Muggle Not - 2018 Books Read

muggle not

1. Sleeping Beauties: A Novel – Stephen King - 8/10

2. A Column of Fire (Kingsbridge) – Ken Follett - 9/10

3. The Garden of the Gods (The Corfu Trilogy Book 3) – Gerald Durrell - 9/10

4. Over Sea, Under Stone (The Dark Is Rising Book 1)- Susan Coper - 7.5/10

5. Any Witch Way You Can (Wicked Witches of the Midwest Book 1)- Amanda M. Lee 8/10

6. The Grave's a Fine and Private Place: A Flavia de Luce Novel – Alan Bradley - 8/10

7. Every Witch Way But Wicked (Wicked Witches of the Midwest Book 2) –Amanda M. Lee - 8/10

8. Call for the Dead: A George Smiley Novel (George Smiley Novels Book 1)- John le Carre ....currently reading

Edited by muggle not

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, Athena said:

Wow, by your ratings it seems you've read quite a few enjoyable books this year so far :). I hope you'll find an awesome book to give a 10/10 to, some time this year as well.

LOL, so do I. :)

Hurray, you`ve read the first two Wicked Witches books. :)

How did you feel about the change of tone from Book 1 to Book 2 ? Or maybe it wasn`t as noticeable ( I read books 2-11, plus 10 of the short stories, then went back and read book 1 ; I already had the first book on my Kindle, and wanted to squash in as many Kindle loans as I could, so read the loaners first ). BTW, some of the shorts are excellent, especially the Aunt Tillie Xmas ones . :)

Glad you enjoyed The Garden of the Gods, Muggle :) The trilogy is up there with my favourite books.

Did you get the latest Flavia book from the library? I've just pre-ordered it for the 8th on my kindle. I'd be waiting for ever for it to arrive at our library :rolleyes: 

8/10's good enough for me. I'm such a Flavia fan  :wub:

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, Little Pixie said:

Hurray, you`ve read the first two Wicked Witches books. :)

How did you feel about the change of tone from Book 1 to Book 2 ? Or maybe it wasn`t as noticeable ( I read books 2-11, plus 10 of the short stories, then went back and read book 1 ; I already had the first book on my Kindle, and wanted to squash in as many Kindle loans as I could, so read the loaners first ). BTW, some of the shorts are excellent, especially the Aunt Tillie Xmas ones . :)

May I throw it back to you. :) What change in tone did you notice. Aunt Tillie is more in the picture in book 2 . I am now starting book 3 and maybe I will notice more of a change.

22 hours ago, poppy said:

Glad you enjoyed The Garden of the Gods, Muggle :) The trilogy is up there with my favourite books.

Did you get the latest Flavia book from the library? I've just pre-ordered it for the 8th on my kindle. I'd be waiting for ever for it to arrive at our library :rolleyes: 

8/10's good enough for me. I'm such a Flavia fan  :wub:

I gave it a 8/10 rating but it still wasn't as good as the earlier books, although I did enjoy it.. There is a change coming to the story lines. :) 

I bought the book as I couldn't wait for the library to get it. :)

Were there any other Gerald Durrell books you enjoyed?

Edited by muggle not

• muggle not changed the title to Muggle Not - 2018 Books Read
8 hours ago, muggle not said:

I gave it a 8/10 rating but it still wasn't as good as the earlier books, although I did enjoy it.. There is a change coming to the story lines. :) 

I bought the book as I couldn't wait for the library to get it. :)

Were there any other Gerald Durrell books you enjoyed?

I still think the first of the series was the best :) Received my copy today :jump:  Been very slow in the reading department so hopefully this gives me a kickstart.

I've read all the Gerald Durrell books I could get my hands on. They're all animal centred and even if you're not a fan of anilmal books, they're very entertaining. I can't recommend one specifically as it's a long time since I read them. I've just seen that Margo wrote a book, 'Whatever Happened To Margo' about her life after Corfu. It's available for pre-order on Kindle, gets released March 15.

20 hours ago, muggle not said:

May I throw it back to you. :) What change in tone did you notice. Aunt Tillie is more in the picture in book 2 . I am now starting book 3 and maybe I will notice more of a change.

Hmm, I thought there was more emphasis on the characters being known through their speech and behaviour, than through how they look physically ? The prose felt more assured , like she`d really found her Writing Voice. I think if I read an excerpt from the later books , I could say it`s by Amanda M Lee, whereas for the first book, it felt more generic. :)

Oh, if you`re buying all the books, I saw that Book 10 is down to 99p here. :D

4 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Hmm, I thought there was more emphasis on the characters being known through their speech and behaviour, than through how they look physically ? The prose felt more assured , like she`d really found her Writing Voice. I think if I read an excerpt from the later books , I could say it`s by Amanda M Lee, whereas for the first book, it felt more generic. :)

Oh, if you`re buying all the books, I saw that Book 10 is down to 99p here. :D

Agree, the whole family has certainly become forthcoming in their behavior. I kinda like Thistle but am not enamored of Landon (although I am sure he will turn out ok). I am now reading "Witching You Were Here" and it is hilarious. Book 10 is not on sale here but I bought books 4.5, & 6 as a set for $8.99.

Edited by muggle not

7 minutes ago, muggle not said:

Agree, the whole family has certainly become forthcoming in their behavior. I kinda like Thistle but am not enamored of Landon (although I am sure he will turn out ok). I am now reading "Witching You Were Here" and it is hilarious. Book 10 is not on sale here but I bought books 4.5, & 6 as a set for $8.99.

Ooh, that`s a good deal. Are you planning on reading the Witches fantasy books as well ? I didn`t get round to them, but the later mystery books do refer to events in the fantasy books ( not that it spoiled my enjoyment ). :)

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:30 AM, poppy said:

I still think the first of the series was the best :) Received my copy today :jump:  Been very slow in the reading department so hopefully this gives me a kickstart.

