Your Book Activity - February 2018

Athena

1 hour ago, Nollaig said:

Indeed, the characters just felt a bit flat for me. :unsure: Have you read any of the Maeve Kerrigan or Kim Stone series (they're the main characters names, not authors)? I love those, and while a lot of it is I do enjoy the murder mystery element, I adore the characters and that's what keeps me reading.

I have to confess this is the first I've heard of those series! :blush: I've googled the authors and they are British and Irish whereas Deaver is American. I wonder if that comes into the equation? Even if on a subconscious level. I think I'm personally more accustomed to American thrillers. Whatever it is, we all have our preferences that rock our respective boats :) Let's just try and stay out of the water! 

I read a huge chunk of Dumplin' last night in bed. It was the most reading I've done in a month, I'd say! I'm hoping to finish the novel today :smile2: I hope my mojo's coming back!! 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, frankie said:

I have to confess this is the first I've heard of those series! :blush: I've googled the authors and they are British and Irish whereas Deaver is American. I wonder if that comes into the equation? Even if on a subconscious level. I think I'm personally more accustomed to American thrillers. Whatever it is, we all have our preferences that rock our respective boats :) Let's just try and stay out of the water! 

That's an interesting statement :).

When I was a teenager I used to read a lot of American thrillers, but nowadays I read more Dutch (literary) thrillers. Must pick up an American or British thriller or mystery at some point. I also have some Scandinavian ones on my TBR.

I read a huge chunk of Dumplin' last night in bed. It was the most reading I've done in a month, I'd say! I'm hoping to finish the novel today :smile2: I hope my mojo's coming back!! 

Wow, that's so nice :smile2:! I hope you get to finish the novel soon and that your mojo is coming back :hug:.

1 minute ago, Athena said:

That's an interesting statement :).

When I was a teenager I used to read a lot of American thrillers, but nowadays I read more Dutch (literary) thrillers. Must pick up an American or British thriller or mystery at some point. I also have some Scandinavian ones on my TBR.

It definitely does factor into it, I much prefer thrillers set in Britain than anywhere else (including Ireland). Maybe because I grew up with shows like The Bill? :lol: I find American ones harder to get into, same with Scandinavian ones.

1 hour ago, Athena said:

This made me think of a group read challenge... a challenge where everyone were to read an American, a British, and Irish, a Scandinavian, and what have you, thriller. Contrast and compare!  It would be interesting to see if the majority would prefer books from their own cultural/biographical area. Or what other factors would affect their reading. 

1 hour ago, Athena said:

Wow, that's so nice :smile2:! I hope you get to finish the novel soon and that your mojo is coming back :hug:.

It's a pretty refreshing feeling!! I hope it lasts!! :wub:

1 hour ago, Nollaig said:

It definitely does factor into it, I much prefer thrillers set in Britain than anywhere else (including Ireland). Maybe because I grew up with shows like The Bill? :lol: I find American ones harder to get into, same with Scandinavian ones.

I think it's what one's used to. I used to read Finnish thrillers/mysteries, and liked them okay, but because I watch so much American TV it was only a matter of time when I would start reading American thrillers. I've read British ones, too, but for some reason I do tend to go for the Americans. I think the American thrillers have a lot more twists and psychological aspects to them than Finnish thrillers, and I like that. :)

I think I've mainly read Minette Walters but I got tired of them because at a later age I realized that they were rather formulaic in one particular aspect. I have read others, too, but my moldy mind won't give me any names at the moment! 

34 minutes ago, frankie said:

This made me think of a group read challenge... a challenge where everyone were to read an American, a British, and Irish, a Scandinavian, and what have you, thriller. Contrast and compare!  It would be interesting to see if the majority would prefer books from their own cultural/biographical area. Or what other factors would affect their reading. 

That sounds like an interesting challenge. It would definitely be interesting to see how people would get on :).

34 minutes ago, frankie said:

I think it's what one's used to. I used to read Finnish thrillers/mysteries, and liked them okay, but because I watch so much American TV it was only a matter of time when I would start reading American thrillers. I've read British ones, too, but for some reason I do tend to go for the Americans. I think the American thrillers have a lot more twists and psychological aspects to them than Finnish thrillers, and I like that. :)

I think I've mainly read Minette Walters but I got tired of them because at a later age I realized that they were rather formulaic in one particular aspect. I have read others, too, but my moldy mind won't give me any names at the moment! 

