Chang - elephant book, help required

When I was at junior school in the 60s we read a book that I thought was called "Chang". It was about a boy and an elephant and the place where elephants go to die. I wanted to find it for my grandson to read but after Googling and searching on Amazon I can't find any record of it. Can anyone help please?

It looks like it might have been Chang by Elizabeth Morse (sometimes known as Chang the Siamese Elephant) but it's out of print and I only found one copy on Amazon UK here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chang-Elizabeth-Morse/dp/B000MXEC3G.  I did also find a few more on AbeBooks.co.uk: https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=elizabeth+morse&tn=chang&kn=&isbn=.  None of them have a description of the book, but if you google "change the siamese elephant by elizabeth morse", some of the descriptions of the links seem to indicate it's what you're looking for.

Hope that helps.

• 3 years later...

Hi Badge,

Did you by any chance go to St Vincent's RC primary school in Dagenham, Essex around 1963-4? In my final year there, junior 4, our teacher, Miss Elsmore, used to read a bit to us every Friday afternoon. Something made me think of the book today and I thought I'd google it! 

Best regards

Konrad

• 6 months later...

I too thought I was imagining things! I'm so glad you posted this query. I'd remembered that the elephant was called Chang and that I really enjoyed the book. We had a copy each in my primary school in the late 50's. It must have been a popular book with the teachers.I too wish I'd kept my copy.