Muggle Not - 2018 Books Read

muggle not

3 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

We can also suggest books to our library, but I really try to be selective about it as well. I try to think if many people would enjoy it, or if it's too much niche. Our library doesn't notify us, but then I don't usually request them officially :D A friend of mine works there - I went to London with her in December, talked about a bok there, she said she'd ask her colleague. Sure enough, that same week the book was on the website as being in the process of being ordered!

The book I asked for was A Column of Fire :D And I went ahead and requested the other two books as well, so everyone can read them all :D 

Libraries are wonderful.

Did you read A Column of Fire yet? I downloaded it from the library and read it and rated the book as a 9/10. I bought the kindle book for my wife as she doesn't read as fast as me and library books have to be turned in after 21 days. She got about 40% into the book and put it aside. I will attempt to get her to start reading it again as I believe she will eventually like the book. :)

I am currently #9 on the hold list (library has 8 copies) for "Robichaeux" a book by James Lee Burke, one of my favorite authors. I don't know whether to wait for it or start another book. I may pick one from Frankies list. Her list is tremendous.

Edited by muggle not

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, muggle not said:

Libraries are wonderful.

Did you read A Column of Fire yet? I downloaded it from the library and read it and rated the book as a 9/10. I bought the kindle book for my wife as she doesn't read as fast as me and library books have to be turned in after 21 days. She got about 40% into the book and put it aside. I will attempt to get her to start reading it again as I believe she will eventually like the book. :)

I am currently #9 on the hold list (library has 8 copies) for "Robichaeux" a book by James Lee Burke, one of my favorite authors. I don't know whether to wait for it or start another book. I may pick one from Frankies list. Her list is tremendous.

I read it and I absolutely loved it - my review's in my topic somewhere. I bought the first two books in paperback, so now I want this one in paperback as well. But I couldn't wait until the release to read it! Odd how paperback is always published so much later than the hardback.

I started reading it and couldn't put it down. I frankly (hehe) can't imagine putting it down almost halfway through. It's signficantly shorter than the previous two books, too.

I'd start on another book. You never know how slow the reader before you is! Maybe take a light book, or a short one, so that you have enough time for Robichaeux. Is it in French?

We can keep library books for four weeks and lengthen that twice (unless someone's made a reservation I believe), first for another two weeks and then for a few days.

Down to #8 on the hold list with 8 copies available. One of my favorite living authors;

James Lee Burke’s most beloved character, Dave Robicheaux, returns in this gritty, atmospheric mystery set in the towns and backwoods of Louisiana.

Between his recurrent nightmares about Vietnam, his battle with alcoholism, and the sudden loss of his beloved wife, Molly, his thoughts drift from one irreconcilable memory to the next. Images of ghosts at Spanish Lake live on the edge of his vision.

During a murder investigation, Dave Robicheaux discovers he may have committed the homicide he’s investigating, one which involved the death of the man who took the life of Dave’s beloved wife. As he works to clear his name and make sense of the murder, Robicheaux encounters a cast of characters and a resurgence of dark social forces that threaten to destroy all of those whom he loves. What emerges is not only a propulsive and thrilling novel, but a harrowing study of America: this nation’s abiding conflict between a sense of past grandeur and a legacy of shame, its easy seduction by demagogues and wealth, and its predilection for violence and revenge. James Lee Burke has returned with one of America’s favorite characters, in his most searing, most prescient novel to date.

• 2 weeks later...

18. The End Game - David Baldacci - 9/10 - great book. I really love the Robie & Reel series. Can't wiat for the next one.

17. The Night Manager - John le Carre - 8/10 - I am liking leCarre's writing. This was the second of his books that I have read and I will read more.

16. the Girl Who Died a Lot - Jasper Fforde - 8/10 - typical good read by Fforde. :)

Tonight I will start "Robicheaux" by James Lee Burke. I just now downloaded t from the library after a long wait on the hold list.

19. Robicheaux - James Lee Burke - 9/10 - Great read. Burke is one of my favorite authors. This book is one of the Dave Robicheaux series. Dave and his sidekick Clete purcel go bonkers and the introduction of "Smiley", a guy that looks like Elmer Fudd and also talks like him is fabulous. However Smiley "caps" those that are evil and/or just plain mean to women and children. He will sit and eat a sandwich and a minute later shoot a person between the eyes. john Grisham has stated that Burke is his favorite author.

