Your Book Activity - February 2018

Athena

After reading some free short stories online the past few days, I'm now going back to paperbooks. It's the February read-a-thon this weekend, and I've selected some short(er) reads. I don't know yet which one I'll start with, though, it'll depend on my mood. I've got other things to do first before I can sit down, relax, and read. I might also order some books later today or in one of the next few days.

What is your book activity today?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished Battle of the Beetles.  Fabulous trilogy, exciting story, plenty of humour and peril, and incredibly informative about beetles! Not sure which paperback will be my next, but going back to my hardback for a bit this afternoon, and reading some more poetry from You Took The Last Bus Home.

Enjoying a quiet afternoon in front of the fire, and I've also finished You Took The Last Bus Home too.  Decided my next paperback will be Twenty-Four Hours in the Life of a Woman by Stefan Zweig (a novella of just 92 pages, so a nice little filler) and my hardback will be my next Round Robin challenge book, The Year of Reading Dangerously by Andy Miller (from my favourite podcast Backlisted).  It's going to be a good weekend! :D 

13 hours ago, bookmonkey said:

Finished Russka by Edward Rutherfurd.  Also finished this week Always Watching by Chevy Stevens.  

Was Russka good? I haven't read it but somehow came across it whilst browsing Amazon the other day.

With money left on my book token, I couldn't resist a wander around the bookshops this morning and have come home with

• Things A Bright Girl Can Do by Sally Nicholls (paperback)
  • Make More Noise, collection of stories by writers including Sally Nicholls, M. G. Leonard, Emma Carroll and Katherine Woodfine (paperback).
  • A Shadow Above: The Fall and Rise of the Raven by Joe Shute (hardback)
  • Field Notes from a Hidden City by Esther Woolfson (paperback)

The first two are YA/middle grade, and both are linked to the 100th anniversary of women's suffrage, and they were buy one get one half price in Waterstones.  The second two are both nature books, the first I hadn't heard of before, but I'm fascinated by ravens and other corvids, and it had a recommendation on the back by John Lewis-Stempel, so I couldn't resist. The other is one I've challenged @willoyd to read for the Round Robin challenge, so I decided to read it myself too. :D 

I've had a good day of reading today - I read a chapter of The Essex Serpent this morning, then this afternoon I've read Twenty-Four Hours in the Life of a Woman and also read another 50 pages of The Year of Reading Dangerously.  My next paperback read will be Wed Rabbit by Lissa Evans. :) 

11 hours ago, Athena said:

Was Russka good? I haven't read it but somehow came across it whilst browsing Amazon the other day.

It was.  I was a bit disappointed about the coverage of the 20th century though.  I've also read Paris and New York.  So far New York is my favourite.

I got off to a good reading start in January and I'm several books ahead of my (very small) Goodreads goal, so I've taken the opportunity to pick up a couple of books I've had 'on the go' for a couple of years. I've read another chapter or two of The Noonday Demon by Andrew Solomon, and I'm finally back to making some good progress with Stephen King's IT. Only a couple of hundred pages to go!

15 hours ago, bookmonkey said:

It was.  I was a bit disappointed about the coverage of the 20th century though.  I've also read Paris and New York.  So far New York is my favourite.

I'm glad it was good, nice to hear which one is your favourite :).

13 hours ago, chaliepud said:

Finished Still Me by Jojo Moyes (loved it) and now starting The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris. 

I'm glad you enjoyed Still Me! I'll probably pick it up once it's out in paperback.

2 hours ago, Kylie said:

I got off to a good reading start in January and I'm several books ahead of my (very small) Goodreads goal, so I've taken the opportunity to pick up a couple of books I've had 'on the go' for a couple of years. I've read another chapter or two of The Noonday Demon by Andrew Solomon, and I'm finally back to making some good progress with Stephen King's IT. Only a couple of hundred pages to go!

Good luck with IT! It is such a massive book, but very good (in my opinion).

I've had another good day of reading, finishing Wed Rabbit by Lissa Evans, a hundred pages of The Year of Reading Dangerously by Andy Miller and another chapter of The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry.

My next paperback will be Corduroy by Adrian Bell (my Christmas present from Janet :smile2:)

After giving up on Margaret Atwood's Life Before Man, I found another of her books, The Blind Assassin in the car. I started reading it and I think it's great. Cannot figure her out.

I'm still reading the Atomic Accidents book. The author makes it as reader friendly as he can but he's describing the discovery and first uses of radioactive material. He describes an incident in which young women painted radium on the hands and numbers of watches so they'd glow in the dark.  They glowed great but the work was so detailed the women had to spin the brush between their lips twice per watch. First their gums bled. Then their teeth fell out. Then things got really bad.  I remember watching a documentary about these women and that factory years ago.

Progress on Mrs Dalloway has slowed down while I steam through Violet to Vita -- which is 300 pages of tightly-coiled hysteria!  What a huge mess those two (Violet Trefusis and Vita Sackville-West) put themselves in.  It's made me want to read some of Violet's novels now, though.

18 hours ago, Litwitlou said:

After giving up on Margaret Atwood's Life Before Man, I found another of her books, The Blind Assassin in the car. I started reading it and I think it's great. Cannot figure her out.

I would put that in my top ten favorite books.  Glad you are enjoying it.

I'm still to finish Fool's Quest even though I'm really enjoying it, but I also started Song of Susannah by Stephen King the other day, mainly in an effort to increase my reading capacity by reading it on the kindle at work during lunchtimes.

I've got a sort of deadline to finish the Robin Hobb books by mid March as my husband is going up north to visit his best mate who's just had a baby and will also see his other friend who lent me these books last year, so it'd be nice to be able to hand them back all finished. At my current speed, it won't happen, so I need to channel my past reading self and reserve some full evening reading sessions, or something like that. :D  

On 03/02/2018 at 7:54 PM, bookmonkey said:

New York was excellent, I thought! I didn’t like Paris so much, but I have Sarum on my TBR which comes highly recommended. I keep looking at the others too... 

Had an ok January and start of February of reading. I’m now a few days into Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe. It comes in at 650 pages so I might be a while :D 

10 hours ago, More reading time required said:

I'm still to finish Fool's Quest even though I'm really enjoying it, but I also started Song of Susannah by Stephen King the other day, mainly in an effort to increase my reading capacity by reading it on the kindle at work during lunchtimes.

I've got a sort of deadline to finish the Robin Hobb books by mid March as my husband is going up north to visit his best mate who's just had a baby and will also see his other friend who lent me these books last year, so it'd be nice to be able to hand them back all finished. At my current speed, it won't happen, so I need to channel my past reading self and reserve some full evening reading sessions, or something like that. :D  

Good luck :D!!

After the read-a-thon last weekend I haven't found myself in the mood to read anymore. I have to start a new book, will probably look at my shelves later and see what I feel like reading / what grabs me. It's okay to go a day or two without reading too, anyway :). Sometimes it's nice to take a bit of a break.

I finished The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas and it was really great. A book about the reality of the Black Lives Matter movement, written accessibly for white folks. I'm a lower middle class white girl in a very safe city in an insignificant country, and it really got through to me what the reality is like for a lot of folks of colour.

Now reading A Horse Walks Into a Bar by David Grossman. Not sure what I think yet, it's a bit outside my comfort zone but that's what I'm trying to do this year!