You could well be right by saying it depends on what a person is used to and what their tastes are :). Shame about the formulaic-ness. I've only read a short novella-type thing by Minette Walters, so I'm not sure how her novels compare (though I do believe I bought one or two once upon a time!). I haven't read a whole lot of British thrillers, I've read more British mysteries and not a whole lot of those. Back when I was a teenager I read a lot of Robin Cook (US), some John Grisham (US), some Patricia Cornwell (US), and probably some others but I can't remember their names right now (mouldy brain, now that's an.. interesting image :lol:).

I started reading Wayward Children 1: Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire. The book isn't that long (some people have even called it a novella), so maybe I can finish it later today or tomorrow. So far it's interesting :).

32 minutes ago, Athena said:

That sounds like an interesting challenge. It would definitely be interesting to see how people would get on :).

Yes, it would be really interesting, I think! :smile2:  I'm not up for any challenges, though, I have Round Robin on my plate and that will do for the year! :smile2:

You could well be right by saying it depends on what a person is used to and what their tastes are :). Shame about the formulaic-ness. I've only read a short novella-type thing by Minette Walters, so I'm not sure how her novels compare (though I do believe I bought one or two once upon a time!). I haven't read a whole lot of British thrillers, I've read more British mysteries and not a whole lot of those. Back when I was a teenager I read a lot of Robin Cook (US), some John Grisham (US), some Patricia Cornwell (US), and probably some others but I can't remember their names right now

There's also the fact that I get muddled up in the different genres: thrillers, mysteries, detective novels... I don't like to make the distinction between the different types, because I do like them all and I just like to think of them as one genre. I know others would prefer to make the distinction but I'm just not that bothered. Murder and mayhem, that's the stuff! :D

I haven't read Robin Cook or John Grisham. No, wait, I have read a Grisham but it was a Christmas book and it was baaaaaaad :D I liked Patricia Cornwell when I was a teenager, but when I re-read her books a decade later I found them boring! I'd found much better authors by then. (Karin Slaughter, Jeffery Deaver, Jeff Lindsay, Kathy Reichs to name a few.) 

(mouldy brain, now that's an.. interesting image :lol:).

Better not think about it too much before dinner :lol:

3 hours ago, Nollaig said:

Lately, I've given up American mystery and thriller TV series for those of Britain/Australia/Canada/New Zealand. For a very low price I've subscribed to Acorn TV and am glad I did; many shows and movies from Britain and its former empire as well as Scandinavia. 

44 minutes ago, frankie said:

Yes, it would be really interesting, I think! :smile2:  I'm not up for any challenges, though, I have Round Robin on my plate and that will do for the year! :smile2:

Me either, I'm trying to have a relatively pressure-free year of reading, so no challenges for me this year. I hope you enjoy your Round Robin challenge :smile2:!

There's also the fact that I get muddled up in the different genres: thrillers, mysteries, detective novels... I don't like to make the distinction between the different types, because I do like them all and I just like to think of them as one genre. I know others would prefer to make the distinction but I'm just not that bothered. Murder and mayhem, that's the stuff! :D

I'm not entirely sure myself what the difference is between thrillers, mysteries and detective novels! But a lot of those Dutch ones say 'literary thriller' on the cover, so that's how I know about those. For others I try to see what other people on GoodReads say or what the synopsis says. Generally if it's a police investigator / detective working on a case, I call it a 'detective' (or mystery) and if it's someone not related to or experienced in policework but just a civilian being threated and chased or looking into the case, then I call it a 'thriller'. Generally for me in a detective it's more about solving the case but in a thriller it's also about the main character trying to avoid being killed themselves, if that makes sense? But what I do is probably not how other people would do it, I just do my own thing in my own bookshelves and collection (I have separate shelves for detectives and for thrillers). Indeed murder and mayhem :D.

I haven't read Robin Cook or John Grisham. No, wait, I have read a Grisham but it was a Christmas book and it was baaaaaaad :D I liked Patricia Cornwell when I was a teenager, but when I re-read her books a decade later I found them boring! I'd found much better authors by then. (Karin Slaughter, Jeffery Deaver, Jeff Lindsay, Kathy Reichs to name a few.) 

Ohh I bought that Christmas one at a library sale, it has terrible reviews/ratings on GoodReads, one of them might have been yours :D. I haven't read it yet, but I have read a few of his thrillers and enjoyed those when I was a teenager. I was a young teenager with my family on holiday in France (with our big tent), I had read all my own books so I decided to have a look at my parents' books (while I was inside the tent looking for something to do), and there I found De Cliënt by John Grisham (or The Client as the English original is known). The story spoke to me at the time because one of the characters in the book was a child, so I felt like I could relate a bit. I liked Patricia Cornwell when I was a younger teenager but I haven't read any of her books since, so I don't know if they would still appeal to me.

