Looking for Fantasy/Sci fi series

Hi all, hoping you have some recommendations for me!

Looking for a nice juicy fantasy/sci fi series- I have read and enjoyed the following so anything along these lines would be excellent.

Wheel of Time

Mistborn

Warded Man/Painted Man

Game of Thrones

Sword of Truth

Outlander (not really fantasy but I liked it)

Night Angel

The Forgotten

Elantris

So those are the ones I can remember... thanks, look forward to your recommendations :)

You list so many good ones :o!! I've not read Night Angel yet, I don't know The Forgotten (who wrote it?) and I've not started Outlander. I've read 3 books in the Sword of Truth series. The rest I've read and loved (waiting for the 5th book in the Painted Man series in paperback, am excited to read The Core).

As for recommendations, other books by Brandon Sanderson could be an idea (since you liked both Mistborn and Elantris). I haven't started his Stormlight Archive series yet, but I liked Warbreaker. The Stormlight Archives has received high praise, but it is an unfinished series at this moment.

Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series (since you liked Night Angel) is said to be good, but I haven't read that yet myself.

I personally also liked Trudi Canavan's books (though I've not read her most recent series because it is not completed yet), I've read The Black Magician trilogy, The Traitor Spy trilogy (takes place some years after The Black Magician trilogy) and The Magician's Apprentice (takes place before The Black Magician trilogy but would recommend reading it after) and The Age of the Five trilogy (not connected to anything else).

I also liked some of Karen Miller's books, but I've also got an acquaintance who thought they were slow.

You might like Robin Hobb, though I've yet to read any books by her. My sister, who really likes fantasy too, likes her books.

Awesome thanks! I will have a look at your suggestions. I just realised today that The Core is new so I've bought that on kindle and I need to refresh my memory on the last book that came before it (The Skull Throne?) as I read it a few years ago now.

The Forgotten is actually sci fi but I found it pretty interesting, there are only two books so far its by M.R. Forbes. 

If you haven't read Outlander you're in for a treat, lucky you!  :)

You might enjoy Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Cycle. 31 books over ten cycles, some 3 some 4 book long but all integrated into a brilliant Fantasy

If you like Urban Fantasy, Charles de Lint's Newford series along with his Ottawa And The Valley series are excellent. 

Happy Reading

Edited by Trevor

I'd recommend the Copper Cat trilogy by Jen Williams. 

Very well written, with good world building.  She also has the second book of a second trilogy coming out next month, I think...

If you buy the Kindle versions of the books, the first one - The Copper Promise - was released in four parts so you can end up buying it twice if you are not careful!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mrs Wentworth, welcome to the forum. Your list leans heavily towards the fantasy side so I would recommend The Lyonesse Trilogy by Jack Vance. And some of the books by China Mielville which seem to straddle SF and Fantasy might suit.

• 1 year later...

I've done it again - I've re-bought Brent Weeks Night Angel trilogy! (3rd time now?) I really must keep it this time. I just don't know why I'm so fascinated with the story of this assassin. Should I worry about this trend??

I'm currently reading the Maria Snyder "Poison Study" and already have the rest of the series to follow, snapped up as a Charity shop bargain. Another assassin, female this time. 

I think my friends are getting a little alarmed, they don't browse among my bookcase as much as they did! ☺

Well, it makes a change from historical novels dunnit? 

Happy :readingtwo: All (and stay alert!)

On 5/15/2019 at 9:55 PM, Booknutt said:

I've done it again - I've re-bought Brent Weeks Night Angel trilogy! (3rd time now?) I really must keep it this time. I just don't know why I'm so fascinated with the story of this assassin. Should I worry about this trend??

I'm currently reading the Maria Snyder "Poison Study" and already have the rest of the series to follow, snapped up as a Charity shop bargain. Another assassin, female this time. 

I think my friends are getting a little alarmed, they don't browse among my bookcase as much as they did! ☺

Well, it makes a change from historical novels dunnit? 

Happy :readingtwo: All (and stay alert!)

Haha! 3rd time's the charm? I hope you enjoy the story :). I haven't read the Night Angel trilogy yet, maybe someday though :). I did read the beginning of book 1 some time ago but I put it down again as I wasn't in the mood for it.

I really liked Poison Study. I've read Poison Study, Magic Study, Fire Study, Assassin Study (free short story I read on the author's website some time ago), but not yet the newer books in the series. Amazing you found them at the charity shop! I did read Storm Glass, Sea Glass and Spy Glass (taking place in that same world). I also read Stormwatcher by the same author but that's a contemporary fiction middle-grade, so not at all related to the Poison Study series. I re-read Poison Study and Magic Study in the one of the recent years but I haven't felt like re-reading Fire Study yet. I wanted to re-read the trilogy as I don't remember enough to continue with the newer Study books. Anyway.. happy reading!