Historical Fiction

Kell

What makes a good historical fiction novel? One that has been well researched and is realistic.

Is there any particular era you tend to avoid or choose above others? I haven't ventured much outside of Tudor/Elizabethan as it one of my passions. I do enjoy Egyptian history and I've enjoyed reading about the 17th century slavery.

Which aspect of Historical Fiction interests you most? Or do you find it dry & boring? I find nothing about history dry and boring. I enjoy comparing certain eras to today, especially language, fashion, architecture. I find it fascinating to see how certain things influenced our lives today.

Would you rather read novelisations of actual historical events with actual historical figures, or do you prefer fictional characters within a specific historical setting? Both. I think though, depending on how far back in history you are looking at, by putting it into fiction with good research, you can get a better understanding of what it was like to live in those times. Artifacts can tell you alot but it's nice to read through a persons eyes even if they are fictitional.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Browsing on Amazon I saw a few other books that look pretty good, they're historical fiction books.

Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir

The Alchemist's Daughter by Katharine McMahon

The Observations by Jane Harris

Have reserved them all in my library :wink:

• 3 months later...

I just realised I never answered my own questions – I might have taken my time about it, but here goes:

What makes a good historical fiction novel?

Good research done on the era, area and culture of the people involved; realistic characters with whom I can readily identify; a rich, engaging plot with plenty of action and interaction. I also really enjoy novelisations of actual historical events, wherever they’re set.

Is there any particular era you tend to avoid or choose above others?

I’ve not actively avoided any, but I’m especially drawn to both the Tudor period and the Roman invasion of Britain, so I’m more likely to choose novels with those eras at the heart. I have been sent several historical fictions aimed at older children and young adults over the past few months set in various different eras, from medieval Northumbria, to Victorian London, to France during the Revolution – I’ve enjoyed them all immensely. I’m currently reading Empress Orchid which is set in 19th Century China – it’s intriguing to see just how much difference there is between different cultures throughout history.

Which aspect of Historical Fiction interests you most? Or do you find it dry & boring?

The people are the main focus for me, I think. I love being able to see the world around them through their eyes and experience events as they unfold – there’s nothing dry and dusty about that – on the contrary, it’s more often exciting, thrilling and incredibly interesting.

Would you rather read novelisations of actual historical events with actual historical figures, or do you prefer fictional characters within a specific historical setting?

I like both. I think that reading a novelisation of actual events brings the period alive for me more than it would if I simply read a textbook (for example, The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory). I also enjoy reading about fictional characters who just happen to become embroiled in historical events (such as in the Eagles series by Simon Scarrow).

I haven't read many historical books, as I read mostly modern-time books. However, I have read a few...

Michelle Paver is a good writer for this type of novel. Caroline Lawrence is superb when she does about the Romans (The Roman Mysteries Series).

The Tudor times interest me the most, although I like Roman-time books. The Bronze Age seemed interesting.

My current book, Spirit Walker, is set in the Bronze Age! I like it very much: I think it's better, even, than Why the Whales Came, which is set in the First World War. Both are cleverly written and totally enchancing. :read:

I also enjoyed The Wife Who Lost Her Head, which is about Anne Boleyn. You won't find it on my list, as it was last year I read it. This is the type you'd read for a light read, though. :read:

The Roman Mysteries are obviously set in the Roman times. This series is rather descriptive: rather than seeing modern in your head, it feels like going back in time in your head... superb!

I remember reading a book called The Boy With the Bronze Axe by Katheen Fiddler years ago at school, Tiger. It's set at Skara Brae on Orkney at the end of the Stone Age. This is info about it from Amazon:

Kathleen Fidler's classic story is set in the ancient Stone Age village of Skara Brae on Orkney, now a major tourist attraction. This is a fascinating and vividly portrayed story of life nearly 3,000 years ago. Kali and Brockan are in trouble. They have been using their stone axes to chip limpets off the rocks, but they've gone too far out and find themselves trapped by the tides. Then, an unexpected rescuer appears, a strange boy in a strange boat, carrying a strangely sharp axe of a type they have never seen before. Conflict arises as the village of Skara must decide what to do with the new ideas and practices that the boy brings. As a deadly storm threatens, the very survival of the village is in doubt. The daily life, landscape and rituals of Skara have been meticulously researched, and are brought to life in striking, compelling detail.