Better not think about it too much before dinner :lol:

True :lol:!

8 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm not entirely sure myself what the difference is between thrillers, mysteries and detective novels! But a lot of those Dutch ones say 'literary thriller' on the cover, so that's how I know about those. For others I try to see what other people on GoodReads say or what the synopsis says. Generally if it's a police investigator / detective working on a case, I call it a 'detective' (or mystery) and if it's someone not related to or experienced in policework but just a civilian being threated and chased or looking into the case, then I call it a 'thriller'. Generally for me in a detective it's more about solving the case but in a thriller it's also about the main character trying to avoid being killed themselves, if that makes sense? But what I do is probably not how other people would do it, I just do my own thing in my own bookshelves and collection (I have separate shelves for detectives and for thrillers). Indeed murder and mayhem :D.

I think your definition sounds good Gaia.  I go by what my library classes them as, since that's where I get most of my books from.  I often don't agree with their genres though.  The fiction books are organised by genre, not by author, so I look in both thrillers and crime (what they library classes as these genres).  I seem to prefer mostly European thrillers/detectives, a lot of British, and getting into Scandinavian writers now.  I used to watch a lot of American crime shows on TV, so for me it's not linked to that.  There don't seem to be as many on TV here now.  As for local writers, there aren't very many that I've seen in NZ, at least not at my library.  I have read a few books in other genres from NZ authors, some I liked and some I didn't.  

8 hours ago, bookmonkey said:

I think your definition sounds good Gaia.  I go by what my library classes them as, since that's where I get most of my books from.  I often don't agree with their genres though.  The fiction books are organised by genre, not by author, so I look in both thrillers and crime (what they library classes as these genres).  I seem to prefer mostly European thrillers/detectives, a lot of British, and getting into Scandinavian writers now.  I used to watch a lot of American crime shows on TV, so for me it's not linked to that.  There don't seem to be as many on TV here now.  As for local writers, there aren't very many that I've seen in NZ, at least not at my library.  I have read a few books in other genres from NZ authors, some I liked and some I didn't.  

My library has those genres together in one place, thrillers/detectives/horror or something like that (at least.. that's what it was last time I was there. They re-organised a few months ago. I must go back to the library some time and see how it is now!). It must be awkward having both thrillers and crime, if you're looking for a specific book (it does make sense to go by what your library classes them as, though!). It's nice to hear (read?) what books you like :).

I'm two-thirds of the way through To the Lighthouse.  It's going to be another 5/5!  That's three 5/5s in a row for Virginia Woolf.  I think that means I like her.

I'll be diving back into my mysteries for March.  Bring on the Poirot!  I've missed the little mustachioed Belgian. 

This week, I've finished reading The Goldfish Boy by Lisa Thompson (one of the Waterstones Children's Book Prize nominations) and   also listening to Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters (one of my Round Robin challenge books).

It was my birthday this month, so I've received some new books as presents and was also lucky to receive some book tokens too, so I've got quite a few new books to add to my TBR shelves now!

19 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

This week, I've finished reading The Goldfish Boy by Lisa Thompson (one of the Waterstones Children's Book Prize nominations) and   also listening to Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters (one of my Round Robin challenge books).

Did you like The Goldfish Boy? It's on my TBR (or, if you plan to write a review, I'm happy to wait until you've done that, if you don't feel like answering this right now).

I'm currently reading Wayward Children 2: Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire. After this I plan to read book 3 in the series, Beneath the Sugar Sky.

On 21.2.2018 at 6:32 PM, Athena said:

Me either, I'm trying to have a relatively pressure-free year of reading, so no challenges for me this year. I hope you enjoy your Round Robin challenge :smile2:!

A pressure-free reading year sounds great, I'm up for that! :D  :readingtwo:

Your categories make sense!  I wonder, as we are talking about it, why are you guys thinking about these categories more than I am? I mean technically. Is it because you have different genres on GR and you like to make the distinctions there, when adding read books? I think you Athena probably like to keep statistics about the genres you read, so it would make sense for  you to think about it more than I do :D  I don't keep those kinds of statistics so I've not really had to think about the whole thing. I'm so bad at genres in any case, unless they are clear-cut stuff. 

