Muggle Not - 2018 Books Read

muggle not

36. The Good Daughter - Karin Slaughter - 9/10 - Excellent read. The book started off with a bang. I wondered though as I was reading well into the book what had happened to one of the main characters as she was not written into the story, then wow, all of a sudden she came back and became the most important person in the story. This may be one of my favorite Karin Slaughter books.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

37. Faithless - Karin slaughter - 8/10

38. Beyond Reach - Karin Slaughter - 8/10 - This book completes the "Grant County" series for me. I was anxious to see how the series ended and was not disappointed. Good read. Now I can get back into the "Will Trent" series. I have been filling in with Karin Slaughter while waiting on a couple books on hold at the library. I have two books where I am #1 on the hold list. I am anxious to read Taylor Brown's book. Brown is a relatively new author and is getting rave reviews.

In Gods of Howl Mountain, award-winning author Taylor Brown explores a world of folk healers, whiskey-runners, and dark family secrets in the high country of 1950s North Carolina.

Bootlegger Rory Docherty has returned home to the fabled mountain of his childhood - a misty wilderness that holds its secrets close and keeps the outside world at gunpoint. Slowed by a wooden leg and haunted by memories of the Korean War, Rory runs bootleg whiskey for a powerful mountain clan in a retro-fitted '40 Ford coupe. Between deliveries to roadhouses, brothels, and private clients, he lives with his formidable grandmother, evades federal agents, and stokes the wrath of a rival runner.

Edit - I wasn't expecting it but I got another book that I had on hold at the library before the 2 books where I am #1 on the hold list. I received The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah and will start reading it tonight.

Edited by muggle not

I will miss many, many people here on the forum. Chrissy, kylie, and almost everyone else.

Poppy - will miss discussing a couple authors we both enjoy...…Gerald Durrell and of course Alan Bradley and his "Flavia" books. Probably more than the books will miss playing the Never Ending Song Title with you.. I guess though that everything must end.

Athena - Will miss discussing the books by Catherine Ryan Hyde. We both especially enjoyed the one specific book by her. Good reading.

Michelle - Wish we had discussed Stephen King a little more. I know we both liked many of his books.

Frankie - I think we could have had more of a discussion on Karin Slaughter. Your book lists TBR and those "read" are probably the most impressive I have seen on the forum. I do hope you read more of John Steinbeck.

Little Pixie - We both enjoyed The Witches of the Midwest and I am not done reading those books by Amanda M. Lee. I hope you continue enjoying them.

It is difficult to name only a few people and I don't mean to omit others. I wish the best to "all" the members.

Gerald Durrell

On 30.7.2018 at 12:46 AM, muggle not said:

With the forum closing I will probably never know if you enjoyed reading The Good Daughter. :(

You've been here 19 hours ago, according to my knowledge, so I think this might still reach you:

I have now read the book! :D   I started it last weekend and finished it last Thursday or so. I really liked it! I gave it 4/5.  I found Sam and Charlie really captivating characters, and I wish I could read more about them! I liked how there was something to be discovered in the old story, and I was really surprised by what had really happened at the school!  My favorite bit was how

Spoiler
Spoiler

we were told Charlie had eaten two bowls of ice-cream at whatshername (I've already forgotten about her!) and how they thought it was odd, and how we were later told the reason for her eating the ice-cream. I thought that was just such a great touch.

On 7.8.2018 at 4:19 AM, muggle not said:

This book completes the "Grant County" series for me. I was anxious to see how the series ended and was not disappointed. Good read. Now I can get back into the "Will Trent" series. I have been filling in with Karin Slaughter while waiting on a couple books on hold at the library.

I'm really glad you weren't disappointed! :smile2: But I never expected you to be!

19 hours ago, muggle not said:

Frankie - I think we could have had more of a discussion on Karin Slaughter. Your book lists TBR and those "read" are probably the most impressive I have seen on the forum. I do hope you read more of John Steinbeck.

We definitely could have had more convos on Slaughter and Steinbeck, and who knows which other authors. And just when we were discovering mutual favorite authors and books to share! 

I take it you won't be joining the FB group? 

We will all miss this place :(  

Edited by frankie

On 8/11/2018 at 12:05 AM, muggle not said:

Athena - Will miss discussing the books by Catherine Ryan Hyde. We both especially enjoyed the one specific book by her. Good reading.

I will miss you too! I loved discussing her books with you :). I'll always remember you when I think of those books :).

On 10/08/2018 at 11:05 PM, muggle not said:

Little Pixie - We both enjoyed The Witches of the Midwest and I am not done reading those books by Amanda M. Lee. I hope you continue enjoying them.

Aw, I will think of you when the next one comes out ! All the very best for the future. :friends3:

• 2 months later...

Books that I have read since the demise of the BCF. :)

39. The Great Alone – Kristin Hannah - 8/10

40. Unseen – Karin Slaughter - 8/10

41. Gods of Howl Mountain – Taylor Brown - 8/10

42. Great Expectations – Charles Dickens - 10/10 (A  re-read)

43. A Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens - 10/10 (A re-read)

44. Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes – Karin Slaughter - 8/10

45. Desolation Mountain – William Kent Krueger - 8/10

46. Depth of Winter (A Longmire Mystery) – Craig Johnson - 8/10

47. The Kept Woman – Karin Slaughter - 8/10

48. The River of Kings – Taylor Brown - 7.5/10

49. In the Garden of Beasts – Erik Larson - 8/10 - A true story & very interesting book:

The time is 1933, the place, Berlin, when William E. Dodd becomes America’s first ambassador to Hitler’s Nazi Germany in a year that proved to be a turning point in history.

