What's Up in March? - 2018

Athena

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/5/2018 at 8:25 AM, Little Pixie said:

Ooh, that doesn`t sound good. :( Has you Mom seen a vestibular physiotherapist ? I saw one a few years ago, and found it really helpful. :)

I don't know. She has liver disease and a condition called hepatic encephalopathy, which is a build-up of ammonia in her brain. It causes her to experience mental confusion, fogginess, and motor instability. So, she tends to fall a lot, which then lands her in physical therapy. The worst was late last year when she fell out of bed and hit her head really hard on the wall (she actually dented the wall). She ended up with some bleeding on her brain, so they kept her in the hospital for a while. That was scary. :(

I'm SO glad it's Friday! It's been a challenging week and work (I even applied for a few jobs in a moment of weakness), so I'm ready for the weekend. We might visit my family tomorrow, as they're all getting together at my brother's house. If not, though, we'll probably run errands, watch movies, eat junk food, and sleep.

23 hours ago, Athena said:

Wow, that sounds pretty scary about your mum :(!

I wish you and everyone else a nice weekend :)!

13 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Oh, your poor Mum. :( I hope there`s something which can help her. :)

Thanks! It's been a rough couple of years for her and my dad. She can't drive, has a hard time walking, and needs transfusions and infusions of iron because she also deals with constant stomach bleeding, plus she has diabetes and needs insulin. My dad has actually retired to take care of her (he's over 70, it was time anyway), and my mom's sister lives about 40 minutes away and helps out a lot. But she still has a better memory than my dad and still loves to go out. :D

We actually skipped a family get-together today because we're both exhausted. I actually took a two-hour nap this afternoon, while BF has been doing some work on his computer (doing something called a pass-through using Linux and Windows :10_confused:). It's 11:00 at night now, and we might go out and do some grocery shopping, but hopefully not. I just want to watch a movie and order in.

On 3/11/2018 at 8:08 AM, Echo said:

We actually skipped a family get-together today because we're both exhausted. I actually took a two-hour nap this afternoon, while BF has been doing some work on his computer (doing something called a pass-through using Linux and Windows :10_confused:). It's 11:00 at night now, and we might go out and do some grocery shopping, but hopefully not. I just want to watch a movie and order in.

I hope you and your boyfriend feel less tired soon.

Last weekend Michael and I, and my parents, visited my grandparents and had lunch with them. It was nice to see my grandparents again and to spend some time with my family :).

Coran had to have an a procedure called an Angiogram today which is basically an X-Ray of the heart. I had to drop her off at the hospital at 7.30 this morning before going on to work and then pick her up afterwards. I got back there just after 4pm, although we didn't get out until almost 6pm, by which time we were both starving and knackered. Thankfully they didn't find anything and the staff of course were their usual wonderful selves. I think it might be an early night tonight though! 

It's a kind of short week for me at work in a way, as on Friday I am going on an activity day with some of the clients and other staff members. They do this a couple of times each year and try to encourage people from different departments to go, as it's basically team bonding exercises. As it's only round the corner from where I live, my own boss suggested that rather than coming to work first as most of them are doing and then car sharing to get there, I just meet them all there. This suits me as it means I get to have a lie in and be paid for it! :) I am looking forward to it actually - it should be good fun. 

@Talisman, I'm glad Coran's doing well! And have fun on your work outing!

I'm actually going on a work outing tomorrow evening. Our studio is going to a puzzle room, where we'll have to solve puzzles to escape the room. Most of us have never done anything like this before, so it should be interesting! What sucks is that there's no dinner served, and we'll be there from 5:30 until probably 8:00, so I'm going to be starving! :icon_eek:

In fact, I'm starving now. Time to order pizza, I think!

