Historical Fiction

Kell

I've not read any of Furnivalls, Clare, but they sound intriguing! :blush:

I'm a big fan of Matthew Pearl's works, which are usually set in the mid-late 1800's and involve famous authors like Dickens, Poe and Longfellow. I also love Tracy Chevalier and Susan Vreeland.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not read any of Furnivalls, Clare, but they sound intriguing! :blush:

I'm a big fan of Matthew Pearl's works, which are usually set in the mid-late 1800's and involve famous authors like Dickens, Poe and Longfellow. I also love Tracy Chevalier and Susan Vreeland.

I also love Tracy Chevalier books!

Maybe a stupid question but is there a 'master' of historical fiction, an author who is widely regarded like Stephen King is for example, in the horror genre, within historical fiction?

I guess it largely depends on the era but are there prominent authors to look out for? Historical fiction is becoming more and more 'my thing' by the minute.

The really good ones are:-

Jean Plaidy

Elizabeth Chadwick

Bernard Cornwall

Philippa Gregory

CJ Sansom

Alison Weir

Jeanne Kalogridis

There are some newer ones that I am discovering -

Anne O'Brien

SJ Parish

Kate Mosse

Ken Follett

I've not read any of Furnivalls, Clare, but they sound intriguing! :D

I've just been doing some reading about Matthew Pearl and this really does sound right up my street. Think I'll be on the look out for The Dante Club when I'm next in town. Thanks!

I saw Pearl's Dickens book in a bookshop last night, but I managed to resist because I've had The Poe Shadow for a while now and I haven't even read that yet. :lol: His books have such pretty covers.

Hope you enjoy it if you decide to read The Dante Club, Clare! It's one of my faves :lol:.

His books do have pretty covers, Kylie, I agree! The Last Dickens was a wonderful book so I hope you get to read it one day :roll:.

I'm not sure if this counts as historical fiction but has anyone read any of Kate Furnivall's novels? Set in China and Russia from 1929 onwards. It's epic stuff full of scandal and lots of secretive behaviour! Just spotted on amazon that she has a new book due out in November :-)

Yes, I have read a few of her novels now. I love them. The Concubine's Secret is near the top of my TBR pile.

My favourite historical fiction is the Brother Cadfael series which I have read and re-read - esp when I want to lose myself in another world. When I start reading them, it's just like putting on an old pair of slippers.

• 1 month later...

I've read 2 Kate Furnival books, and thought they were pretty good. I remember them clearly which must be good.

Reading this thread has made me realise that historical fiction is my preferred genre. I have read a vast amount, all ages from the dawn of civilisation to the 20th century, and all over the world - China, Japan, Russia, USA, Europe, Afghanistan, south America, Australia.... I can't believe its taken me so long to notice!

I fancy reading some historical fiction based in feudal Japan, Ninja, Samurai, that sort of thing. Preferably based on real events/facts. In fact anything based in the far east would be of interest or anything related to Buddhism. Any suggestions?

Try The Last Concubine by Lesley Downer for a good insight to Japan. It's based around real events.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to read a lot of historical books when I was about 13/14. There was this Dutch writer; Simone v/d Vlucht who's written a lot of historical childrens/young adult books about Jean D'Arc and witches and stuff. I loved her books!

But I guess I haven't read a lot of historical fiction lately.. it's a shame really, 'cause I really like 'em. Same with movies; historical movies are the best!

Can anyone recommend a book about the plague?

My daughter is going to read 'Vlinders' right now, also by v/d Vlucht. She had to read 'Bastaard van Brussel' for school and enjoyed that so much, she read more v/d Vlucht books, such as 'De guillotine' and 'Zwarte Sneeuw'.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone :readingtwo: any Victoria Holt, these days?

I've been a fan of hers for many years, and am currently working through as many of her novels as I can get my hands on, again. (Local Libraries, or charity shops are good places to scavange a few, for many of her books haven't been re-printed for some time)

Thankfully though, a few have, in recent years - Mistress of Mellyn, Bride of Pendorric, Shadow of the Lynx, and Shivering Sands, to name some.

V.H. produces a wonderful historical mystery/suspense/touch of romance Gothic-type novel which draws the reader in, and makes 'em feel the danger of the stories. Great stuff! For anyone who hasn't yet enjoyed any - a bit Jane Eyre-ish.

I've just finished "The Shivering Sands" (again) and though it wasn't "new" to me, it had no problem gripping me, to the last page.