50. Where The Crawdads Sing - Delia Owens - 10/10 - excluding Dickens, the best book that I have read this year.  If I had written the book though there is one thing that I would have changed. :)

Edited by muggle not

On 11/14/2018 at 10:13 PM, muggle not said:

50. Where The Crawdads Sing - Delia Owens - 10/10 - excluding Dickens, the best book that I have read this year.  If I had written the book though there is one thing that I would have changed. :)

I believe I need to say a little more about this book and author. This is probably one of the best written books that I have read for quite awhile. Delia Owens has a way of describing things that few authors have. I also found that you need to pay attention to some of the writing early on in the book as it comes back and is important later on in the story. The story itself is very, very, good. I was sorry that the book ended. There are certain parts of the writing and storyline that remind me somewhat of "To Kill A Mockingbird". I wish that I was just starting to read the book instead of having finished it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just saying Hi :) I've been curious about Where The Crawdads Sing, I'm glad you liked it. I'll consider it now, thanks :)

How are you?

Edited: Saw you read The Great Alone, I enjoyed it as well!

Edited by Anna Begins

On 12/13/2018 at 11:59 AM, Anna Begins said:

Just saying Hi :) I've been curious about Where The Crawdads Sing, I'm glad you liked it. I'll consider it now, thanks :)

How are you?

Edited: Saw you read The Great Alone, I enjoyed it as well!

Doing ok. Hope to see you more often here. I promise that you will love Where The Crawdads Sing. It is really, really, good.

51. The Last Kingdom - Bernard Cornwell - 8/10

52. The Pale Horseman - Bernard Cornwell - 8/10

53. Lords of the North - Bernard Cornwell - 8/10

On 11/11/2018 at 1:12 AM, muggle not said:

Books that I have read since the demise of the BCF. :)

42. Great Expectations – Charles Dickens - 10/10 (A  re-read)

43. A Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens - 10/10 (A re-read)

What are your thoughts on Charles Dickens? I know his stories are well known but I'm in two minds about reading his works. Would you say his writing is pretty good, or is it mainly the strength of his plots and his characters which makes him so well known?

On 12/21/2018 at 12:05 PM, Angury said:

What are your thoughts on Charles Dickens? I know his stories are well known but I'm in two minds about reading his works. Would you say his writing is pretty good, or is it mainly the strength of his plots and his characters which makes him so well known?

Charles Dickens writing is excellent. He ranks highly on my list of 10 favorite authors.

On 21/12/2018 at 5:05 PM, Angury said:

Apologies if I'm butting in, but I hope you don't mind if I add my two penn'orth - Dickens is one of my favourite writers too!

His writing is distinctly 'Victorian', i.e. in modern terms he doesn't seem to mind using half a dozen words where just one would do, and his vocabulary is more ornate than many modern readers are used to.  He thus takes a bit of getting used to, but once your ear (eye?) is tuned in, he is actually (I find) a complete joy to read.  He creates an entire world for complete immersion, settings and characters developed to a depth that many writers simply can't aspire to, whilst he seems to be able to handle amazingly complex plots and large casts with ease - I think the best example of this all is Bleak House, which is one of my top half dozen books of all time.  If you're not familiar with him, I'd probably try either Great Expectations or Oliver Twist first, as they're both good examples of his style, and cracking stories, whilst not being the length that some can extend to!  My other favourites include David Copperfield and Pickwick Papers, but the latter is completely different in style to other books so, whilst I thoroughly recommend it, I wouldn't take it as typical of later work (it was his first, and is the most eighteenth century of his books).

On 12/24/2018 at 9:18 AM, willoyd said:

Apologies if I'm butting in, but I hope you don't mind if I add my two penn'orth - Dickens is one of my favourite writers too!

His writing is distinctly 'Victorian', i.e. in modern terms he doesn't seem to mind using half a dozen words where just one would do, and his vocabulary is more ornate than many modern readers are used to.  He thus takes a bit of getting used to, but once your ear (eye?) is tuned in, he is actually (I find) a complete joy to read.  He creates an entire world for complete immersion, settings and characters developed to a depth that many writers simply can't aspire to, whilst he seems to be able to handle amazingly complex plots and large casts with ease - I think the best example of this all is Bleak House, which is one of my top half dozen books of all time.  If you're not familiar with him, I'd probably try either Great Expectations or Oliver Twist first, as they're both good examples of his style, and cracking stories, whilst not being the length that some can extend to!  My other favourites include David Copperfield and Pickwick Papers, but the latter is completely different in style to other books so, whilst I thoroughly recommend it, I wouldn't take it as typical of later work (it was his first, and is the most eighteenth century of his books).

Your input is welcome.

54. Sword Song - Bernard Cornwell - 8/10

55. The Burning Land - Bernard Cornwell - 8/10

56. Death of Kings - Bernard Cornwell - 8/10