Sign in to follow this  
Bel-ami

US classics

I've realised that my reading of US 'classics' is almost nil, so this year I'm going to try and get through some of the major omissions which focus on the development of US society or moments in history - maybe then I'll understand Americans a bit more!

As it stands, I'm going to read / re-read* the following - please feel free to recommend any that you think I should add.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer*

Uncle Tom's Cabin

Little Women

The Red Badge of Courage*

The Scarlet Letter

The Age of Innocence

The Grapes of Wrath

Of Mice and Men

The Great Gatsby*

To Kill A Mockingbird

The Catcher In The Rye

Catch 22*

I loved The Scarlet Letter, I hope you enjoy it!

Of the American classics I have read I'd definitely recommend The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper, The Crucible by Arthur Miller and The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton. 

I also want to say Edgar Allan Poe (I read a really good collection of his short stories last year, published by Heron Books) but I don't think that really fits with your criteria of moments in history.  

I would say The Sound and the Fury belongs on your list. Also, Their Eyes Were Watching God would be an important one as it comes from the viewpoint of an African-American woman.

Thanks Hayley - have to admit I had forgotten Last of The Mohicans (which I have indeed read before) - I'll check out the House of Mirth for sure.

and thanks Cechak - good call on Huck Finn and I will investigate the others also - that will all keep me very busy.

My favourite US classic is McTeague, a Story of San Francisco - Frank Norris. It was a achance find in a second hand bookshop and I loved every word of it. I've never manage to finish anything else of his though.

I just finished the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, which I thought was very good. It was funny and entertaining, and historically interesting.