Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2018

Little Pixie

Hi Little Pixie, I thought that I was not understanding your book log, as it showed 52 books for January, but everyone's posts have confirmed it: I am in awe. :o

I was going to wish you good luck with your reading but I don't think you need it!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Athena said:

Wow, you've got a lot of newspapers to catch up on then (and TV too). Short stories and novellas don't take as much time to read, that's true :). I'll definitely have a look at the Witched Witches of the Midwest series, I have put the first two on my wishlist (and you're in my books recommended to me in 2017 post!).

That's nice to hear :). Signed, wow, that is very lucky :D!

Hurray ! It`s great when your reading impacts on someone else; if I`ve read something that`s brilliant, I almost want to force other people to read it ( I know, not everyone likes the same stuff, but... :lol: )

Yes, I was thrilled to find the books signed ; I found another Save the Kitties book, which - when I looked at it at home -turned out to signed too. The author`s name will come to me later. :)

1 hour ago, Madeleine said:

Mine too, how do you manage it, that's nearly 2 books per day?

I neglected most TV and all newspapers ; I`m gradually working my way through a huge pile of newspapers ( mostly the arts sections of The Times, and just 3 Times news sections to read now, it`s about down to a 40cm pile ). I think the longest book was around 3 hours, so maybe 6 hours reading a day was needed. It is really doable, if you just focus on the books and have the incentive of reading by a certain date or losing access. :D

Plus, I read so many great books, that I rarely felt I was doing a forced read. I genuinely enjoyed picking up the Kindle to keep reading.

I`m starting a new list of Kindle Unlimited books which I`d like to read, and then will get a month`s access towards the end of 2018/beginning of 2019. :)

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:14 PM, Little Pixie said:

New books. :)

DSC01129.JPG

I see a number of books by Helen Macinnes in your recent purchase. I read many of her books ages and ages ago and enjoyed them.

I am about 65% into Any Witch Way You Can and am really enjoying it. No question, I will now read the remainder of the "Witch" books.

Since you seem to need a few more books on your TBR list I will recommend one that I really enjoyed and have recommended it previously to others. I can almost gurantee that you will like it: Wish You Well by David Baldacci. It is completely different from most of Baldacci's books.

16 hours ago, muggle not said:

I see a number of books by Helen Macinnes in your recent purchase. I read many of her books ages and ages ago and enjoyed them.

I am about 65% into Any Witch Way You Can and am really enjoying it. No question, I will now read the remainder of the "Witch" books.

Since you seem to need a few more books on your TBR list I will recommend one that I really enjoyed and have recommended it previously to others. I can almost gurantee that you will like it: Wish You Well by David Baldacci. It is completely different from most of Baldacci's books.

Thanks for the recommendation, I shall take a look. :D Obviously, I need to get my TBR over 1,000 at some point. :lol:

I`ve read two Helen Macinnes books - Above Suspicion, and The Venetian Affair. I was really pleased to find her books so cheaply ( though, they have such lurid 70`s covers ! A bit offputting ).

Hurray, a Witchy convert. I`m so pleased. :018: Book 2 is even better. :D

7 hours ago, Madeleine said:

A lovely thought but not really possible at work!  Did you have any food/sleep breaks?!

:lol:

I was reading till quite late. ;) H mm, if I`d stuck to sandwiches, I could`ve read whilst eating and managed even more books. * Takes note* :)

I`ve completely neglected reviews whilst I was doing the 3-month Kindle Unlimited mega read, so time to start looking at the great books I got to read. :)

These are the books I read :