I think it might be right up your street, Tiger - I remember really enjoying it a lot. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to recommend Sharon Penman. She has written a series of superb novels around the medieval period of the 12th and 13th centuries. She brings to life the real historical characters like Eleanor of Aquitaine, Simon De Montford and Llewellyn the Great and their conflicts and relationships with the English Kings from the period. The books read so easily like any other novels but are based on real events and characters from the time. As a taster I recommend her shorter novel The Queens Man but the real quality that she has written are books like The Sunne in Splendour, Here Be Dragons and When Christ and His Saints Slept.

• 7 months later...

I love historical books, they are probably my favourite.

I especially like Jean Auel's Earths Children series set in the Ice Age, Nancy Mckenzie set in Medieval Times and Barbara Erskine who has mainly set her books in the Roman era but also a lot further back in time.

I find it really interesting to read how people used to live....

If you like Arthurian fiction then I'd recommend Jack Whyte's series (known as "A Dream of Eagles" in Canada, and "The Camulod Chronicles" elsewhere) consisting of:

1. The Skystone

2. The Singing Sword

3. The Eagles' Brood

4. The Saxon Shore

5. The Sorcerer: The Fort at River's Bend (aka. The Fort at River's Bend)

6. The Sorcerer: Metamorphosis (aka. The Sorcerer)

There's also a parallel and companion volume called "Uther" which takes place during the same time period as "The Eagles' Brood" but tells it from a different perspective. The series is narrative, and "Uther" is told in the third person. There were things that the narrative character in "The Eagles' Brood" wasn't privy to, that are cleared up in "Uther".

The Sorcerer: Metamorphosis culminates in the crowning of Arthur as High King of Britannia.

There's also a follow-up miniseries called "The Golden Eagle". It consists of:

1. Clothar the Frank (aka. The Lance Thrower)

2. The Eagle

This series is narrated by the Lancelot equivalent, and tells of the life of Arthur as King.

Jack has started a trilogy about the Templar Knights now. The first book in the trilogy, "Knights of the Black and White", was published last year, and the second book is due out this summer.

But in my opinion, "A Dream of Eagles" is his best work, and one of THE best Arthurian series ever written.

Be forewarned though, "A Dream of Eagles" isn't true Arthurian fiction. The Skystone opens on the life of one of Arthur's great-grandfathers, before he's even met up with the woman he will eventually marry and co-produce one of Arthur's grandmothers.

By the time you get to "The Eagles' Brood", you're reading about the lives of Merlyn, and Uther, Arthur's father.

The two Sorcerer books cover Arthur's childhood.

Jack's books aren't what you would call Fantasy literature. The explanation behind Merlyn's reputation as a Sorcerer is grounded in real life - no hocus-pocus majick going on in these books. They read as if they may just be what really happened in this "Dark Age" of the history of Great Britain.

Jack is originally from Scotland, but lives here in British Columbia now. I've met him at book signings a couple of times and he's a very entertaining and nice person - with a fantastic Scottish accent.

I love historical books, they are probably my favourite.

I especially like Jean Auel's Earths Children series set in the Ice Age, Nancy Mckenzie set in Medieval Times and Barbara Erskine who has mainly set her books in the Roman era but also a lot further back in time.

I find it really interesting to read how people used to live....

I've just finished reading the earths children series and I really enjoyed them even though its not really my type of books. Could you recommend anything similar?

I've just finished reading the earths children series and I really enjoyed them even though its not really my type of books. Could you recommend anything similar?