20. Flat Broke With Two Goats (A Memoir) - Jennifer McGaha - 8/10 - I really enjoyed this book. It must have been difficult fro her to write the book with so much truth that she gives to the story. I admire her for telling the story and not covering up some of the difficult parts. Not many people could go through what she has in her life and come out with a love that did not exist previously. Her writing style is very good for a first book. Kudos to her.

Muggle, I'm up to date now with the Wicked Witches books, and wanted to let you know - the second Wicked Witches fantasy book, A Witch in Time, is excellent - and that Book 12 in the Wicked Witches mystery series  - A Breath of Witchy Air -comes out in May. :)

Edited by Little Pixie

I just purchased Life's a Witch (Wicked Witches of the Midwest Book 7). Sound like it may be interesting.  aunt Tillie's sister is going to visit.

currently reading The Looking Glass war by John Le Carre. I am a little over 50% into the book and so far not to interesting, hope it picks up soon.

21. The Looking Glass War - John le Carre - 7/10 - I didn't think this was one of his better books

Currently reading "The Rooster Bar" by John Grisham. I am about 65% into the book and wondering why I am reading it.

1 hour ago, muggle not said:

21. The Looking Glass War - John le Carre - 7/10 - I didn't think this was one of his better books

Currently reading "The Rooster Bar" by John Grisham. I am about 65% into the book and wondering why I am reading it.

Oh dear. :(

I don`t remember The Looking Glass War at all, and I thought I was 2/3 of the way through, reading them in order. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

22. The Rooster Bar - John Grisham - 7/10 - I don't  think this was one of Grisham's better books.

23. Life's A Witch - Amanda M. Lee - 8/10 - Good reading as Aunt Willa visits her sister Aunt Tillie and sparks fly.

currently reading Allie and Bea by Catherine Ryan Hyde.

9 hours ago, muggle not said:

currently reading Allie and Bea by Catherine Ryan Hyde.

I have that on my TBR, I hope you enjoy it :).

I also have The Rooster Bar on my TBR, shame it wasn't so good :(.

24. Allie & Bea - Catherine Ryan Hyde - 8/10 - Thoroughly enjoying read. Type of book that makes you mad at certain things that happen in the book and you wonder how mean some people can be. And how misfortunate others can be. I wish there had been a little bit more story to the book ending.  All-In-All though it was a good book. :)

Currently reading The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison. A little dark for my tastes but I am going to finish the book.

Edited by muggle not

25. The Butterfly Garden - Dot Hutchison - 7/10 - Too Dark of a book for me. Guy kidnaps girls and tattoos butterfly wings on their backs and then uses the girls as his plaything, etc. He keeps them in his private Butterfly Garden.

• 4 weeks later...

26. Cop Town - Karin Slaughter - 8/10

27. Last Breath - Karin Slaughter - 8/10

28. Undone - Karin Slaughter - 8/10

All the Karin Slaughter books were good reads. If you have read any of her books these are typical hard hitting reads.

I am starting Stephen King's latest book, The Outsider, tonight.

Edited by muggle not

29. The Outsider - Stephen King - 8/10 - The first part of the book moved pretty slow and mainly consisted of interviews of a horrific crime that had been committed. Gradually the book picked up steam and got interesting. I was surprised, pleasantly, when characters from previous books started to be mentioned and in one case became a key person in the book. Overall it was a good read but still not on the scale of King's best books.

30. - Venom of the Mountain Man - William W. Johnstone - 7.5/10 - a Western featuring Smoke Jensen of the Smoke Jensen series. Not a great story as anyone could determine the outcome early into the book.

On 18.3.2018 at 12:11 AM, muggle not said:
On 22.2.2018 at 12:03 AM, muggle not said:

Last year I downloaded 44 books from the library to my kindle. Much less than previous years (but still quite a few that I didn't have to buy) :). most years I download at least 60+ books from the library. I am grateful for my kindle AND the library. :) It would be pretty expensive otherwise.

