Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2018

Little Pixie

5 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

Ooh, cryptic. ;)

I'm not trying to be cryptic at all :D Just watch it when you have the time! :smile2:

5 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

I think once I decide to watch them, I'll be enthralled - but right now, I'm behind with a bunch of shows and am playing catch up, so am not sure about watching GG and get further behind with tv. I've got a few eps still to watch of The Frankie Drake mysteries, How to get away with Murder, all the DC shows, Under the Surface ( a Danish hostage thriller ) and I'm sure there's stuff I've forgotten. :)

I know what you mean: I was all for watching GG from start to finish, but when I got to the end of the 'actual' seasons, I stopped and went to other stuff. Now I've started watching The Office (US) right from the start, which I did not expect to happen! I should go and try to watch the GGs now... but I'm far more keen on watching The Office :blush:

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, frankie said:

I'm not trying to be cryptic at all :D Just watch it when you have the time! :smile2:

I know what you mean: I was all for watching GG from start to finish, but when I got to the end of the 'actual' seasons, I stopped and went to other stuff. Now I've started watching The Office (US) right from the start, which I did not expect to happen! I should go and try to watch the GGs now... but I'm far more keen on watching The Office :blush:

One day, the stars will align - stars hollow pun ;) - and I'll rush to put the GG dvds into the player. :)

And if you're excited about watching anything else, then yay. :D

Edited by Little Pixie

9 hours ago, Athena said:

Shame The Bigfoot Blunder didn't really click with you :(.

I'm glad the Winchester Witches novellas were good though :)!

Yes, they were fun. :D  I`m now reading Leighann Dobbs 6th book in the Mystic Notch series, Whisker of a Doubt. :)

Whisker of a Doubt - Leighann Dobbs

Willa Chance - a bookshop owner who sees ghosts after having a bad car accident - investigates another murder in the small town of Mystic Notch, alongside her magical cat Pandora, boyfriend Stryker and sister Gus ( Augusta ) , who's the town sherriff. It's a slight mystery rather than a densely plotted one, but the characters are likeable and there's some sweet interaction between the cat - who communicates telepathically -  with her owner and also with the group of other magical cats, who are sworn to protect the town from Evil. A nice snuggly read. :)

I`m now 2/3 of the way through The Disappearance of Mavis Woodstock - Rosalind Burgess & Patricia Obermeier Neuman

Loving it, and looking forward to the rest of the series. :D

Edited by Little Pixie

Wow, great book haul! And I'm really glad you posted that picture because I saw Fated, thought 'I'm sure I've seen that before' and when I looked it up it's a book I saw ages ago and wanted to read but I'd forgotten the name of it! 

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:57 AM, Little Pixie said:

Whisker of a Doubt - Leighann Dobbs

Willa Chance - a bookshop owner who sees ghosts after having a bad car accident - investigates another murder in the small town of Mystic Notch, alongside her magical cat Pandora, boyfriend Stryker and sister Gus ( Augusta ) , who's the town sherriff. It's a slight mystery rather than a densely plotted one, but the characters are likeable and there's some sweet interaction between the cat - who communicates telepathically -  with her owner and also with the group of other magical cats, who are sworn to protect the town from Evil. A nice snuggly read. :)

I got to 'magical cat' and thought ooooh, I want to read this :D. Bookshops, magic, mysteries and cats - sounds like an excellent combination!

19 hours ago, Hayley said:

Wow, great book haul! And I'm really glad you posted that picture because I saw Fated, thought 'I'm sure I've seen that before' and when I looked it up it's a book I saw ages ago and wanted to read but I'd forgotten the name of it!

I got to 'magical cat' and thought ooooh, I want to read this :D. Bookshops, magic, mysteries and cats - sounds like an excellent combination!