Ohh I bought that Christmas one at a library sale, it has terrible reviews/ratings on GoodReads, one of them might have been yours :D. I haven't read it yet, but I have read a few of his thrillers and enjoyed those when I was a teenager. I was a young teenager with my family on holiday in France (with our big tent), I had read all my own books so I decided to have a look at my parents' books (while I was inside the tent looking for something to do), and there I found De Cliënt by John Grisham (or The Client as the English original is known). The story spoke to me at the time because one of the characters in the book was a child, so I felt like I could relate a bit. I liked Patricia Cornwell when I was a younger teenager but I haven't read any of her books since, so I don't know if they would still appeal to me.

Yep, one of the 1/5's is definitely from me :lol: I hope you'll find it more enjoyable!! I don't think anyone in my family has read Grisham so I've never been 'exposed' to him :D  

As for my bookish activity, I finished Dumplin' last night. I finished my second read of the year!! Wohoo! :D

Edited by frankie

2 hours ago, frankie said:

Your categories make sense!  I wonder, as we are talking about it, why are you guys thinking about these categories more than I am? I mean technically. Is it because you have different genres on GR and you like to make the distinctions there, when adding read books? I think you Athena probably like to keep statistics about the genres you read, so it would make sense for  you to think about it more than I do :D  I don't keep those kinds of statistics so I've not really had to think about the whole thing. I'm so bad at genres in any case, unless they are clear-cut stuff. 

Way before I discovered GoodReads (which was in 2012; and thus also before Book Collector (early 2013) and before I catalogued what book I read when (June 2013)) I had a spreadsheet/mini-database on the computer with all the books I owned (this was maybe15ish years ago when I started it for the first time? It could have been less time ago, I'm not entirely sure how old I was.). I started it because I started to own more books and I wanted to make sure I didn't buy double copies. I always listed the genres of the books on the list, because I organise my books by genre (I think? I have very few old pictures of my bookshelves) and have done so for a long time (I listed author, title, genre, and whether I'd read the book yes or no, which is of course now horribly outdated; Later I added my ratings and the amount of pages each book had. I have a version of before I added ratings and pages, with 325 books. Then I added the ratings and the pages, and way more entries over the years as I bought books.).

Hmmm... I just looked and found my old database files (so much nostalgia :wub:). Apparently I had a genre called 'crime' at the time that shows up a few times (my file was in Dutch of course, back then I didn't speak much English other than for English class in school), I had thriller, fantasy, sci-fi (science-fiction), horror, crime (like I mentioned), roman (that means novel in Dutch, some Dutch books have it written on the cover; I didn't distinguish between contemporary fiction and rom-com and historical fiction!), non-fictie (non-fiction, which are memoirs & biographies), informatief (information), literatuur (literature, this would be classics and Dutch newer literary fiction). Ah, and then at a certain point, while scrolling through the database, I find the first mention of 'detective'!; when I bought my first Baantjer book and when I bought 2 books of the No. #1 Ladies' Detective Agency (the database is organised chronologically, so first all the books I owned, then I added books as I bought them). I knew Baantjers were detective novels, that's what I'd always heard. Ah, and I find I called a few books 'Vampire' as a genre, which would now be what I call 'paranormal' or what others might call urban fantasy or supernatural. I also have a genre for kookboeken (cookbooks). A while later in the database is the first and only mention of 'Young-Adult', alongside 'roman' (this is/was a YA contemporary fiction book in English), though I did buy a few other English YA books that do not have 'Young-Adult' written under the genre column. I find a genre called 'manga' which is listed once, when I bought my first manga book.

The database does not mention any children's books from my childhood, nor my Dutch YA books. At the time I was a teenager wanting to grow up and be an adult. When we moved house (I was 14, this was before I started the database), I put all of my children's books and teenage books in boxes. I never unpacked them, so the database almost exclusively contains books for adults (that were on my bookshelves), with that one exception that I somehow bought an English YA book at the book fair (I think that's where I bought it). You remember when I found some of those boxes with my old books in the attic, right? And how ecstatic I was? :). It wasn't until last year that I really found all of the books.

A few of the books in the old database I no longer own, some I didn't like (or even hated) so I gave them away, others I lost interest in and so gave them away to people who were interested in them.

This was such a nice trip of nostalgia, thanks for that :D! I hope I didn't write too long a post :blush:.

Yep, one of the 1/5's is definitely from me :lol: I hope you'll find it more enjoyable!! I don't think anyone in my family has read Grisham so I've never been 'exposed' to him :D  

Thanks! Ah that makes sense! At the time I was happy to read some of the books my parents read too, and they liked thrillers at the time (well, they still do, but they also read other types of books). Did your family read books when you were growing up?

