Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2018

Little Pixie

Books read : 52                 TBR  : no idea !!             New Books Bought : 32                       Total Cost : £ 57.70.

Back to Kindle Unlimited :

The Dead Detective series ( books 1, 1.5, 2 ) - JR Rain

Richelle Dadd - police detective - wakes up to find herself at a crime scene. Unfortunately, she`s the victim - she`s dead. Even worse, she`s a sort-of zombie. Trying to keep her zombie status a secret, while solving her own murder, makes for an amusing murder mystery.

The Librarian - Christy Sloat

One of my favourite reads during the Kindle trial. Emme`s Grandmother dies and she has to leave College to go home to Maine and run her Grandmother`s library. There`s a mysterious ring and a secret book, and suddenly she`s in a time travel romance. A sweet, snuggly read. :)

Edited by Little Pixie

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

So behind with reviews. :hide:

The Incredible Crime - Lois Austen-Leigh

Written by the great-great-grandniece of Jane Austen, this is a fun college mystery from the 1930`s. Prudence - the Master`s daughter - gets involved in a mystery involving foxhunting and smuggling. While not a patch on Dorothy L Sayers` Gaudy Night, it was a pleasant enough read.

I read a bunch of the British Library Crime Classics anthologies ( edited by Martin edwards ) ; I think my favourite was Crimson Snow, a set of stories and novellas set in Winter ( Christmassy tales, trapped in snowbound country houses with a murder, etc ).There was a particularly good one by Victor Gunn, called Death in December.

Hide in Time - Anna Faversham

A lovely time-travel romance, set in the present day and the early 19th century. Laura - a Regency woman who ends up in the present day -  decides to hide her friend Xandra in the past, after she`s threatened by criminals. The book really catches fire when it moves to the 19th C, and I loved how the characters blossomed. One of my top time-travel reads. :)

Edited by Little Pixie

The Black Curl - Constance and Gwenyth Little

The last of the ' Little Sisters' books, and a fun read, even if it's not up to the same standard as the earlier books. Bill , a hard working, fussy and a bit parsimonious New Yorker, has a bunch of sponging relatives living with him, as well as a new housekeeper. One morning he wakes up to find that someone has sneaked into his room during the night and cut off a lock of his hair. Why they did it and the complicated reasons for the mystery, are explored in the book, with time for plenty of drinking and wisecracking.

The copyright page of the book says ' Any resemblance to persons living or dead would be downright ridiculous'. :lol:

7 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

The Black Curl - Constance and Gwenyth Little

The last of the ' Little Sisters' books, and a fun read, even if it's not up to the same standard as the earlier books. Bill , a hard working, fussy and a bit parsimonious New Yorker, has a bunch of sponging relatives living with him, as well as a new housekeeper. One morning he wakes up to find that someone has sneaked into his room during the night and cut off a lock of his hair. Why they did it and the complicated reasons for the mystery, are explored in the book, with time for plenty of drinking and wisecracking.

The copyright page of the book says ' Any resemblance to persons living or dead would be downright ridiculous'. :lol:

That's a different premise than a lot of mysteries I know! Most are about someone who turned up dead.

:lol: nice!

Have a great reading year in 2018, Little Pixie!.

I'm flattered that you have my recommendations on your thread. :blush: Hope you enjoy them as much as I did! :D

And congrats on reading so many books so far!! :)

On 03/03/2018 at 8:42 PM, bobblybear said:

Have a great reading year in 2018, Little Pixie!.

I'm flattered that you have my recommendations on your thread. :blush: Hope you enjoy them as much as I did! :D

And congrats on reading so many books so far!! :)

Thank you ! :D

I`ve managed to get vastly behind with reviews already. :blush:

10 hours ago, Athena said:

Some great looking covers you have there :D! I see you have received Tolstoy and the Purple Chair, I hope you enjoy it and all of the other books :D!

Thank you ! :D The Tolstoy book`s a lovely used copy, too. :)

I was thinking of waiting till all my books arrived before posting a pic, but then realised that there will always be new books arriving... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

So, I finally finished Jo Dereske`s Miss Zukas, Librarian mysteries, reading the final four book one after another. :) Written by a real-life librarian, Helma ( `Wilhelmina` ) Zukas is a Lithuanian -American, very prim and a bit OCD, working in a small town in Washington State as a librarian , who somehow keeps stumbling across mysteries, alongside her best friend Ruth, an extrovert artist. Helma might`ve come across as a stereotypical librarian, but the writing gives her life and warmth, although Helma does do `librarian-type` things -  for instance, Helma adopts a cat ( Boy Cat Zukas ) , but that`s because he`s an injured stray no-one else wants and even though she`s a bit scared of cats, she gradually comes to like him. 

