Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2018

Little Pixie

5 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

I think you`ll get ahead of me with `books read ` soon, cos I`ll be catching up with newspapers and magazines. ;)

Number of books can be just a bit misleading though!

Edited by willoyd

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Yes ! I found plenty of goodies. :D

I think you`ll get ahead of me with `books read ` soon, cos I`ll be catching up with newspapers and magazines. ;)

:D yay!

Have fun reading the newspapers and magazines :D!!

12 hours ago, willoyd said:

Number of books can be just a bit misleading though!

That's very true!

4 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Yes - they`re mainly mysteries, which don`t tend to be Mighty Tomes. :)

No, but they will still be longer than others - I read a Paddington book in just under an hour the other day! (Counterbalanced a bit by my longest book this year, Battle Cry for Freedom, which I reckon was almost exactly 24 hours of actual reading time!).

17 hours ago, willoyd said:

No, but they will still be longer than others - I read a Paddington book in just under an hour the other day! (Counterbalanced a bit by my longest book this year, Battle Cry for Freedom, which I reckon was almost exactly 24 hours of actual reading time!).

:lol:

Ah, lovely Paddington.. :wub:  I think the longest mysetries* were 5+ hours. :)

* I`ve given up trying to spell it. :ph34r:

On 7/1/2018 at 12:51 PM, Athena said:

It might have been me? At least, I wrote a review on it a while ago when I had read it :). Maybe you learned of it somewhere else though, that's also possible!

It's very possible! :)  I can't remember! I went back to see when you reviewed the book and it was back in 2016. The book was on my 2016 wishlist so it may have gotten on it because of your review! :)

On 7/10/2018 at 11:01 PM, Little Pixie said:

Oof, didn`t see these two posts ! :o I had a peek at the Lauren Graham auto-bio when I got it, and it does look good. :D

Excellent! :smile2:

On 7/10/2018 at 11:01 PM, Little Pixie said:

What with all the movement back and forth of my downstairs books due to the pipes leaking, I have no idea which pile the Vera Dietz book is in now, or many of my other books. It`s entirely possible that I`ll find it soon. Erm, also it`s entirely possible it`ll turn up two years from now. ;)

I'm sorry about the bloody pipes!! :(  No hurries or worries re: the Vera Dietz book, you get to it when you do. You sure have enough other books to read in the meantime! :D

2 hours ago, frankie said:

I'm sorry about the bloody pipes!! :(  No hurries or worries re: the Vera Dietz book, you get to it when you do. You sure have enough other books to read in the meantime! :D

I *may* be able to find a book to read... ;)

So, I finally read my first Round Robin book, The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths. :)

Did I like it ? Yes. Am I glad I read it ? Nooo. :lol:

Spoiler

There`s some ( non-graphic) animal cruelty which really tainted the whole book for me. :(

Other than that, it reminded me of Kathy Reichs` Temperance Brennan books, which I enjoy. :)  The Crossing Places is set in Norfolk and involves an archaeologist ( Ruth Galloway ) at a Norfolk University being co-opted onto a case involving a missing girl. I could`ve done without Ruth calling herself fat repeatedly and I did figure out whodunnit quite early on, but I think this is a book which someone else might really like. There are some vivid descriptions of Ruth`s home in the Saltmarsh and some interesting discussions of Archaeological-type stuff. :) 

2 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I really love this series, just started the new one (The Dark Angel),  I think they're very funny as Ruth is very self-deprecating, one of my favourite series. 

I did take a peek at what happened going on in the series, but it didn`t quite click for me. :) Have you tried the Kathy Reichs ones ?

14 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

I did take a peek at what happened going on in the series, but it didn`t quite click for me. :) Have you tried the Kathy Reichs ones ?

I did read the Kathy Reichs when they first started ,but got bored with them after the first half dozen or so, likewise Patricia Cornwell.

20 hours ago, Hayley said:

That's so cute! Maybe he wanted to read Dewey's Nine Lives :lol:

Hope you enjoy your new books!

:lol:

She. ;)  And yes, she`s quite interested in books, and likes to give them a sniff and a hug.  :wub:

7 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I did read the Kathy Reichs when they first started ,but got bored with them after the first half dozen or so, likewise Patricia Cornwell.

I`ve got a Patricia Cornwell in my TBR ; I found a cheapy charity shop copy to try out. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Patricia Cornwell is pretty popular but I could never get into her books for some reason. I will have to try again sometime.

A little story about Patricia Cornwell. When I lived near Charlottesville, Virginia I lived out in the country (actually kinda in the woods). my neighbor was a Bluegrass musician along with his brother. A fairly well known Archaeoligist and his wife was also part of the group. They would sometimes get together on my neighbors deck outside and play. They would always invite us over. Back to the story, Patricia Cornwell once hired my neighbor and the Bluegrass group to play for her at a party at her house (this was when she lived in Richmond, VA). She sent a helicopter that landed near my house and my neighbors house to pick up my neighbor and the others and flew them to her house in Richmond to entertain at the party. :)

2 hours ago, muggle not said:

Patricia Cornwell is pretty popular but I could never get into her books for some reason. I will have to try again sometime.

A little story about Patricia Cornwell. When I lived near Charlottesville, Virginia I lived out in the country (actually kinda in the woods). my neighbor was a Bluegrass musician along with his brother. A fairly well known Archaeoligist and his wife was also part of the group. They would sometimes get together on my neighbors deck outside and play. They would always invite us over. Back to the story, Patricia Cornwell once hired my neighbor and the Bluegrass group to play for her at a party at her house (this was when she lived in Richmond, VA). She sent a helicopter that landed near my house and my neighbors house to pick up my neighbor and the others and flew them to her house in Richmond to entertain at the party. :)

Sounds like magic times, Muggles :) 

6 hours ago, muggle not said:

That's such a nice story :)!!

• 2 months later...
On 17/08/2018 at 12:52 AM, muggle not said:

I missed this completely ! What a great story. :)  Was that when you lived near Rita Mae Brown ? :)