The Sons of Adam - Eva Garcia Saenz

Jilo - JD Horn

Whispers of the walker - EE Holmes

Plague of the Sahttered - EE Holmes

Timebound - Rysa Walker

Time`s Echo - Rysa Walker

Time`s Edge - Rysa Walker

Time`s Mirror - Rysa Walker

time`s Divide - rysa Walker

Simon says - rysa Walker

The Dead detective - JR Rain

Awakening of the Seer - EE Holmes

ghosts of christmas Present - JR Rain

A dickens of a Murder - Jim and Joyce Lavene

The Librarian - Christy Sloat

The Incredible Crime - Lois Austen-leigh

Crimson Snow - Ed. martin edwards

capital crimes - Ed. martin edwards

Hide in tijme - Anna faversham

A Spirited tail - Leighann Dobbs

Death at the Dog - Jaonna cannan

Mystery in the Channel - Freeman Wills Croft

Intruder in the Dark - George Bellairs

A Mew to a Kill - Leighann Dobbs

Paws and Effect - Leighann Dobbs

Stop Press - Michael Innes

The Secret Vanguard - Michael Innes

There came both Mist and Snow - Michael Innes

Probabale paws - Leighann Dobbs

Spell Disaster - Leighann Dobbs

The man of Dangerous Secrets - Maxwell Marsh

Rogues` holiday - Maxwell Marsh

Nothing to croak about - Leighann Dobbs

How I Changed my Life - Shelley Wilson

China Trade - SJ Rozan

Deadbeat Dad - JR Rain

Cry Wolf - Leighann Dobbs

Murder in Piccadilly - Charles Kingston

Something Magical - Leighann Dobbs

Double Crossing Delancey - SJ Rozan

Resorting to murder - ED. by Martin Edwards

Coming Clean - Kimberley Rae Miller

Mandarin Plaid - SJ Rozan

Lament for a Maker - Michael Innes

Curiously Enchanted - Leighann Dobbs

Concourse - SJ Rozan

Beautiful Bodies - Kimberley Rae Miller

No Colder Place - SJ Rozan

The Last Page - Libby Fischer Hellman

Serpents in Eden - Ed. by Martin Edwards

Sing the Four Quarteres - Tanya Huff

The Fire`s Stone - Tanya Huff

The Poisoned Chocolates Case - Anthony Berkeley

Every Witch Way but Wicked - Amanda M Lee

Witching you were here - Amanda M Lee

Witching on a Star - Amanda M Lee

Something to witch about - Amanda M Lee

Witch me Luck - Amanda M Lee

Careful what you witch for - Amanda M Lee

Wicked brew - Amanda M Lee

On a Witch and a prayer - Amanda M Lee

Bewitched - Amanda M Lee

The Christmas Witch - Amanda M Lee

Life`s a Witch - Amanda M Lee

A Solstice Celebration - Amanda M Lee

You Only Witch Once - Amanda M Lee

Charms and Misdemeanours - Amanda M Lee

The Trouble with Witches - Amanda M Lee

Witchdependance Day - Amanda M Lee

Happy Witchgiving - Amanda M Lee

Merry Witchmas - Amanda M Lee

Four Leaf Clover - Amanda M Lee

Murder Most Witchy - Amanda M Lee

A Witch before Dying - Amanda M Lee

Any Witch Way you can - Amanda M Lee

Edited by Little Pixie

The Sons of Adam - Eva Garcia Saenz

Book 2 of The Immortal Collection, by a Spanish author. No spoilers, so I can`t really review the book at all ! but - it`s a trashy, page turning read, rather than an epic of literature.  The basic story is about Adriana, an archaeologist, who gets a new museum job in Santander, Spain ... and begins to suspect there`s some deep secret about her employers. It`s urban fantasy ( though, a new take on the genre ), so you can guess what`s going on. :)

Jilo - JD Horn

Book 4 of the Witching Savannah series. This is a prequel, exploring the back story of Jilo, one of the Witches in the books, through the prism of Black History in Georgia in the first half of the 20thC. At times upsetting, it`s an immersive experience and a great read. :)

EE Holmes books 4,5,6 ( following on from the Gateway Trilogy, these are books 1,2,3 of the Gateway Trackers ) - Whispers of the walker, Plague of the Shattered, Awakening of the Seer

Too many spoilers in the first book from EE Holmes ( Spirit Legacy ) to do proper reviews, but all the old favourite charcaters are back for more adventures. It`s a take on the urban fantasy genre involving ghosts ( think of Harry Potter, but with a female protagonist and taking place at University or Post-Grad level ) . One of my favourite new(ish) authors, I loved reading about what the characters are getting up to now. While I did manage to work out early on, what was really happening in Book 5, it didn`t spoil my enjoyment. :)

Rysa Walker`s The Chronos Files ( 3 books starting with Timebound, 3 novellas )

Teenager Kate receives a medallion from her Grandmother and is suddenly off on a time travel adventure. One of those ` there`s a baddie about and only Kate can save the Timeline ` thrillers. Liked it, but found it a bit too dark for me towards the end.

Edited by Little Pixie

Yay for more books :D!

And I hope you enjoy the Shannara Chronicles too. I haven't watched it yet (but I did hear that the show may not be continuing on :().

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Banana Yoshimoto books, as I've read two of his novellas and liked them. I have thought about buying some of his novels, but haven't yet done so (not all are available here I think). I also like the cover of The Nakano Thrift Shop, I know nothing of the book but looked it up and it sounds good! I look forward to hear your thoughts on it. And hey I see Banana Cream Pie Murder, a nice cover too. I hope you enjoy the Gilmore Girls book, I should still see more of that show.

I hope you enjoy all of your books and also the TV show :)!

2 hours ago, Athena said:

Yay for more books :D!

And I hope you enjoy the Shannara Chronicles too. I haven't watched it yet (but I did hear that the show may not be continuing on :().