11 hours ago, Talisman said:

Coran had to have an a procedure called an Angiogram today which is basically an X-Ray of the heart. I had to drop her off at the hospital at 7.30 this morning before going on to work and then pick her up afterwards. I got back there just after 4pm, although we didn't get out until almost 6pm, by which time we were both starving and knackered. Thankfully they didn't find anything and the staff of course were their usual wonderful selves. I think it might be an early night tonight though! 

I'm glad the angiogram was good and that Coran is okay :).

It's a kind of short week for me at work in a way, as on Friday I am going on an activity day with some of the clients and other staff members. They do this a couple of times each year and try to encourage people from different departments to go, as it's basically team bonding exercises. As it's only round the corner from where I live, my own boss suggested that rather than coming to work first as most of them are doing and then car sharing to get there, I just meet them all there. This suits me as it means I get to have a lie in and be paid for it! :) I am looking forward to it actually - it should be good fun. 

I hope you have fun :).

5 hours ago, Echo said:

I'm actually going on a work outing tomorrow evening. Our studio is going to a puzzle room, where we'll have to solve puzzles to escape the room. Most of us have never done anything like this before, so it should be interesting! What sucks is that there's no dinner served, and we'll be there from 5:30 until probably 8:00, so I'm going to be starving! :icon_eek:

I hope you have fun and that you won't be too hungry :) (I would be hungry too! Could you eat something before 5:30?).

I'm not feeling great today, I've got a bad headache and some other period related pains. So I guess I'll try to take things slow(er) today.

I am back to work today, after having yesterday off. It was nice to break the week up a little bit. 

I’ll be going over to my sister and brother in law’s for tea. Which I’m looking forward to.

The puzzle room sounds interesting, hope you have fun :)

51 minutes ago, Athena said:

I'm not feeling great today, I've got a bad headache and some other period related pains. So I guess I'll try to take things slow(er) today.

Sorry to hear you don’t feel well! Those two are not a good combination :( 

Make sure to rest as much as you can. Are there any painkillers you can take to help ease it? 

5 minutes ago, Lau_Lou said:

I am back to work today, after having yesterday off. It was nice to break the week up a little bit. 

I’ll be going over to my sister and brother in law’s for tea. Which I’m looking forward to.

Have fun with your family :).

5 minutes ago, Lau_Lou said:

Sorry to hear you don’t feel well! Those two are not a good combination :( 

Make sure to rest as much as you can. Are there any painkillers you can take to help ease it? 

Thanks :). I've taken a painkiller at breakfast, and it's partially working. I can take another one at lunch time, which I plan to do.

It is never pleasant having procedures like Coran had to have yesterday, but it was necessary, even if only to put our minds at rest. She needs to have a quiet few days at home though recovering, as it is a bit invasive and does take it out of you.

At least I get a lie in tomorrow as I don't have to be at the centre where the activities are being held until just before 10am. I could have gone in for a few hours, but to be honest I can't really be bothered - anyway I have already arranged cover. I have an employee forum meeting coming up in the next week or so, and as it's the first one for our new CEO it's likely to drag on for a bit, as people always have loads to bring forward when they think there is a new boss around who may or may not want to change things. I will make up the time there I expect then and just won't claim for it like I usually do. 

19 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Glad Coran's procedure went Ok and at least she got the all clear.

hope you feel better soon Athena, that's a horrible combination; what we women have to put up with!

Hope you are feeling better Athena - I have always been quite lucky in that department but fingers crossed won't have tor worry about that sort of thing anymore soon anyway.   

I had to take Coran back to A&E this morning as she had a delayed reaction to the dye that they used, which can sometimes happen. It's nothing that a few anti histamines won't sort out though. Afterwards to went to Sainsbury's for the weekly shop and treated ourselves to some sushi from their sushi bar for lunch to take home. As it has been snowing on and off we are having a quiet afternoon with our Kindles and the TV. 

Yesterday was great fun though - it was myself and 2 other staff members - one from catering and one from the offsite support team with 6 of our clients. We spent the morning building a fire and toasting marsh mallows and after lunch we were swinging from ropes and jumping off of things and doing all sorts of fun stuff. The best bit was what they called the minefield where you had to navigate your way through an imaginary minefield without getting blown up. 

