observers pocket series - query on print dates

highheidyin

I have a dozen and a half of these books which I loved to read as a child, but need to pass on to someone else to enjoy. A quick check tells me that in reasonable, not excellent condition, and without dust jackets, they're not worth a great deal. But I'm a little confused; three quarters of the books have edition and reprint dates following the title page, but the others have no edition or print date information. So for example British Wild Flowers was first printed in 1949, British Butterflies in 1953. Does the lack of print and edition information mean these are first editions from those dates?

Sorry, but we’re a group of readers and not book collectors or publishing experts. :) 

Ive never looked for any, but have you tried looking for any antiquarian book collectors websites? Or, can you find out if the publisher is still in business (perhaps taken over or merged with a bigger publishing house) and can contact them direct?