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Banana Yoshimoto books, as I've read two of his novellas and liked them. I have thought about buying some of his novels, but haven't yet done so (not all are available here I think). I also like the cover of The Nakano Thrift Shop, I know nothing of the book but looked it up and it sounds good! I look forward to hear your thoughts on it. And hey I see Banana Cream Pie Murder, a nice cover too. I hope you enjoy the Gilmore Girls book, I should still see more of that show.

I hope you enjoy all of your books and also the TV show :)!

Thanks ! :) Apparently Banana is a girl`s name; I read Kitchen and loved it ( last year, I think ?  ) I did read another of Hiromi Kawakami`s books, Strange Weather in Tokyo - I really liked the prose.

That`s the Gilmore Girls DVD, the 4 TV movies they made for Netflix ( I should`ve put ` book and disc haul` ) ; no idea when I`ll watch the discs, I have a bit of a backlog ( and a video backlog, and a book backlog... There may be a theme here. :lol:)

Noo, I hadn`t realised that the Shannara Chronicles might not be picked up again. :( I`m waiting for the S2 blu-ray to come out in an English version ( there`s a Nordic version, with an English soundtrack, I think ).

It`s always a treat to get a big Amazon parcel. :D I have a few more books to come from the US too. :)

Total list, plus pre-orders :

The Nakano Thrift Shop - Hiromi Kawakami,

Origin - Dan Brown,

Soulful Simplicity - Courtney Carver,

The Cambridge Murders - Glyn Daniel, 

Goodbye Tsugumi, Lizard - Banana Yoshimoto,

Jane Austen : A Life - Claire Tomalin,

Tel Aviv Noir ( A short story collection )

How the Finch stole Christmas - Donna Andrews

A Hiss before Dying - Rita Mae Brown

The Odd Woman and the City, Fierce Attachments - Vivian Gornick

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair - Nina Sankovitch

Edited by Little Pixie

17 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Thanks ! :) Apparently Banana is a girl`s name; I read Kitchen and loved it ( last year, I think ?  ) I did read another of Hiromi Kawakami`s books, Strange Weather in Tokyo - I really liked the prose.

Good to know :)! I've added Strange Weather in Tokyo to my wishlist!

That`s the Gilmore Girls DVD, the 4 TV movies they made for Netflix ( I should`ve put ` book and disc haul` ) ; no idea when I`ll watch the discs, I have a bit of a backlog ( and a video backlog, and a book backlog... There may be a theme here. :lol:)

Oh whoops, sorry my bad! I hope you enjoy the TV movies! I didn't know those were released on DVD, that's good news. I have a backlog too, of books and video :lol:.

Noo, I hadn`t realised that the Shannara Chronicles might not be picked up again. :( I`m waiting for the S2 blu-ray to come out in an English version ( there`s a Nordic version, with an English soundtrack, I think ).

I hope season 2 comes out soon! Sorry to tell you of the bad news :(. There is still the hope that someone else will pick it back up, but I don't know if that will happen.

It`s always a treat to get a big Amazon parcel. :D I have a few more books to come from the US too. :)

Total list, plus pre-orders :

The Nakano Thrift Shop - Hiromi Kawakami,

Origin - Dan Brown,

Soulful Simplicity - Courtney Carver,

The Cambridge Murders - Glyn Daniel, 

Goodbye Tsugumi, Lizard - Banana Yoshimoto,

Jane Austen : A Life - Claire Tomalin,

Tel Aviv Noir ( A short story collection )

How the Finch stole Christmas - Donna Andrews

A Hiss before Dying - Rita Mae Brown

The Odd Woman and the City, Fierce Attachments - Vivian Gornick

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair - Nina Sankovitch

Goodbye Tsugumi and Lizard are both not available from the Dutch website, but I added a few other Banana Yoshimoto books to my wishlist (that are available).

I hope you enjoy Tolstoy and the Purple Chair when it gets there :)!

I hope you like all of your books :D. I'm still waiting for a few of mine too.

6 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope season 2 comes out soon! Sorry to tell you of the bad news :(. There is still the hope that someone else will pick it back up, but I don't know if that will happen.

I hope you enjoy Tolstoy and the Purple Chair when it gets there :)!

I hope you like all of your books :D. I'm still waiting for a few of mine too.

I suppose it`s so difficult to get fantasy series made anyway, so it`s nice that it lasted for 2 seasons. :)

And thanks. :D

18 hours ago, Brian. said:

I've read The Nakano Thrift shop which I bought based entirely on the cover :D

I didn't love it but I thought it was ok, hope you enjoy it.

I'm glad you thought it was okay :).

I suppose it`s so difficult to get fantasy series made anyway, so it`s nice that it lasted for 2 seasons. :)

And thanks. :D

That's true :).