Historical Fiction

Kell

Have you read any? Do you like it? Which era interests you most? Which writers float your boat?

I ask because I've had a bit of a mixed bag over the last few months since I was introduced to this genre. I picked up Under the Eagle by Simon Scarrow for a song & got hooked. i've now read 3 of his books & am expecting at least one more of his fo Xmas.

I also read Viking: Odinn's Child by Tim Severin, thinking I'd be interested because of the whole Viking thing, but I hated it. Mostly the writing style & lack of story, rather than the historical aspect.

Then I picked up The Star of Kazan by Eva Ibbotson which turned out to be set at the turn of the last century in Vienna & was aimed at older kids/teens. I loved it.

I've been told Bernard Cornwall is one to go for if I liked Scarrow, but I've never been attracted to his books (don't know why...). I'd love to hear any recommendations or thought son the subject.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have started to get into it. In the past I have read mostly straight on historical books - but I needed to mix it up a bit.

I have been reading Ken Follet's the Pillars of the Earth on and off. So far it has been a fantastic book. A long read - but fantastic nonetheless.

• 5 weeks later...

I LOVE historical fiction Kell!!!

I highly highly recommend Philippa Gregory....you'll notice throughout this forum over time that I'm obsessed with her books!

Another one I've just got into is Suzannah Dunn.

The Tudor/Elizabethan period is my favourite without a doubt. I'm convinced I'm a reincarnation from that era!

Guest Anonymous

Tash wrote :

I'm convinced I'm a reincarnation from that era!

I quite agree, fair maiden !

Must have a lookie at these too, since they come highly recommended!

:D

Stonehenge? Cooooool! I'll have to have a lookout for that book!

Clare....

I've only read 'The Queen of Subtleties' by Suzannah Dunn and having now looked her up on google, it appears she's not actually a writer of this genre as a rule. I'm quite gutted now because with just one book read I was ready to read the rest and convinced she was of this genre!

However, I think I could quite happily read her others too.

Darker Days than Usual (novella and three stories), Serpent

Tash wrote

I highly highly recommend Philippa Gregory....you'll notice throughout this forum over time that I'm obsessed with her books!

I love her books as well. I always pre-order her books way before they come out. Just awaiting her latest 'The Constant Princess' - my husband forgot that I wanted for Christmas!

I like Bernard Cornwell, his book on Stonehenge was really good and if your into Arthurian history his trilogy is really good.

It's on my "to read" shelf & I'm looking forward to it rather more than I was now - thank you!

The Wideacre trilogy was brilliant!!! I've yet to read a book of hers that I don't like to be honest!

I couldn't wait for The Constant Princess :oops: My hubby did want to get it for me for Xmas but I had already pre-ordered it from Amazon and I read it as soon as it got here!

The Wise Woman was a great book too :D

For those who aren't familiar with this womans work....shame on you! *giggles* No seriously, you may find this a help....if you click on her 'book' link at the top, you can read the first bit of each book :Tantrum:

http://www.philippagregory.com

Just in case I haven't mentioned Ivo Andric's The Bridge Over The Drina enough on this site, I'll mention that it's a fantastic historical fiction covering the entire Balkan history from the Ottoman invasion to the first world war. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. And probably only for me. But I'll keep going on about it.

She's not like any author I've ever read Inanna, but I'm sure you would find her work very easy to get into.

The first book I read of hers was The Other Boleyn Girl, which is all about Anne Boleyns elder sister Mary and her relationship with Henry VIII.

I would recommend starting with this book as it was the one that got me hooked.

She's not like any author I've ever read Inanna, but I'm sure you would find her work very easy to get into.

The first book I read of hers was The Other Boleyn Girl, which is all about Anne Boleyns elder sister Mary and her relationship with Henry VIII.

I would recommend starting with this book as it was the one that got me hooked.

Just bought it off of ebay :D

Inanna wrote

The Other Bolyn Girl & The Queen's Fool

I really enjoyed these books, Philippa is able to 'capture' the very essence of these times and the social reforms / fear of the times. I think Hannah the Fool was particularly cleverly written - one not to miss!

• 2 months later...

A few more questions to consider on Historical Fiction:

What makes a good historical fiction novel?

Is there any particular era you tend to avoid or choose above others?

Which aspect of Historical Fiction interests you most? Or do you find it dry & boring?

Would you rather read novelisations of actual historical events with actual historical figures, or do you prefer fictional characters within a specific historical setting?

I like most eras.. until now my experience has been Egyptian, which I loved, and medieval (Michael Chrichton's Timeline). I obviously enjoyed Labyrinth, but that was more because it was a really good book, rather than when it was set.

I have a great enjoyment is learning how people lived in history.. I loved history when we were studying the Romans, but could comtemplate GCSE because the syllabus was all about the world wars, and the politics.

I therefore think I'd enjoy most historical books.

I don't really mind whether they are fictional characters, or actual characters, but I would want the latter to be really well researched.