What's Up in February? - 2018

Athena

Wow, I can hardly believe it's February already! Time for a new topic.

Last night's moon was pretty. Two days until the weekend. It's the February read-a-thon this weekend, so I'm hoping to get some reading done.

How is everyone doing?

Great! Got my results for my Digital Media cert and got a 78.5 grade average (the highest 'honor' awarded at third level in Ireland is a First Class Honours, which is 70% and above, so basically 70% is the target number when studying at third level). I got 71, 72, 76, 78, 79 and weirdly a 95 across my six modules. Yay!!!

Congrats @Nollaig

This might sound very sophisticated and pretentious but I spend most of the weekdays in my city flat, then weekends in a country cottage. It's not as it might seem though, just my life. Anyway I'll be going to the country a day early this week as a load of logs for the open fire is being delivered and lucky me is going to have to put them all in the log shed!

Life's never what it seems :)

On 01/02/2018 at 10:09 AM, Nollaig said:

Great! Got my results for my Digital Media cert and got a 78.5 grade average (the highest 'honor' awarded at third level in Ireland is a First Class Honours, which is 70% and above, so basically 70% is the target number when studying at third level). I got 71, 72, 76, 78, 79 and weirdly a 95 across my six modules. Yay!!!

Wow, that's fantastic! Congratulations! 

On 01/02/2018 at 2:11 PM, Trevor said:

This might sound very sophisticated and pretentious but I spend most of the weekdays in my city flat, then weekends in a country cottage. It's not as it might seem though, just my life. Anyway I'll be going to the country a day early this week as a load of logs for the open fire is being delivered and lucky me is going to have to put them all in the log shed!

Life's never what it seems :)

If I had a country cottage with an open fire, I don't think anyone would be able to drag me back to the city! At least after a day of moving logs you can curl up in front of the fire with a good book :)

I have a lot of different things to get done this month work-wise so I'm trying to stay organised with those but I also might have a weekend camping trip before the end of the month, which would be nice :) 

Congrats Noll - and no need to apologise Trevor. It doesn't sound pretentious at all, in fact it sounds lovely.

Coran and I are having a quiet day today just pottering around at home reading and watching TV. Coran bought a keyboard over the Christmas period as she used to play piano as a child and has always wanted to go back to it. She has her first piano lesson tomorrow. I have free tickets for the Destinations Travel Show at Olympia (in London) so am going up there for the day to have a mooch around and gather information on various places I am interested in for the future and sample (hopefully) lots of delicious foods from around the world. 

Talking of travel I also booked my Granada card today - I am off to Spain in 3 weeks time. The card includes entry to the Alhambra (among other things) which is notoriously difficult to get tickets for. They usually sell out months in advance, but they always keep slots available for card holders, so this was the best way for me to get my chosen time and date. I shall be visiting the Alhambra then on 26th, which I am really looking forward to.  

On 2/1/2018 at 3:11 PM, Trevor said:

That sounds really nice!

On 2/3/2018 at 10:08 AM, Brian. said:

No work for me until Thursday when I am on a course. I need to go for a run later and it's cold and wet so I will no doubt get covered in mud :D

I hope you enjoy your time off work :).

18 hours ago, Hayley said:

I have a lot of different things to get done this month work-wise so I'm trying to stay organised with those but I also might have a weekend camping trip before the end of the month, which would be nice :) 

Good luck with work! I hope you get to go on the camping trip :).

16 hours ago, Talisman said:

Talking of travel I also booked my Granada card today - I am off to Spain in 3 weeks time. The card includes entry to the Alhambra (among other things) which is notoriously difficult to get tickets for. They usually sell out months in advance, but they always keep slots available for card holders, so this was the best way for me to get my chosen time and date. I shall be visiting the Alhambra then on 26th, which I am really looking forward to.  

I wish you a lot of fun in Spain :)!

I just had a nice talk on the phone with my sister :). She moved recently and so far is enjoying her new house.

The CEO of the charity I work for left in September for personal reasons and the candidate they appointed in her place was unable to start for reasons we plebs (I mean staff) were not told about. Another member of the Senior Management Team has been acting in the role for the past few months, but for personal reasons of his own decided not to continue with his own application. Today then was the day when the 3 prospective candidates - all very talented and different women had a whole day where they met different parties involved with the charity - the Board of Trustees, the Senior Management team and representatives from the staff, clients and their families. As employee forum rep for my team that meant me. While I liked the first candidate, who had a background in environmental health (very useful for my department) the second one too had great credentials, having worked in social care most of her life. I knew pretty much instantly though that the third and final one was the right one for us. The others in my group seemed to share that view, although of course SMT and the board might not. They have the final round of interviews on Friday I believe at which point no doubt the final decision will be made ...   

Good luck Talisman, I hope they will pick the one you are happy with :).

I have a phone appointment today with my psychiatrist, so will be spending the afternoon not far from the phone. It'll be the weekend in two days, we're having dinner with my parents on Saturday so I look forward to that.

I ma looking forward to the weekend too. I have worked hard this week. We will back to three of us again on Monday though. :)

I hope your appointment went okay. I expect we will have a decision re the new CEO on Monday. We need some stability after the last year.  

It was a bit of a mixed weekend for me. Neither Coran or myself have been feeling great lately - while I know what my problem is with Coran it is less obvious and she is having various heart and blood tests to try and find out what is going on. On Friday she reported a problem with her left shoulder and by Saturday there were pains in the arm and chest - so off to hospital we went. After various tests came back clear we were told it was due to tendonitis and they advised her to rest and take pain killers. We had been planning to go shopping to Guildford that day and have a nice Valentines lunch, but obviously that went out of the window. It wasn't a great day for either of us if I am honest.

Sunday was better though as we made it into Guildford and had our lunch. Instead of going to our favourite vegetarian restaurant (which is closed on Sundays) we went to Pizza Express instead. I think both of us are feeling a bit sorry for ourselves at the moment and need a bit of tlc. At least I have all my staff back though as of this morning - and I have a trip to Spain to look forward to in 2 weeks time. It could be worse. :rolleyes:

It's always good to catch up with friends and family, and by the sound of it your sister is both.

I had a better day today and seem to have a lot more energy - I just hope it doesn't mean another sleepless night as that often follows days like this.

I am going to have a lazy afternoon tomorrow at least. They asked me to go and clean the shop that we have in the village where the clients learn retail skills and make and sell different textile products. The original plan was for me to go down there early one morning on my way into work and get it done before the shop opens at around 9.30, but today I learnt that as there is no one to run the shop it will be closed all day tomorrow, so I am going to go down there after lunch instead and go straight home from there, which is much better. It means I can have a nice afternoon offsite away from all the politics for a while and listen to my favourite LBC radio while I work. There is a rather nice coffee shop next door as well that does takeaway coffees. :) 

Of course they didn't bother to tell me that the shop would be closed - I found out by chance when one of the other staff happened to mention that an email had come round informing people not to take the clients down there that day. I made a big show then of phoning the shop to say how surprised I was that they didn't let me know given how they had asked me to clean it, and checking which day it was closed as my colleague hadn't told me the actual day. Hopefully it had the desired effect. As much as I like working here there are far too many staff who don't think about how others do their jobs. Because they work 9-5 or thereabouts they assume that we do too, even though it must be obvious to them that we don't. I mean how do they think their work areas are clean each morning when they arrive for work! That would be because I and the rest of my team start work early to get it done - why then would we finish at the same time as them when we start an hour and a half earlier? :angry:     

10 hours ago, Talisman said:

It's always good to catch up with friends and family, and by the sound of it your sister is both.

That's true, I consider my sister a friend :).

10 hours ago, Talisman said:

I am going to have a lazy afternoon tomorrow at least. They asked me to go and clean the shop that we have in the village where the clients learn retail skills and make and sell different textile products. The original plan was for me to go down there early one morning on my way into work and get it done before the shop opens at around 9.30, but today I learnt that as there is no one to run the shop it will be closed all day tomorrow, so I am going to go down there after lunch instead and go straight home from there, which is much better. It means I can have a nice afternoon offsite away from all the politics for a while and listen to my favourite LBC radio while I work. There is a rather nice coffee shop next door as well that does takeaway coffees. :) 

Of course they didn't bother to tell me that the shop would be closed - I found out by chance when one of the other staff happened to mention that an email had come round informing people not to take the clients down there that day. I made a big show then of phoning the shop to say how surprised I was that they didn't let me know given how they had asked me to clean it, and checking which day it was closed as my colleague hadn't told me the actual day. Hopefully it had the desired effect. As much as I like working here there are far too many staff who don't think about how others do their jobs. Because they work 9-5 or thereabouts they assume that we do too, even though it must be obvious to them that we don't. I mean how do they think their work areas are clean each morning when they arrive for work! That would be because I and the rest of my team start work early to get it done - why then would we finish at the same time as them when we start an hour and a half earlier? :angry:     

I hope you have a nice afternoon today :). Shame there wasn't proper communication about when the shop would be closed, that's not very nice.

11 hours ago, Athena said:

That's true, I consider my sister a friend :).

I hope you have a nice afternoon today :). Shame there wasn't proper communication about when the shop would be closed, that's not very nice.

Its par for the course. Our needs are rarely considered I have found. We just don't seem to even be on most peoples radars, as they are too wrapped up in their own jobs. I suppose what makes us different is the fact that because we have to continually go into other departments to do our work we are forced to also consider them. It was a nice afternoon though. I got there at about 1pm so I could have my lunch down there as well and get some reading time. :readingtwo:

Had a lovely day so far today.  Out for breakfast and then bought myself a new jumper, and back home in time to see the final of the skeleton at the Winter Olympics.  Just finished reading a book, and sorted out a couple of new audiobooks with my credits.  Staying in this evening and will probably watch a film, but not sure which one it'll be.

Got a couple of days off work and typically, it's pouring.  Not that I had much planned but still...

Had a heron in the garden this morning, it was perched on top of our tall leylandii and seemed to be scouting the area, it's certainly a good viewing point.  Then a couple of crows started swooping on it, and it flew off.

Hey y'all! 

Had a nice weekend. Watched the grands Saturday to Sunday after I walked around the downtown open market, library and did a little shopping. Sunday was a pampering day. Did my hair, nails and facial. Then I did a quick clean of the house, guy the grands dressed and took then home. I then bought tickets to see Black Panther (ended up buying them online cause the lines were ridicuous. Got home and ordered some seafood. Hubby and I went to pick it up and ate it at the mall. Then it was time to go to the 1600 showing. Had an AMAZING time!!!  Then it was 🏠 to relax. Today we're getting our teeth cleaned then as little grocery shopping and back home. I'm taking my granddaughters to my mom's house tomorrow after I go to an MLS class. The class is for using the key lock for homes that we are showing. 

Nothing to hectic, just busy enough! 

21 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Got a couple of days off work and typically, it's pouring.  Not that I had much planned but still...

Had a heron in the garden this morning, it was perched on top of our tall leylandii and seemed to be scouting the area, it's certainly a good viewing point.  Then a couple of crows started swooping on it, and it flew off.

I hope you enjoy your time off work despite the weather not being very nice. It's nice you had a heron in the garden :). I sometimes see one nearby here, when I go for a dog with my dogs.

18 hours ago, Virginia said:

Had a nice weekend. Watched the grands Saturday to Sunday after I walked around the downtown open market, library and did a little shopping. Sunday was a pampering day. Did my hair, nails and facial. Then I did a quick clean of the house, guy the grands dressed and took then home. I then bought tickets to see Black Panther (ended up buying them online cause the lines were ridicuous. Got home and ordered some seafood. Hubby and I went to pick it up and ate it at the mall. Then it was time to go to the 1600 showing. Had an AMAZING time!!!  Then it was 🏠 to relax. Today we're getting our teeth cleaned then as little grocery shopping and back home. I'm taking my granddaughters to my mom's house tomorrow after I go to an MLS class. The class is for using the key lock for homes that we are showing.

I'm glad you had a good time seeing the film :). Good luck with the class!

I was feeling really bad on Sunday, but gladly since yesterday am feeling a lot better. I don't know if it was a virus or what was going on. But I'm really glad I'm feeling a lot better.

I am looking forward to going to Spain at the weekend and seeing the Alhambra and all the Spanish GOT sites. The timing isn't brilliant mind you as poor Coran is not well at all at the moment. She has tennis elbow and so hasn't had a good nights sleep for almost a week, poor thing because of the pain. On top of that she also has a bad cold, and what seems like an ear infection. I feel a bit guilty leaving her on her own to be honest, but the trip was organised several months ago and neither of knew all this was going to happen. Hopefully the cold at least will be better by the weekend.