There`s also Helma`s Maybe-Boyfriend who`s the Chief of Police, Miss Moon ( Head of the Library and a bit New Age ) , Helma`s widowed Mother and  her aged Aunt, who keeps her supplied with traditional Lithuanian food. 

There are 12 books in the series, involving fun events like Helma taking part in a canoe race, getting trapped in a snowbound cabin with Ruth ( and a murderer ), working in a Native-American Library and one where Boy Cat Zukas goes missing ( spoiler alert ! Everything works out okay. ;) )

It`s a charming mystery series - and if you like this sort of thing - it`s worth a read. :D

Amazon - Miss Zukas and The Library Murders ( Book 1 ) 

Edited by Little Pixie

8 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm glad you enjoyed this book series :)!! Shame it's finished now!

It`s a bit sad that it`s over, but the ending was lovely - a nice, bittersweet wrapping-things-up, but pointing you in the direction things would go in the future. :D

The Shocking Pink Hat - Frances Crane ( 1946 )

Set just after WW2, this is the 8th book in the Pat and Jean Abbott mystery series. Pat and Jean are living temporarily in a San Francisco flat, this time sadly without usual family members Pancho the Daschund and Toby the Cat, due to housing restrictions. Returning home one foggy night after dinner, they hear the sound of a car crashing and rush to investigate. The driver is found dead at the scene and it initially looks like a tragic accident... but why are there mysterious footsteps heard just after the crash, and to whom does the shocking pink hat in the car belong to... Pat and Jean are pulled into the investigation, in a beautifully described San Francisco. 

' The night-fog now lay over the hill thick, wet and icily cold. As we walked the streetlamps showed up one at a time and looked like blurs of cold fire'.

A lovely vintage read. :)

I received a free e-book copy ; this is an unbiased review.

Edited by Little Pixie

On 09/03/2018 at 7:04 PM, Little Pixie said:

Latest book haul. :)

DSC01163.JPG

Ooooh, lovely books :wub:

The Shocking Pink Hat sounds good. Definitely my type of genre, at the mo.

1 hour ago, Marie H said:

Ooooh, lovely books :wub:

The Shocking Pink Hat sounds good. Definitely my type of genre, at the mo.

I`m on a bit of a Frances Crane kick atm; they are a bit expensive in the newer editions, but I picked up a few older copies quite cheaply. :) It`s a series which really rewards reading in order, but they are standalones.

8 hours ago, Athena said:

Wow, you are reading books so quickly :o:)! It's nice you're writing some reviews/thoughts :).

I did buy a `real` copy of The Shocking Pink Hat, but I later got a free copy as an ebook. So, I`ve edited the review to say that I got a freebie  and it`s an unbiased review.

7 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

I`m on a bit of a Frances Crane kick atm; they are a bit expensive in the newer editions, but I picked up a few older copies quite cheaply. :) It`s a series which really rewards reading in order, but they are standalones.

Yes, I looked the Amazon books for Frances Crane, but the new paperback were quite expensive. I’m trying not to buy any books, just for a while, so I’m will be on Kindle Unlimited for 3 months for £1.99 :). I’m having lots of fun with the British Library Crime Classics. But I’ve got second hand copy of The Turquoise Shop (Pat and Jean Abbott Mystery #1) on my wish list.

2 hours ago, Marie H said:

Yes, I looked the Amazon books for Frances Crane, but the new paperback were quite expensive. I’m trying not to buy any books, just for a while, so I’m will be on Kindle Unlimited for 3 months for £1.99 :). I’m having lots of fun with the British Library Crime Classics. But I’ve got second hand copy of The Turquoise Shop (Pat and Jean Abbott Mystery #1) on my wish list.

I got stupidly behind with reviews - due to reading books instead - but I did list all the KU books I read ( October 2017 onwards ) if that`s any help with choosing your Kindle books. :)

I`m also keeping a list of KU books, for when I get a subscription again. A lot of the Stuart Palmer books are available ; I`ve read - and loved - all the Hildegarde Withers books, though I`ve no idea if the Howie Rook series is as good. :)