These are what I call real "cold weather" stories. A cosy armchair, a cuppa, and a bar of chocolate - what better way to escape Autumn/Winter?

What favourites have the rest of you got?

• 8 months later...

What do we think of Michelle Moran's Egyptian series, gang?

I'm reading them somewhat out of order - having started with "Cleopatra's Daughter" her latest, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I've now snaffled "Nefertiti" her first, and "Heretic Queen" the second of the series from the Library, having hovered around the appropriate spot on the shelves like a buzzard for a few weeks while the selfish person who had them out didn't return them promply. :D Fortunately although related, they're quite separate stories, so no harm done.

Although I like the Wilbur Smith Egyptian series too, I find these particular novels much "easier" to read. M.M. has the knack of drawing the reader into her historical world from the start, and making her characters easy to connect with.

I've so far read none of her other historical novels - but I'll get to them, too.

What do we think of Michelle Moran's Egyptian series, gang?

I've only read Cleopatra's daughter (which I loved). Wouldn't mind reading more of her stuff though...

• 1 month later...

I'm in the process of making my way through the entire series (to date) of the historical/fantasy "Sevenwaters" series, by Juliet Marillier.

This has long been a favourite of mine - even if the descriptive word "fantasy" is a bit annoying. Frankly, I think it's there to encourage people to actually read the novels without frightening 'em with the fact that the Druid faith, and the spirits of our nature world really do exist! Both flavour these books and bring a wonderful sense of the magic around us to the attention.

I think J.M. has done a wonderful job - putting forward her own faith and beliefs (she's a member of the Druid Order herself) and providing us with wonderful entertainment, too.

Currently, I'm just finished the third of the 5-book series - and have loved the hours of pleasure I've had, and will have, over the next week or so.

"Daughter of the Forest"

"Son of the Shadows"

"Child of the Prophecy"

"Heir to Sevenwaters"

"Seer of Sevenwaters"

This is a series I've returned to again - and again.

My personal favourite is still "Daughter" but "Heir" isn't far behind!

What do other fans think?

I haven't read Juliet Millier so far, but I'm interesstet in history and more in the actual living in the past than in mere facts. Which is, why I love historical novells. I've read Ken Follet, he writes quite genius, and the Highland series from Gabaldon. Late, I did read more German authors, I'm not sure if they have been translated into English. One of them, Rebecca Gablé, wrote a serie of a family of knights, which plays in England from the age of William the Conqueror to the war of the roses (I don't know the right English term, I translated from the German word Rosenkriege) where the houses of York and Lancaster finally joined to the Tudors.

Welcome to the forum, Little W. :welcomeboard:

Isn't it great to share our interest in books between countries, through the internet?

Juliet Marillier certainly sounds like a good suggestion for your "to be read" list, as her stories deal with the personal challenges of certain members of the Sevenwaters family, and don't get bogged down in factual detail. Each novel is the memories of a member of the next generation of the family, and can be read separately, or as part of a family history.

Yes - I agree with you - novels are a much more interesting way to read about historical times, and nowadays, thanks to the "magic" of the internet, the factual details along the way are very accurate, too.

I like Diana Gabaldon too, and I must re-read her Outlander or "Cross Stitch" series, as we Brits know it. Maybe over this Winter? She's done such a good job in fact, that sometimes it's uncomfortable for the modern reader, used to our more civilised societies.

Ken Follet is good too. I loved his "Pillar of the Earth". The T.V. version was a bit different from the book, but still enjoyable viewing, and through either, of course, we can learn easily about how thngs were done "back then".

Enjoy your reading, whatever your next choice is, Little W. I'm sure we'll meet again, around the the topics. :D

Edited by Booknutt

Thanks, Booknutt,

I have been a bit disappointed by the TV version of Pillars of the Earth. I watched it, for I wanted to see the cathedral and how they built it. But that was the one thing, they didn't really show. :(

I loved the first books from Gabaldon and have been fascinated by how they wanted to change history cause of knowing what would happen, and made it happen like that. But when she came back to the ever same topics even in the last books of the series, it unnerved me.

And, yes, it is nice to share interests over the world in a friendly forum. I nearly signed in in another one bevor finding BCF, but the very first chat I read, three people, who never changed a word before, became very annoying. Not with me, that doesn't need to be!

Yes - sometimes we need to let an author have a bit of licence, don't we LittleW?

