Historical Fiction

Kell

Welcome to my world, Susanna Gregory has to be my favourite of all I think. Have read Jecks and Sharon Penman and he was quite good, CJ Sampson' Dark Fire, Dissolution and Sovereign were great, also The Instance of the Fingerpost although not a classic whodunnit is very clever.

Haven't read but have on tbr Karen Harper the Poyson Garden which has Elizabeth I investiagting a murder.

The other one that had never occurred to me was Agatha Christie, am planning on reading her Tommy and Tuppence series soon!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed out C J Samson from my list! The last installment, Sovereign, I just could not put down! Given it's length I have to applaud the guy for keeping you interested right to the end and keeping a good pace through the story. Shardlake is such an unlikely hero that it just works.

I missed out C J Samson from my list! The last installment, Sovereign, I just could not put down! Given it's length I have to applaud the guy for keeping you interested right to the end and keeping a good pace through the story. Shardlake is such an unlikely hero that it just works.

They are great, my favourite though is Matthew Bartholomew and Brother Michael by Susanna Gregory

(PS aren't you moving?)

Yep, on Thursday :) Still got 3 more days here at work and am trying not to start anything new as there seems little point!

Have you tried Susanna Gregory's Thomas Chaloner series? Very different but equally as good. Oh and I'd recommend the Brother Athelstan series by Paul Doherty (or Paul Harding as he sometimes writes as). Brother Athelstan and Sir John Cranston are another excellent pairing :thud: Plus you can't help but laugh at Athelstan's parishioners who keep trying to upstage each other! There are some real characters in that congregation!

Yep, on Thursday :) Still got 3 more days here at work and am trying not to start anything new as there seems little point!

Have you tried Susanna Gregory's Thomas Chaloner series? Very different but equally as good. Oh and I'd recommend the Brother Athelstan series by Paul Doherty (or Paul Harding as he sometimes writes as). Brother Athelstan and Sir John Cranston are another excellent pairing :thud: Plus you can't help but laugh at Athelstan's parishioners who keep trying to upstage each other! There are some real characters in that congregation!

Have listened to a Conspiracy of Violence which is Challoner

Off to look for Aethelstan ones now.

I am reading James Blish's Doctor Mirabilis at the moment. It is a slightly fictionalised account of the life and times of the great 13th century English mystic Roger Bacon. Blish attempts to fill in the large gaps in what is known with what is speculated about the great man.

I do like historical fiction when it tries to fill in the gaps which historians can't! Or won't?!?!

Me too: I think that's why I really like Sarah Waters' novels and I loved The Crimson Petal and The White by Michel Faber: I find different perspectives of the Victorian era fascinating.

I recently bought a second-hand copy of Persuasion by A.S Byatt, which is partly set in the (late?) Victorian period.

I never thought I was an Historical Fiction fan, but I suppose I must be!!

CJ Sansom has to be one of the best. I have loved every page of Shardlake! I can't wait for the next instalment which is not due out until at least next year.

Oh I forgot one, Maisie Dobbs by Jaqueline Winspear, sort of detectivey, set in the inter war years, my favourite historical era (special subject at uni was Great War) short and really clever and thought provoking, really showed an era.

And Dorothy L Sayers

I love historical fiction! I've not read any of Susanna Gregory's books but I'm going to have to look out for them.

I've read a few of Phillippa Gregory's - started with The Other Bolyne Girl as someone else said.

I loved Jean Auel's Earth children series too.

My favourite periods to read about have got to be the Jacobite's and the Tudors. I read Anya Seton's Devil Water when I was a teenager and got hooked on the Jacobites. She focusses mainly on the 1715 rebellion, but I've read other books which focus on the 45.

Anya Seton's written a few other books set in historical times, but I don't know whether they are true historical figures.

I don't really mind whether the books are of historical figures/events or just set in a particular period. I just prefer those times to these!

Just remembered - Bernard Cornwell is another favourite. I've got nearly all of the Sharpe books, Stonehenge and the Heretic etc trilogy. I got the Winter King for Christmas but I've not read it yet.

Just remembered - Bernard Cornwell is another favourite. I've got nearly all of the Sharpe books, Stonehenge and the Heretic etc trilogy. I got the Winter King for Christmas but I've not read it yet.

Some of us read The Winter King in the reading circle at the start of the year. Perhaps you'll nip along to the thread and leave your thoughts on it when you're done reading. :lol:

I read Anne Boleyn And Me about two and a half weeks ago. It's a diary that goes through from 1525 to 1536, and it's all about the drama of these messy years, told by a lady-in-waiting to both Queens that sat on the throne in those years. I liked it, as with all Tudor books, and I'll probably try others in the series, like the plague and the great fire of London.

Historical fiction was never a genre I was particularly interested in (apart from Jane Austen, whose books I do like), and then I discovered Tracy Chevalier and Sarah Waters. I have only read one Sarah Waters book, and two Tracy Chevalier books, but I loved them both and have more by them on my pile waiting to be read.

I got Innocent Traitor, by Alison Weir a few weeks ago, which looks good, and also a number of Posie Graeme-Evans' books. I think it depends on the way that such books are written. I used to worry that it would feel like like reading a history textbook!

I got Innocent Traitor, by Alison Weir a few weeks ago, which looks good, and also a number of Posie Graeme-Evans' books.

I have Innocent Traitor just added to my bookshelf to be read and I can't recommend the Posie Graeme-Evans books enough, I read all three last year and they were fantastic. They really gave me a taste for the genre, easliy as good as Philippa Gregory.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Bernard Cornwell's first three Sharpe books are near the top of my TBR pile and I've just discovered that there are over 20 more - good job I enjoy a good marathon!

• 8 months later...

I love historical fiction, however it has to be british history. I love the tudor era and also King Arthur's reign.

I love it when the books are based on real life castles and places so I can research the areas and get a good feel of what the book was about. Ken Follett's book, The Pillars of the Earth was set in mainly in Wales, which I have found a lot of books are, I will have to visit these places! :readingtwo:

I know the Earths Children books were set in Europe, however they weren't historical as such, more about the time era and their travels. (I hope that makes sense!) These books were very interesting as a lot of the places mentioned in the books were real life places which you can visit.

I think the best historical books are the ones which are researched well.