I've read all the Gerald Durrell books I could get my hands on. They're all animal centred and even if you're not a fan of anilmal books, they're very entertaining. I can't recommend one specifically as it's a long time since I read them. I've just seen that Margo wrote a book, 'Whatever Happened To Margo' about her life after Corfu. It's available for pre-order on Kindle, gets released March 15.

The latest "Flavia" book picks up steam towards the latter part of the book. :) I may try reading some more of the Durrell books, will look to see what is available.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:31 PM, Little Pixie said:

Ooh, that`s a good deal. Are you planning on reading the Witches fantasy books as well ? I didn`t get round to them, but the later mystery books do refer to events in the fantasy books ( not that it spoiled my enjoyment ). :)

I still have a lot of Wicked Witches of the Midwest to get through. :) I may take a break from witches once through reading them. I think there are 10 or 11 in the series.

Over the years I have requested the library to buy books that I wanted to read. The library would then send me an email if they bought one of my recommendations....or so I thought. They have a place to show all the books that I have on loan and on hold. What I didn't know until just today was there is a place where they show "all' the books that I have requested, and behold, there are about 5 or 6 that they bought that I was not aware of. I feel like I won the lottery. :)

16 hours ago, muggle not said:

I still have a lot of Wicked Witches of the Midwest to get through. :) I may take a break from witches once through reading them. I think there are 10 or 11 in the series.

Over the years I have requested the library to buy books that I wanted to read. The library would then send me an email if they bought one of my recommendations....or so I thought. They have a place to show all the books that I have on loan and on hold. What I didn't know until just today was there is a place where they show "all' the books that I have requested, and behold, there are about 5 or 6 that they bought that I was not aware of. I feel like I won the lottery. :)

That`s brilliant ! :D

I have such big book piles that books sometimes vanish, and I get a thrill out of discovering a book I didn`t realise I already had. :blush::lol:

11. Cheap shot - Ace Adkins - 7.5/10 - OK read but not near as good as the Robert Parker written books

10. Stone Cold - Robert Parker - 8/10 - Typical good reading like all his books

9. Witching You Were Here - Amanda M. Lee - 8/10 - My favorite so far of the Witches of the Midwest series. Good reading and and hilarious at times. The husbands of the divorced sisters start to come into play and the daughters are unsure of how to accept them. Witchery is really showing its colors. I had to laugh when Aunt Tillie got mad at Thistle and put a curse on her so that none of her clothes would fit.

I am now starting to  read The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett. I can't believe that I haven't read this book but can't find any record of having read it. Hope I don't get half through and realize that I had already read it.

Edited by muggle not

On 12.2.2018 at 2:31 AM, muggle not said:

That's excellent customer service! :) I've requested some books to be bought over the years myself but they don't send e-mails about them over here. I wish they did! 

I hope you have an amazing reading year in 2018, muggle not! :smile2:

7 hours ago, frankie said:

That's excellent customer service! :) I've requested some books to be bought over the years myself but they don't send e-mails about them over here. I wish they did! 

I hope you have an amazing reading year in 2018, muggle not! :smile2:

Thank you frankie. So far my reading year has been pretty good.

I am about 40% into The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett and the book is exceptional. I think it may be one of my favorite Tiffany Aching subject books by Pratchett, at least as far as I am into the book.:)

Our library is very good. They almost always notify me when they order a book that I have requested be bought. The library has really purchased many books that I have requested and I try to be selective in my requests as I realize they can't purchase all that I would like. :)

10 hours ago, muggle not said:

Our library is very good. They almost always notify me when they order a book that I have requested be bought. The library has really purchased many books that I have requested and I try to be selective in my requests as I realize they can't purchase all that I would like. :)

I know what you mean about trying to be selective, I do the very same :)  I try to think if the book I would like is one that others would like to read, too! You have a really great library, I have to say! :)

Last year I downloaded 44 books from the library to my kindle. Much less than previous years (but still quite a few that I didn't have to buy) :). most years I download at least 60+ books from the library. I am grateful for my kindle AND the library. :) It would be pretty expensive otherwise.

12. The Shepherds Crown - Terry Pratchett - 9/10 - This was the last book written by Terry Pratchett before he died.  As it turns out it was one of the most enjoyable of his that I have read. The last book by Pratchett was one of the Tiffany Aching series. I will surely especially miss Tiffany Aching and all the characters in this series.

Edited by muggle not

13. Witching On A Star - Amanda M. Lee - 7.5/10 - this has been my least favorite of the Witches of the Midwest series. Half the book talked about the hanky-panky  between the 3 cousins and their boyfriends and little storyline elsewhere.

Edited by muggle not

Hope you also have a great reading year.

First half of Sleeping Beauties did drag on some but it set-up the second half of book which picked up steam and at some point I started to realize what was happening in the first half. :)

Currently reading The Girl Who Died A Lot by Jasper Fforde. Somehow I previously missed reading this book in the Thursday Next series.

16 hours ago, muggle not said:

First half of Sleeping Beauties did drag on some but it set-up the second half of book which picked up steam and at some point I started to realize what was happening in the first half.

I listened to a bit of this, and gave up - with your comments I might try again.. thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We can also suggest books to our library, but I really try to be selective about it as well. I try to think if many people would enjoy it, or if it's too much niche. Our library doesn't notify us, but then I don't usually request them officially :D A friend of mine works there - I went to London with her in December, talked about a bok there, she said she'd ask her colleague. Sure enough, that same week the book was on the website as being in the process of being ordered!

The book I asked for was A Column of Fire :D And I went ahead and requested the other two books as well, so everyone can read them all :D