• Announcements

• Michelle

Important Announcement!   07/28/2018

Dear BCF members,   This forum has been running now for many years, and over that time we have seen many changes. Generalised forums are nowhere near as popular as they once were, and they have been very much taken over by blogs, vlogs and social media discussions. Running a forum well takes money, and a lot of care and attention, as there is so much which goes on behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly.   With all of this in mind, and after discussion within the current moderator team, the decision has been made to close this forum in its current format. I know that this will disappoint a lot of our long term members, but I want to reassure you that it's not a decision which has been taken lightly.    The remaining moderator team have agreed that we do not want to lose everything which is special about our home, and so we are starting a brand new facebook group, so that people can stay in touch, and discussions can continue. We can use it for free and should be easier for us to run (it won't need to be updated or hosted). We know not everyone has FaceBook, but we hope that those of you who are interested will join the group. We will share the link, and send invites as soon as we are ready to go. Added: We may as well get this going, find us here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195289821332924/   The forum will close to new registrations, but will remain open for some time, to allow people to collect up any information, reading lists etc they need to, and to ensure they have contact details for those they wish to stay in touch with.    The whole team feel sad to say goodbye, but we also feel that it's perhaps time and that it feels like the right choice. We hope we can stay in touch with all of you through our new FaceBook group.   I personally want to thank everyone who has helped me moderate the forum, both in the past and the present, and I also want to thank every single person who has visited, and shared their love of books.. I'm so proud of everything we've achieved, and the home we built.   Please visit the new section in the Lounge section to discuss this further, ask questions etc.
Marie H

Marie H Reading List 2018

Hope to be chipping away at my physical TBR pile in 2018. :lol::blush:

In January, I have read 3 books, but none of them of the physical TBR pile...:rolleyes:

1. Bramtom Wick by Elizabeth Fair 

2. A Chelsea Concerto by Frances Faviell 

3. The New Mrs Clifton by Elizabeth Buchan

All three books were excellent, especially The New Mrs Clifton. I will do review those later on....hopefully!

Currently reading list is

Savage continent: Europe and the aftermath of World War II  by Keith Lowe

Three things about Elsie by Joanna Cannon 

Dying in the Wool by Frances Brady

Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones 

Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Edited by Marie H

I wish you a great reading year in 2018, Marie :):readingtwo:!

I really liked Howl's Moving Castle when I read it, I hope you do too.

On 09/02/2018 at 8:16 AM, Athena said:

I wish you a great reading year in 2018, Marie :):readingtwo:!

I really liked Howl's Moving Castle when I read it, I hope you do too.

Thank you very much! :)  i’ve started reading Howl’s Moving Castle,  and it’s really good. 

On 09/02/2018 at 5:59 PM, Little Pixie said:

Happy Reading in 2018, Marie. :)

Thank you very much! :)

I’ve had a splurge on books this week. :) Mostly ebooks, are 

Quartet by Richmal Crompton

The unwomanly face of war by Svetlana Alexievich (This was an abridged Book Of The Week on Radio 4 sometime in 2017)

The Lark by E. Nesbit

The Gene: An Intimate Histo

Ordered a tree book from Book Depositary via Amazon

A Sky Longing For Memories: The Art of Makoto Shinkai :smile: Looking for this one!

Decided to have Sally Magnusson’s The Sealwoman’s Gift as an Audible book. :smile:

So I’ll have Crooked Heart by Lissa Evans as my treebook for the mo.

And Sky Longing For Memories, A : The Art of Makoto Shinkai should be arriving tomorrow :exc:

Edited by Marie H

17 hours ago, Marie H said:

And Sky Longing For Memories, A : The Art of Makoto Shinkai should be arriving tomorrow :exc:

I hope this will be a nice book! His artwork is beautiful, so I hope the book will have plenty of nice artwork :D.

23 hours ago, Marie H said:

Oooooooh that sounds awesome!

On 2/20/2018 at 9:41 AM, Athena said:

I hope this will be a nice book! His artwork is beautiful, so I hope the book will have plenty of nice artwork :D.

Thanks! :) The artwork in this book is so beautiful :wub:, that I'm really pleased that I bought it. 

On 2/20/2018 at 4:00 PM, Nollaig said:

Oooooooh that sounds awesome!

It's just a beautiful book! :wub: Just full of lush artwork, mostly from 5 Centimeters per Second

On 2/20/2018 at 5:03 PM, frankie said:

I hope you have a fabulous year of reading in 2018, Marie! :smile2::readingtwo:

Thank you very much! :) I hope you have a great reading year too :readingtwo:

Reading at the mo

The Promised Neverland, Vol. 1: Grace Field House by Kaiu Shirai (author) and Posuka Demizu (illustration) Kindle version 

A great story, and the manga illustrations are beautiful :wub:

Company in the Evening  by Ursula Orange (Kindle Edition)

Book blurb “Of all the unhappiness my divorce has brought upon me, loneliness has never been in the least a part. Lack of company in the evening is to me an absolute luxury.”

Thus does Vicky, a young divorcée in London with a small daughter to support, reassure herself.

But as the plucky courage of the early days of World War II gives way to the fatigue and deprivations of its middle, company in the evening is just what she gets. To the chagrin of her housekeeper, Vicky agrees to take in a pregnant, widowed sister-in-law.

Lovely book, with gentle humour - the book equivalent to a warm mug of Horlicks:D 

Reading schedule 

Company in the Evening by Ursula Orange 

Murder in Morocco by Judith Cranswick 

Calamity in Kent by John Rowland (British Library Crime Classics)

Scarletti’s Ghost by Linda Stratmann 

All those books are all good, so far. :)

Finished The Promised Neverland #5: Escape. Excellent episode of the series. Bought the #6 paperback (pre-order for October).

Started reading Adam Nicholson’s The Seabird’s Cry: The Lives and Loves of Puffins, Gannets and Other Ocean Voyagers. 

Edit: Started this book last night, but I'm finding it difficult so far. The author seems to have a rather florid style. And I'm only on page 2! Not a good sign....:(.

Edit 2: Gave up on this book, as I couldn't get into it. That has go back to the library, and I will read The Salt Path by Raynor Winn.

Edited by Marie H

Bought some Kindle Penguin Modern Classics for 99p each,

Love in a Fallen City, and Other Stories by Eileen Chang,

Bonjour Tristess and A Certain Smile by Françoise Sagan (this will be a re-read)