In theory, it is possible to change "history" not that I'm prepared to get into the heavy subject of quantum mechanics, time lines, different realities etc., here! :D But of course it can't be done casually, as even a small change would probably wipe out millions of people who might otherwise have been born or existed, and everything they were connected with. :o

Of course - that's the beauty of a novel, for in such a world it can be done without harm - again and again. Don't let it spoil your pleasure in the series though, it's still a riveting "read."

I'm glad you're happier with the chats you've had here, LittleW. :) It it can happen that some folks get a bit insistent in stating their opinions. I think it's actually quite a commonproblem nowadays. We tend to feel that someone not agreeing with us is an insult, when actually there is no offence intended. We're all entitled to our opinions, but sometimes a bit of restraint with someone who might not actually see something "our" way, is the better choice. For we all join these forums to enjoy ourselves, don't we?

A little off-subject, but "magic" themed, as the Sevenwaters series is ... I'm really pleased with a bargain I spotted, today.

All but two of the "Harry Potter" series (5 books of the 7 book series), brand new, for £5 (about half the price of one novel) in a local Charity Shop. :D:D

I've actually read it before, but am looking forward to getting back into it again over the Winter (at present we're still in Summer, here in Britain) I love gathering up series of novels and making them reading projects over our dark Winter days, so this makes a fantastic start to my cold-weather collection.

I do love it when such treats present themselves in my life. It feels literally Heaven-sent - and this Booknutt is pleased to oblige! :)

Happy reading LittleW, and everyone else.

Yessss, that's how to live on a winter day (and evening): Pour a nice cup of tea, pick up a nice book, wrap yourself in a warm sheet and start reading!!!

I've also read Harry Potter and enjoyed the first five books. But on the sixth I got a bit the feeling, the Rowling had didn't know how to get it to the proposed sevenths book. Those last two had a little feeling of just filling the pages. But then, I'm no real fantasy fan and thus didn't ever become one of those great Potter fans, so please don't feel disturbed by that.

I find that time-travell-thing, if not overstretched, philosophically interesting. What would happen if one really could? Could you avoid WW2, stop the plague, what else?

Happy reading, Booknutt

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all,

I just want to throw in my two cents with three suggestions :)

I just read throuhg this topic and I noticed that you guys read more or less English/American writers. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, don't get me wrong, please! :hide: I do so, too! You have, in this short time that I've been hanging and lurking arround here, allreday pointed me to works that are not even translated to Slovene yet (and I'm affraid they will never be), so I read/have read a lot of original English/American authors myself. :readingtwo:

I just want to point you to three excellent books by non-english writers:

First two books are by Spanish writer Ildefonso Falcones (if you have alreday spoken/written here about his work, please forgive me, since I'm new here and haven't been able to read throuhg this pretty extensive forum just yet). He wrote two downright amazing historical novels set in Medieval Spain:

- "Cathedral of the Sea" (orig. La Catedral del mar) this one being my favourite historical book so far

- "The Hand of Fatima" (orig. La mano de Fatima)

here's his official web site if anyone's interested: http://www.ildefonsofalcones.com/en with plot summary for both books. And might I add - both are "door-stoppers"... :))

Third is a book somebody already mentioned here - "The Bridge on the Drina" by Ivo Andrić (orig.: Na Drini ćuprija) - History of the famous UNESCO protected bridge over river Drina in Višegrad (Bosnian town on the border with Serbia) from it's construction sponsored by Grand Vizier Mehmed Pasa Sokolovic in Otoman times, to the end of WW I). Andrić was awarded with Nobel price for Literature for this one in 1961...

All three I can't recommend enough, since they are adorned by GREAT (fictional) story, superbly constructed characters and the fact that they are built arround actual events and people from spanish and balkan history.

So much from me for now.

Peaceful reading y'all!

WW

(sorry for possible misspelling...)

• 10 months later...

I recently spotted the Medici series of Jean Plaidy in an economy bookshop - and dived on them, as this lady was a brilliant writer of dozens of historical novels - and I've never actually read these particular three.

I'd decide to keep them for a Winter treat - a few months away here in Britain, as we're in mid Summer now - but have just spotted an exciting bargain that my fellow historical nutts may be interested in -

12 Jean Plaidy novels (inclusive of p & p) for under £19 from The Book People :jump: !!

I ordered by phone, but of course they are also available online - and I'm sure from "other stores" too (but maybe not at such a good bargain?)  

So - I can unleash myself on the Medici trilogy now, as it's not included in the treasures to come.

Sometimes being a bookworm can be s-o-o much fun!

Edited by Booknutt