Unfortunately i never come across any other books which are like the Earths Children :D so i would also be very interested if anyone could recommend any...

However if you like historical books in general, the books i mentioned are fantastic!

I've just had a quick squiz on Amazon at their "similar items" bit (when you go into a book profile, you can click to see other, similar, items that people have bought after buying it) and the first ones up seem to be something called The Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier.

If you have a look HERE, you can click the "more results" button for more similar items - I hope there's something that will take your fancy. :D

I'd like to get more into historical fiction. I haven't read that much of it, but what I have read I've really enjoyed. I loved the Earth's Children series (but I haven't got around to reading the latest :D ). It was one of the first "adult" (no, I don't mean the sex scenes :blush: ) books I read, and I absolutely loved it. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet is another great historical novel - an absolute must read for anyone into the genre.

How about James Michener? I think he writes historical fiction. I tried one of his books (Chesapeake), but couldn't stick with it, although I have heard very positive things about him.

If you like Arthurian fiction then I'd recommend Jack Whyte's series (known as "A Dream of Eagles" in Canada, and "The Camulod Chronicles" elsewhere) consisting of:

1. The Skystone

2. The Singing Sword

3. The Eagles' Brood

4. The Saxon Shore

5. The Sorcerer: The Fort at River's Bend (aka. The Fort at River's Bend)

6. The Sorcerer: Metamorphosis (aka. The Sorcerer)

There's also a parallel and companion volume called "Uther" which takes place during the same time period as "The Eagles' Brood" but tells it from a different perspective. The series is narrative, and "Uther" is told in the third person. There were things that the narrative character in "The Eagles' Brood" wasn't privy to, that are cleared up in "Uther".

The Sorcerer: Metamorphosis culminates in the crowning of Arthur as High King of Britannia.

There's also a follow-up miniseries called "The Golden Eagle". It consists of:

1. Clothar the Frank (aka. The Lance Thrower)

2. The Eagle

This series is narrated by the Lancelot equivalent, and tells of the life of Arthur as King.

Jack has started a trilogy about the Templar Knights now. The first book in the trilogy, "Knights of the Black and White", was published last year, and the second book is due out this summer.

But in my opinion, "A Dream of Eagles" is his best work, and one of THE best Arthurian series ever written.

I agree, these books are brilliant! Very smart writing combined with clever imagination it's a treat to venture into the time period and imagine the mix of the Legend and the Reality of the time.

I remember pressuring the poor gal at the bookstore to find if the the next or newest books was available because I wanted to read the most recent as soon as possible.

• 3 months later...

I was about to start a topic on historical crime fiction but felt that it would probably fit in with this tipic thats already been started!

Does anyone else out there historical crime fiction? For many years I've been reading the likes of Lindsey Davis, Deryn Lake, David Wishart, Rosemary Rowe, Marilyn Todd, Edward Marston, Bernard Knight, Susanna Greggory, Peter Tremayne, Paul Doherty (the list could go on!). I can be a bit picky and for a while stuck to Roman murder mysteries before moving on medieval, then 17th/18th century and finally 19th/20th century with Edward Marston's railway detective series and Andrew Martin's Jim Striger series. There are some authors I have tried but couldn't get into such as Steven Saylor and Michael Jecks. Who are people's favourites?

I'd like to recommend Sharon Penman. She has written a series of superb novels around the medieval period of the 12th and 13th centuries. She brings to life the real historical characters like Eleanor of Aquitaine, Simon De Montford and Llewellyn the Great and their conflicts and relationships with the English Kings from the period. The books read so easily like any other novels but are based on real events and characters from the time. As a taster I recommend her shorter novel The Queens Man but the real quality that she has written are books like The Sunne in Splendour, Here Be Dragons and When Christ and His Saints Slept.

I have to admit I do enjoy the Justin de Quincy series. Prince of Darkness is still on my 'to-read list' (I must add it to my TBR list on here before I forget!).