Searching for a book featuring Mary Stuart

My sister saw a book a few weeks back, she thinks on the waterstones website, about a girl who can do magic (or has something to do with magic) and she works for Mary queen of Scots. 

She showed me the book at the time but now neither of can remember what it was called or who wrote it, it's so annoying! Really hoping someone will know what it was!

On 13/01/2018 at 8:46 PM, Hayley said:

My sister saw a book a few weeks back, she thinks on the waterstones website, about a girl who can do magic (or has something to do with magic) and she works for Mary queen of Scots. 

She showed me the book at the time but now neither of can remember what it was called or who wrote it, it's so annoying! Really hoping someone will know what it was!

Two books jump to mind, both fitting parts of what you recall but neither entirely:

The Queen's Own Fool by Jane Yolen and Robert Harris, where the heroine, Nicola, goes to work for Mary as a jester.

The Betrayal by Mary Hooper, part of the At The House of the Magician trilogy, where Lucy, who works for Queen Elizabeth I's magician (alchemist) Doctor Dee, gets involved with the Mary Queen of Scots plot.

Hope it's one of those!

15 hours ago, Hayley said:

Sadly it's neither of those! But, again, they both sound like books she'd love so thank you :)

Give it another go then, although I'm less confident of these - but after this I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas!

Spy for the Queen of Scots by Theresa Breslin: girl working for Mary, but no magic.

The Flower Reader by Elizabeth Loupas: young woman using magic (magic of flowers) to help try and get casket to Mary, but doesn't work directly for her.

The Queen's Mary by Sarah Gristwood: story of Mary Seton, one of Queen Mary's ladies-in-waiting from childhood; again no magic..

I think we've found it! There's a trilogy, 'The Tudor Witch Trilogy' and the witch in question works for Mary's sister. The middle book, 'Witchfall' talks about Mary in the blurb so we think that must have been it. To be honest none of the covers look familiar, but still this seems too similar in plot to not be the right one.

On 16/01/2018 at 9:10 AM, willoyd said:

Give it another go then, although I'm less confident of these - but after this I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas!

Spy for the Queen of Scots by Theresa Breslin: girl working for Mary, but no magic.

The Flower Reader by Elizabeth Loupas: young woman using magic (magic of flowers) to help try and get casket to Mary, but doesn't work directly for her.

The Queen's Mary by Sarah Gristwood: story of Mary Seton, one of Queen Mary's ladies-in-waiting from childhood; again no magic..

Thank you so much for the help, it was following your ideas on goodreads that led us to find it!

2 hours ago, Hayley said:

Thank you so much for the help, it was following your ideas on goodreads that led us to find it!

One way or another....glad that it helped!  What has amazed me, is quite how popular Mary Queen of Scots is as a subject - these were just the ones I knew enough about to dig out, but in doing so, so many others came to the surface. You could spend your entire time just reading books about her!