Edited by Talisman

18 hours ago, Talisman said:

I had to take Coran back to A&E this morning as she had a delayed reaction to the dye that they used, which can sometimes happen. It's nothing that a few anti histamines won't sort out though. Afterwards to went to Sainsbury's for the weekly shop and treated ourselves to some sushi from their sushi bar for lunch to take home. As it has been snowing on and off we are having a quiet afternoon with our Kindles and the TV. 

I'm glad Coran is okay, that sounds scary. I love sushi! Sometimes it's nice to have a quiet afternoon :).

18 hours ago, Talisman said:

Yesterday was great fun though - it was myself and 2 other staff members - one from catering and one from the offsite support team with 6 of our clients. We spent the morning building a fire and toasting marsh mallows and after lunch we were swinging from ropes and jumping off of things and doing all sorts of fun stuff. The best bit was what they called the minefield where you had to navigate your way through an imaginary minefield without getting blown up. 

I'm glad you had fun :).

A quiet day here, which is kind of nice to be honest :).

On 15/03/2018 at 8:26 AM, Athena said:

Have fun with your family :).

thank you :)

You know I cannot believe how fast this weekend has gone. 

I learnt something new too. My sister is pregnant (her bump is too cute for words) and I showed some pictures of the nursery to my friend. She said it looked great and was glad they didn’t use bright colours because babies up until a good few months old can only see in black and white. 

I didn't know that either about babies only seeing in black and white.

It was so cold at work today especially in the wind. It was beautiful though I must admit, but I am glad to be back home in the warm. That's the only problem with my job when the weather is bad like this - the constant going from warm (indoors) to cold (outdoors). It has its plus side though in the summer when I can wear shorts and get a nice tan!  

Hi all, hope everyone is well :)

Haven't been around as much as my reading has slowed right down, been on the one book for over a week now. I blame Bloodborne, which I am addicted to playing. But also work and college have been a bit stressful lately, and I can't really read when stressed. Hoping to start getting back on track!

2 hours ago, Nollaig said:

Hi all, hope everyone is well :)

Haven't been around as much as my reading has slowed right down, been on the one book for over a week now. I blame Bloodborne, which I am addicted to playing. But also work and college have been a bit stressful lately, and I can't really read when stressed. Hoping to start getting back on track!

Hi Noll, I hope you are well too :). Sorry to hear about your stress :(. I find it harder to read when I'm stressed too. I hope you feel better soon :hug:.

I am sure things will get better soon, they usually do I find. I will send you a hug as well though. :hug: 

Things are really good for me actually at the moment after a pretty stressful time at the beginning of the year. Corans health seems to be slowly improving, I am sleeping a lot better as well which certainly helps, and my moods have been a lot less up and down. I haven't had a period for almost 4 months now so I am hoping this means I won't get another one, which would certainly explain the lack of mood swings and improved sleep patterns. Sorry to you men if this is a bit graphic, but its part of life.     

Work is really good too. It's a busy time for us with spring cleaning and so on. I have been busy getting quotes for new machinery as we have not spent our budget for the year and we want to make sure we do as otherwise it will be cut next year - I am hoping to try and get some steam mops to give the floors all a really deep clean without the use of chemicals, which will potentially save us even more money. The garden at work is coming to life with lots of flowers in bloom and buds starting to appear on some of the trees. The spring equinox is tomorrow and the clocks change this weekend - I think most people feel a lot better after that as it means that summer is on its way. Long may it last! 

With you all the wa\y on the monthly thing Talisman - the sense of freedom is wonderful isn't it?

It was still almost light when I got home at around 6.30 tonight, and all the buds are ready to open, despite the latest cold snap. All we need is some warmer weather now.... still not going to plant any seeds or bulbs yet though.