Quiet pub for meetings

rothbard

Good afternoon everyone! A London-based book discussion group which I take part in is looking for a pub with a “quiet area” in which to hold our meetings. Ideally it should be in or near central London, and it should be possible to have dinner there, since our meetings take place in the evening. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

We recommend you all join the Book Club Forum and enjoy your discussions from the comfort of your own home!

But seriously, most of us don't live anywhere near London so haven't a clue. Someone might be able to suggest something though. :)

My suggestion would be to forget the idea of using a pub and use each others houses instead - much more civilised and you are guaranteed quiet there. Take it in turns to act as host and cook and just get everyone to chip in with the ingredients. 

I know quite a few pubs in London, but am struggling to think of a suitable one.  Try The World's End in Camden, they have an upstairs area in their back bar that - if you ask them - they might be willing to reserve (I don't know if that is something they do, however).  I don't know that I would call it quiet, either!

• 3 months later...

I would go for a Wetherspoons pub, as their policy is not to have music, and the food is reasonably priced, even in London.  The Afrika House in Holborn is pretty central, or Wetherspoons Victoria at Victoria Station, which is above WH Smith!

I have another specific pub in mind (not Wetherspoons) that is run by some young  Americans, I have ate there with my kids several times , it would completely suit your purposes, I am trying to remember the name! Watch this space.

I've been to that Weatherspoon at Victoria and it can get packed at peak times, so not exactly what I'd call quiet. And if there are a few of you, you might not be able to sit together when it's busy.

Edited by Madeleine