I'm late to respond, sorry. But 60+ books is a LOT! You're saving a big bunch of money :) And supporting your library system! :smile2: 

Do you mean me? Which list are you referring to, I'm curious! :D

On 15.6.2018 at 1:09 AM, muggle not said:

26. Cop Town - Karin Slaughter - 8/10

27. Last Breath - Karin Slaughter - 8/10

28. Undone - Karin Slaughter - 8/10

All the Karin Slaughter books were good reads. If you have read any of her books these are typical hard hitting reads.

I've read Karin Slaughter's books, I can't remember how many. She is one of my most favorite authors in her genre. She does things I never see coming! I have quite a few of her book to be read, but I'm wondering if I should re-read the earlier novels in the series. I think Triptych is the favorite I've read by her. :)

I should get back to Jasper Fforde, too! I've only read The Eyre Affair, which was obviously brilliant. :smile2:

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:49 PM, frankie said:

I'm late to respond, sorry. But 60+ books is a LOT! You're saving a big bunch of money :) And supporting your library system! :smile2: 

Do you mean me? Which list are you referring to, I'm curious! :D

Yes, I mean you. :) The list I was referring to was your TBR list although all your lists are good. When are you going to get around to East of Eden by Steinbeck?

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:49 PM, frankie said:

I've read Karin Slaughter's books, I can't remember how many. She is one of my most favorite authors in her genre. She does things I never see coming! I have quite a few of her book to be read, but I'm wondering if I should re-read the earlier novels in the series. I think Triptych is the favorite I've read by her. :)

I should get back to Jasper Fforde, too! I've only read The Eyre Affair, which was obviously brilliant. :smile2:

I see where you also have The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter on your list of books bought. You may want to consider holding off on reading it until you read her previous books. I am on a roll of reading Karin Slaughter right now. Actually, I have The Good Daughter on hold at the library as I fly through her earlier books.

It's nice to see you're still reading CRH :). I have Heaven Adjacent but I haven't read it yet (I haven't actually read the last few books she's published, but all in good time!). Glad it was an allright read :).

On 7/10/2018 at 6:41 PM, muggle not said:

Yes, I mean you. :) The list I was referring to was your TBR list although all your lists are good. When are you going to get around to East of Eden by Steinbeck?

Well thank you for the compliment! :smile2: I don't know about East of Eden. I do love the books I've read by Steinbeck, but my copy of EoE is not a very tidy and nice one, I think it's putting me off reading the book. I bought it as second-hand from a library collection. I shouldn't hold it against the novel, though! I'll get to it at some point. 

On 7/10/2018 at 6:41 PM, muggle not said:

I see where you also have The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter on your list of books bought. You may want to consider holding off on reading it until you read her previous books. I am on a roll of reading Karin Slaughter right now. Actually, I have The Good Daughter on hold at the library as I fly through her earlier books.

Hm, is The Good Daughter not a standalone novel? In any case, I don't think the book's very high on my current priority list. I have a lot of non-fiction stuff I want to get to at the moment. 

Glad to see you're still plowing through Slaughter's novels and enjoying them! :smile2:

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:03 AM, frankie said:

Well thank you for the compliment! :smile2: I don't know about East of Eden. I do love the books I've read by Steinbeck, but my copy of EoE is not a very tidy and nice one, I think it's putting me off reading the book. I bought it as second-hand from a library collection. I shouldn't hold it against the novel, though! I'll get to it at some point. 

Hm, is The Good Daughter not a standalone novel? In any case, I don't think the book's very high on my current priority list. I have a lot of non-fiction stuff I want to get to at the moment. 

Glad to see you're still plowing through Slaughter's novels and enjoying them! :smile2:

My mistake. The Good Daughter "is" a standalone book by Karin Slaughter. It just now became available to me from the library and I will start reading it tonight.

34. Indelible - Karin Slaughter - 8/10

35. Fallen - David Baldacci - 8/10

Edited by muggle not

On 17.7.2018 at 4:35 AM, muggle not said:

My mistake. The Good Daughter "is" a standalone book by Karin Slaughter. It just now became available to me from the library and I will start reading it tonight.

No problem! :)  I will look forward to your thoughts on the book! :smile2: