Historical Fiction

Kell

One of my most favorite historical fiction works is Matthew Pearl's 'The Dante Club.' I had the opportunity to visit Longfellow's home and many of the locations in Cambridge that were mentioned in this book. It was so wonderful to be able to see what I had read about. Even without that added experience though, I loved Matthew Pearl's writing and I would highly recommend this one.

Publisher's Synopsis:

In 1865 Boston, the literary geniuses of the Dante Club

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My First post: I'm reading Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser. It's certainly not pc but it's very, very good and Flashman is such a great character, I love him even though he's a wrong 'un. It makes me laugh. I shall certainly read the next one - Royal Flash.

Did you know...... Jean Plaidy, Philippa Carr, Victoria Holt plus more are pseudonyms of Eleanor Hibbert? She was a very prolific author!!

Grammyva

I've read a couple of Victoria Holt books - they are really really good.

Bernard Cornwell's first three Sharpe books are near the top of my TBR pile and I've just discovered that there are over 20 more - good job I enjoy a good marathon!

I'm going to be taking these on soon too.

Trying to accumulate most of them first, without buying any new copies. Charity shops and BookMooch for the win.

I've just mooched Sharpe's Tiger, so I suppose I can set off as soon as it arrives.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here read a historical fiction book by the name of Mara? It's wonderful one of my favorites ....And if you have read it you tell me the name of the author? I seemed to have misplaced it.haha! that's ironic for someone who says its her favorite.yeah anyway thanks. and if you can remember the authors name read it! Its sooo goood.

• 2 weeks later...
I have just read My Lady Judge by Cora Harrison and the main character is called Mara

That's my friend Tamara's nickname:mrgreen:

At the moment I'm reading The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory- I love it so far!:welcome2:

• 4 months later...

As a history graduate I'm intrigued to historical fiction if a little sceptical! On another book site someone recommended Jean Plaidy and Naomi Hutchinson - what's the verdict from you experts? Are they genuinely worth reading or am I going to get annoyed at historical inaccuracies (I'm not that much of a history geek though!).

Edited by Michelle
link removed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I searched the forum for a mention of Linda Lay Shuler and I was quite surprised to see that no one's ever mentioned her on here. I've been wanting to reread her novel She Who Remembers for a while now and I thought I'd offer you a synopsis of the novel, courtesy of amazon.com:

Set in the American Southwest during the 13th century, Shuler's absorbing first novel portrays Kwani, an intrepid young Pueblo Indian of the Anasazi tribe whose fortitude is severely tested. The daughter of a Viking invader, Kwani is exiled from her clan because her blue eyes mark her as a witch. She is found by Kokopelli, a charismatic Toltec nobleman renowned as a magician, teacher and healer. Dazzled by his mystique, Kwani willingly accompanies Kokopelli to the Eagle Clan's encampment, where he makes her his mate, later leaving her with the tribe during his arduous winter travels. Kwani assumes the honorary title of She Who Remembers, keeper of tribal secrets and spiritual powers. Once again, however, she is accused of being a witch and is driven away just as Kokopelli returns. Together, they set off on a hazardous trek, in which they encounter other men who desire Kwani and her mystic powers. The plot sometimes moves slowly, and, aside from Kwani, the characterizations are superficial. Nevertheless, Shuler's exhaustive research lends authenticity to her vivid, fascinating descriptions of Indian society and culture.

It's been more than 10 years since I read the book and I have to say that I've forgotten most of the plot but I have to say the atmosphere of the novel still haunts me. I'm normally not that big on historical novels that are set so way back in the past, before "modern civilization", but this novel was really gripping. I don't even know how to explain it. It was so primitive, so passionate.

Has anyone read the book so they could explain its brilliance the way it deserves to be explained? :friends0:

Unbelievable, there's no mention of Jean M. Untinen-Auel's books on here either! I've not read them myself but I know many people have enjoyed her novels just as much as I have Linda Lay Shuler's. These two writers are usually always mentioned together and compared against each other. So Chrissy you might want to try Untinen-Auel's novels as well. There are five novels to her series, starting with The cClan of the Cave Bear.

I'm about half way through Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follet) and Sarum (Edward Rutherfurd) They are both excellent historical fiction writers. The only problem is that I have to put them down from time to time. In the time it takes to read through their books, I could have read at lest TWO!:welcome2:

I've also hoarded a few Phillipa Greggory books. Bernard Cornwall sound right up my alley also.

Have any of you read Alison Weir?

Have any of you read Alison Weir?

I have 'Elizabeth The Queen' by Alison Weir sitting on one of my book shelves, but I don't recall reading it! :welcome2:

So either I did read it in amidst a flurry of other reading and it's impact got lost in the mix, or I read it and it had very little impact, or I haven't read it! :)

How about you Katrina? Have you read any books by her?

How about you Katrina? Have you read any books by her?

I just came across some of her books while at work yesterday. The covers are all very rich and decadent looking and I do believe that I WILL be reading her book. Its funny how her work seems to be split down the middle between historical fiction and biographies. They all seem like they should be shelved together.

Has anyone read any Tracy Chevalier?

I've enjoyed all of her novels, and am really looking forward to Remarkable Creatures coming out in paperback- it's about Mary Anning the woman who was the first to discover many dinosaur fossils. I think she found the first when she was just twelve. All of Tracy's books have interesting historical backdrops, but I find this one in particular, very appealing.

I love Tracy Chevalier, Mexicola :exc:. Do you have a favorite of hers? Mine would definitely be 'The Lady in the Unicorn' followed very closely by 'Girl with a Pearl Earring.' I had a bit of a disappointment for some reason with 'Burning Bright' but am still looking forward to her new one that you mentioned :tong:.

My favourite is the Lady and the Unicorn too (ooh, I fancy re-reading that now) :tong: and I agree Burning Bright is not quite as good as the others. The Virgin Blue as well, I didn't get on with quite so well (it being rather different to her other novels), but it was still pretty enjoyable!