going, but there were plenty of sections with very little left.

So, bit of a stressful time here. My Dad had a nasty fall on the ice, and broke two ribs, plus he partially dislocated his hip. The Paramedics were absolutely brilliant ; they got here quickly, even though the operator said it might be a wait, `cos they had lots of ( mainly car, I think ) accidents at the time. Dad insisted on coming back home from the hospital the same day and is getting about with a zimmer frame, very slowly. The ribs are stupidly painful. :( Neighbours have been great, phoning, emailing and coming over ( one of them fixed our kitchen light for us ; the starter motor had died, but we had spares - but I have balance problems and can`t get up on a chair to fix it ). The pharmacy dropped off Dad`s medication too, which was so helpful. 

Apparently ribs take ages to heal. gah. :(

Hope everyone is okay. Boo at all the boiler trouble.

Sorry to hear about your dad :( that sounds nasty! I hope he makes a full recovery very soon. Good to hear of all the help.

I have two more weeks at work and then a trip to Whitby for a week over Easter. I cannot wait! I’ll be going with my boyfriend and his family; which will be his mum, sister, her husband and their two boys. 

Hope everybody has had a good weekend. I’ll be thankful for the weather turning slightly warmer now. 

Edited by Lau_Lou

7 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

So, bit of a stressful time here. My Dad had a nasty fall on the ice, and broke two ribs, plus he partially dislocated his hip. The Paramedics were absolutely brilliant ; they got here quickly, even though the operator said it might be a wait, `cos they had lots of ( mainly car, I think ) accidents at the time. Dad insisted on coming back home from the hospital the same day and is getting about with a zimmer frame, very slowly. The ribs are stupidly painful. :( Neighbours have been great, phoning, emailing and coming over ( one of them fixed our kitchen light for us ; the starter motor had died, but we had spares - but I have balance problems and can`t get up on a chair to fix it ). The pharmacy dropped off Dad`s medication too, which was so helpful. 

Yikes! My dad has dislocated his knee before, and my mom has broken her ribs before in a fall (she falls a lot), and I remember the pain they were in. I hope your dad feels better soon!

BF and I are on the couch with our laptops, kinda-watching the Oscars pre-show. Sundays are slow days for us, before the horror of the week begins. :wibbly:

On 3/4/2018 at 6:18 AM, Echo said:

I'm SO glad it's Saturday. BF and I are taking the day slowly, running a few errands, and now, waiting for our pizza/gyro dinner to come. :exc:

I hope you enjoyed your dinner :).

22 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

Only been able to get out and about on foot for the last couple of days, so it's been a quiet weekend at home, which actually makes a change!  Went out for a walk on both days, just to get some fresh air, but other than that, it's been reading and a bit of baking for me.  We stayed in and watched a film last night.  I don't intend to get out much today either other than a quick trip to the shops - but I do hope they've have had some deliveries now as I've almost run out of milk, and I can't go the whole day without tea or coffee! :D It's been really strange walking around the shop and seeing very little fruit, veg and dairy on the shelves.  Fortunately, they must have had enough stores to keep the bakery going, but there were plenty of sections with very little left.

It sounds like you had a nice quiet weekend :).

16 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

I'm so sorry about your Dad :(. I hope he will feel better soon :flowers2:.

8 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

I have two more weeks at work and then a trip to Whitby for a week over Easter. I cannot wait! I’ll be going with my boyfriend and his family; which will be his mum, sister, her husband and their two boys.

I hope you have fun on your trip in Whitby :)!

8 hours ago, Echo said:

BF and I are on the couch with our laptops, kinda-watching the Oscars pre-show. Sundays are slow days for us, before the horror of the week begins. :wibbly:

Good luck this week :(.

Hope your dad is feeling better soon, I hear ribs do take ages but there's not much you can do to speed up the process, they just have to heal in their own good time.  Glad he's getting around a little though. 

16 hours ago, Echo said:

Yikes! My dad has dislocated his knee before, and my mom has broken her ribs before in a fall (she falls a lot), and I remember the pain they were in. I hope your dad feels better soon!

Ooh, that doesn`t sound good. :( Has you Mom seen a vestibular physiotherapist ? I saw one a few years ago, and found it really helpful. :)

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:58 PM, Echo said:

You have my sympathies. I also have to start work early - at 7.30am, the plus side is that I also get to finish earlier at 3.30pm, thus avoiding both rush hours. It also means I have time at the end of the afternoon to do things I wouldn't be able to if I worked 9-5. You do get used to it in time.

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:48 PM, Little Pixie said:

Hope your Dad is getting better.

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, Athena said:

Have fun in Spain :)!

I had great fun in Spain. I landed back at Gatwick about 3.15 this afternoon. I visited 3 different cities in total - 4 nights in Granada, 2 in Cordoba and 4 in Seville. All 3 were very different. Granada and Cordoba are of course quite small, but Seville is much more the city (Spain's 5th largest I believe). Highlights were of course the Alhambra in Granada, plus a visit to the Arab Baths, the Mezquita and Roman Bridge (otherwise known as the Long Bridge of Volantis) in Cordoba and the Alcazar (the water gardens of Dorne) and Cathedral in Seville. I also went to see the ruins at Italica which was a definite high point - for Game of Thrones fans this was where they filmed the last episode in season 7 where Cersei met the white walker. It's much smaller than it looks on set but is very impressive, with beautiful mosaics and very easy to get to by bus. I went to see a fantastic Flamenco show as well in Seville, which was amazing, and had some great food and beer in different tapas places among other things. I am home now and its back to work tomorrow. If you don't come home after all, you can't go away again!           

14 hours ago, Talisman said:

I had great fun in Spain. I landed back at Gatwick about 3.15 this afternoon. I visited 3 different cities in total - 4 nights in Granada, 2 in Cordoba and 4 in Seville. All 3 were very different. Granada and Cordoba are of course quite small, but Seville is much more the city (Spain's 5th largest I believe). Highlights were of course the Alhambra in Granada, plus a visit to the Arab Baths, the Mezquita and Roman Bridge (otherwise known as the Long Bridge of Volantis) in Cordoba and the Alcazar (the water gardens of Dorne) and Cathedral in Seville. I also went to see the ruins at Italica which was a definite high point - for Game of Thrones fans this was where they filmed the last episode in season 7 where Cersei met the white walker. It's much smaller than it looks on set but is very impressive, with beautiful mosaics and very easy to get to by bus. I went to see a fantastic Flamenco show as well in Seville, which was amazing, and had some great food and beer in different tapas places among other things. I am home now and its back to work tomorrow. If you don't come home after all, you can't go away again!           

I'm glad you had a great trip :)!

We've been having problems with our sewer since a few days, but gladly it looks like they've just fixed it :).

6 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Glad you had a good time Talisman, sounds fabulous.  I'd love to see the GoT locations.

And you missed all the snow!

I always seem to pick the right weeks, although we had some pretty strange weather in Spain as well while I was there - a lot of rain and wind, but plenty of sun as well.

There are heaps of GOT locations still left for me to explore - I have seen the Icelandic, Maltese and most of the Croatian ones plus of course a few in southern Spain. There are loads in Girona and around the north of Spain as well, a few in Croatia I managed to miss, all of Northern Ireland and a few in Morocco that they used in season one, a country which is on my radar for this time next year, or perhaps even before Christmas, whenever it is cool enough for me basically and I can afford to go.

The next trip now though will be to Montenegro at the end of April/beginning of May. I am really looking forward to that one, as it is still relatively undiscovered and looks gorgeous.