Hurray ! To both comments. ;)  :D

The Mystic Notch cosies are really sweet.  :wub:

Book 84

The Disappearance of Mavis Woodstock - Rosalind Burgess & Patricia Obermeier Neumann

The first of the Val and Kit mystery series and a cracking read. Recently divorced fifty-something Val works as an estate agent for her old friend Tom ( think : Will they/ won't they ;) ) and one day receives a phone call from Mavis Woodstock, who was in the same year at school. Mavis wants to sell her house desperately, but suddenly disappears, leaving Val and best friend Kit to play detective. There's a decent mystery and some great lines, but the best thing is the Val and Kit double act. :)

8 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm glad you enjoyed this one :). I downloaded book 4 in the series while it was free, based on your recommendation :).

Yay. :D I`m hoping that the rest of the series is as good as Book 1, but then you can`t quibble with free. :)

The Murder of Susan Reed - Rosalind Burgess & Patricia Obermeier Neumann

The second in the Val and Kit mystery series. Kit suspects her husband of having an affair, probably with Susan Reed from his accountancy firm.  Cue Val and Kit driving around in disguise one night, tailing the husband in a borrowed car. The next morning, the headline in the paper references the murder of Susan Reed, leaving Kit and husband Larry as possible suspects.  And we're off on another LOL murder investigation. :)

Death in Door County - Rosalind Burgess & Patricia Obermeier Neumann

Book 3 in the Val & Kit mystery series. Val leaves Chicago for a retirement village in Door County , to celebrate Mother' s Day at her Mother's house, along with best friend Kit and daughter Emily. While there, one of Val' s Mother's firends dies in what seems like an accident, leaving Val and Kit to leap into investigation mode. Another funny and suspenseful mystery. :)

1 hour ago, muggle not said:

What are the 3 favorite books you have read so far this year?

Ooh, Good question. I`ve edited it down to a Top 5 :

Coming Clean - Kimberly Rae Miller .  A memoir about growing up with a Father who was a compulsive hoarder. Funny and sad, it gave me a better understanding of hoarding. I`ve read the author`s second book ( Beautiful Bodies ) and would read anything else she comes out with.:)

A Witch in Time - Amanda M Lee.  The books/novellas all blur into one for me, so I`m picking a recent one which I loved. Aunt Tillie suffers a head injury and Bay and Landon are pulled into her mind. It`s very funny, with some poignant stuff too. Also, ` I could do it professionally` is my quote of the year so far. :giggle2:

The Yellow Violet - Frances Crane.  A 1940`s mystery set in San Francisco. Jean and Pat Abbott are trying to get married but a case keeps getting in the way. :)

Sing the Four Quarters - Tanya Huff.   Fantasy where magic affects the elements. The Bards are trained to sing to affect Earth, Fire, Wind and Water, with one Bard, Annice, able to affect all four elements. Annice - sister to the King - gets involved in a conspiracy and has to save her Country with everyone else thinking she`s a traitor. Splendid. :)

The Disappearance of Mavis Woodstock - Rosalind Burgess & Patricia Obermeier Neuman .   Very funny cosy mystery. 50-something friends Val and Kit investigate when a High School acquaintance goes missing. :)

What books would you pick ? :)

Edited by Little Pixie

Unhappy Hooligan - Stuart Palmer ( 1956 )

Howie Rook - retired journalist and bane of the Police Dept. - is hired as a private investigator to investigate the mysterious death of a wealthy lawyer, found in a locked room and wearing clown make-up. Howie is hired by both the lawyer's ex-wife and by the daughter, both of whom accuse the other....Howie goes undercover at the circus as a clown, in an amusing mystery with stand-out characters. :)

The Gourmet Detective - Peter King

( The books have been turned into a series of Hallmark TV movies, relocating the character from London to San Francisco. )

Published in 1994, but it feels like a much older book ; there`s a fair amount of sexism ( a couple of times, characters are decribed as ` would be more attractive if they lost weight and wore make-up`, and one female is described as having ` flashing eyes and heaving breasts ` in a particularly sniggerworthy description ) . I also had trouble with the last 15% or so of the book and had problems following what was happening ( but I could`ve just been tired ) .

Having said that, I enjoyed the book despite the failings ; the Gourmet Detective is an amusingly pompous character who gets drawn into a real murder ( he usually spends his time tracking down rare foods ) , and I`ll give a book further along in the series a try. :)

Edited by Little Pixie