As for my bookish activity, I finished Dumplin' last night. I finished my second read of the year!! Wohoo! :D

Woohoo, well done on finishing it :D! I've yet to read Dumplin'. I saw you gave it a 3/5 on GR. I'm glad it was at least an okay read for you :).

EDIT: I think I started my database when I was 19, so 13 years ago, because book #37 is Wit'ch Fire by James Clemens (Banned and the Banished book 1), and I bought that book because someone I met at university in I think my first year, recommended it to me, so I must have been around 19.

Edited by Athena

I read Podkin One-Ear by Kieran Larwood and Kid Normal by Greg James and Chris Smith to finish off all the books in the Waterstones Children's Book Prize younger fiction category, and I've now started Troublemakers by Catherine Barter to kick off the older fiction category books.  There's six books on the list, and the prize is awarded on 22nd March, so I'd like to have read them all by then.

In other book news from me, I found out my library no longer charges reservation fees, so I'm going to be making more use of them in the future, particularly for hardback books! I picked up my first one today, The Last Wilderness by Neil Ansell, as I think from the reviews I've seen, it might be a strong contender to make the Wainwright Prize long list this year, and if I can get a head start on those books too, that'll make it easier for me to finish all the books between the long list being announced and the winner being revealed.

I've got four books on the go at the moment. My armchair hardback book is The Last Wilderness by Neil Ansell, which I'll be starting today, then on Kindle for when I'm out and about and also my audiobook for in the car is The Ashes of London by Andrew Taylor.  I've actually started two paperbacks - The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher for my book group, and Troublemakers by Catherine Barter from the older fiction category of the Waterstones Children's Book Prize.  It's shaping up to a good reading week with these books! :D 

Read 17% of Lissa Evans' Crooked Heart. Really enjoying this book, so far, as the characters are very quirky, and certainly not lovable either. But the plot is great! :)

9 minutes ago, Marie H said:

Read 17% of Lissa Evans' Crooked Heart. Really enjoying this book, so far, as the characters are very quirky, and certainly not lovable either. But the plot is great! :)

I’ve got that book on my TBR shelf, so I’m pleased to hear you’re enjoying it. I’ve only read one of her children’s books so far, but she’s been on my favourite book podcast a few times and I saw her at a Q&A for a British film about women in the Second World War, that was an influence for her book, Their Finest Hour and a Half which itself was then adapted into a film, so I want to read her novels too.

On 2/4/2018 at 9:05 AM, Kylie said:

I'm finally back to making some good progress with Stephen King's IT. Only a couple of hundred pages to go!

It's such a big book! Hopefully you are enjoying it?

On 2/5/2018 at 11:12 PM, Litwitlou said:

After giving up on Margaret Atwood's Life Before Man, I found another of her books, The Blind Assassin in the car. I started reading it and I think it's great. Cannot figure her out.

I don't think I have read Life Before Man, but I really enjoyed The Blind Assassin. Have you read Alias Grace? That is another Atwood that I have enjoyed.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:49 AM, frankie said:

I'm re-reading Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi with Curt Gentry. It's good but it's such a slow read! It's going to take me ages. 

I re-read this a couple of years ago. Such a good book, and he covers all aspects of the crime.

On 2/7/2018 at 3:13 PM, frankie said:

I will be shelving about 30 or so books today, I've kept them in a cardboard box or two for a few months. Poor books! They are books I've bought in the past 3-4 months. 

I'm doing the opposite. :lol: I'm boxing my books up, and it's taking forever.

I'm now reading The Alienist by Caleb Carr. I only started it this afternoon, and it's good so far but written in an old-fashioned style that I know will take me a while to get into the flow of. Before that, I finished Ablutions by Patrick DeWitt. Still can't make up my mind about that one. I definitely didn't like it as much as The Sisters Brothers:mellow:

I am reading The Woman In The Window, which took 33% to become an actual thriller but it is indeed now one. Really enjoying it. Also still working through No One Gets Out Alive by Adam Nevill. I don't know why I do this to myself. I know his books are going to be long and overwritten and badly paced, but there's some really good writing and fun story too. :roll: 

10 hours ago, Nollaig said:

Also still working through No One Gets Out Alive by Adam Nevill. I don't know why I do this to myself. I know his books are going to be long and overwritten and badly paced, but there's some really good writing and fun story too. :roll: 

I remember struggling with this one, and I don't think I finished it. It's the first and last book by Adam Nevill that I will read. :lol: