The Last Film You Saw - 2018

Athena

I watched Peter Rabbit last week with my son, which was mostly quite irritating (mainly because of James Cordon's voice acting), but it did have some amusing bits in it. Of course, my 5 year old loved it! :rolleyes: 

Also been trying to fill in the gaps of mr Marvel film knowledge, after having fallen asleep through most of Phase 2 in the cinema. So have revisited Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Also watched Justice League which was fine to begin with but then I lost interest for the last half of it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to see The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society today.  As charming and heartwarming as the book, and it looked beautiful.  It's not a gritty warm film by any means, and rather sentimental, but I like that in a film at times.  Lily James is fast becoming one of my favourite actors (especially after my favourite film of last year, Baby Driver).

Also saw Thoroughbreds earlier in the week with my friend.  A small indie film, which I saw described as a cross between American Psycho and Heathers.  That's a pretty good description - not graphic violence, but quirky in a good way and we both enjoyed it a lot.

Last night I caught The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie on television which I haven't seen for a while.  I loved this film enormously as a teenager, and while I did still enjoy it, I did feel much more uncomfortable by the art teacher and his sexual conduct now that I'm older.

Finally watched Gone Girl during the week, it was ok, stuck fairly closely to the book from what I can remember, and I think Nick was slightly more sympathetic than he was in the book.  Amy though - what a case!

We rewatched The Lego Batman Movie, which was a lot of fun.

Then a few days ago we watched Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi. I liked it but there were also a couple of things I liked less (things that didn't quite make sense to me, I can't remember now what they were though). But overall I did enjoy seeing the movie.

9 hours ago, Athena said:

Then a few days ago we watched Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi. I liked it but there were also a couple of things I liked less (things that didn't quite make sense to me, I can't remember now what they were though).

The plot and the characterisation, probably.

18 hours ago, Raven said:

The plot and the characterisation, probably.

At the time of watching it was more specific than that, but it's true, a couple of things about the plot and with the characters didn't quite make sense to me.

^ I watched it for the second time on Sunday.  I didn't find it as jarring as the first viewing, and having watched it again I can now see why they made some of the choices they did, but I couldn't shake a feeling of apathy whilst I watching it.

I've watched a few movies lately:

Ant-Man

The Secret Life of Pets

Captain America: Civil War

Jungle (stars Daniel Radcliffe as a man who gets lost in the Bolivian Amazon...extremely good, check it out!)

On 24/04/2018 at 1:51 PM, Raven said:

^ I watched it for the second time on Sunday.  I didn't find it as jarring as the first viewing, and having watched it again I can now see why they made some of the choices they did, but I couldn't shake a feeling of apathy whilst I watching it.

We watched it on Saturday.  It was my OH's first viewing and my second.  I enjoyed it much more this time, although I can't put my finger on why, whereas my OH loved it straight away.  I still prefer The Force Awakens and Rogue One, but The Last Jedi isn't too far behind.  I think we're going to try and watch the DVD extras tonight.  The next spin-off film Solo can't be far away now, can it?  

I plan to go and watch Every Day tomorrow.  I read a teaser in a newspaper and I like the premise of the story. A wandering soul that wakes up in a different body every day. Sometimes randomly inhabiting a male body, sometimes a female.  But somebody notices and becomes interested. Apparently it is from a book.  I am hoping it concentrates on the weird supernatural element of the story not the romance otherwise I am going to look pretty singular sitting there in a cinema full of teen girls.

7 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

The next spin-off film Solo can't be far away now, can it?  

Next month, I believe (this is how apathetic I am towards Star Wars these days; I don't even know - or really care - when the net film is out!).

8 hours ago, Raven said:

Next month, I believe (this is how apathetic I am towards Star Wars these days; I don't even know - or really care - when the net film is out!).

I got to that stage about a decade ago!

10 hours ago, vodkafan said:

I plan to go and watch Every Day tomorrow.  I read a teaser in a newspaper and I like the premise of the story. A wandering soul that wakes up in a different body every day. Sometimes randomly inhabiting a male body, sometimes a female.  But somebody notices and becomes interested. Apparently it is from a book.  I am hoping it concentrates on the weird supernatural element of the story not the romance otherwise I am going to look pretty singular sitting there in a cinema full of teen girls.

It's based on the book Every Day by David Levithan. I haven't read the book myself (it's on my TBR) so I don't know how romance heavy it is. But given that it's YA I would presume the romance will be at least a part of the story.

10 hours ago, vodkafan said:

I got to that stage about a decade ago!

I didn't care for the prequels at all, but The Force Awakens was fun and Rogue One was pretty good as well, but The Last Jedi just blew it all out of the window again.

Looking forward to seeing the new Avengers film, though!

So on the first day of my holiday where the weather is acceptable, do I get out in the fresh air and go for a nice long walk? No, I sit in a dark room for three hours watching people hit each other.

Yep, it was Avengers: Infinity War

Major spoilers ahead!

Spoiler

This went a lot of places I wasn't expecting (and I'm not just talking about Edinburgh).

The end was sign-posted all the way through the film, but I didn't see what was coming.

Problem is, they've killed off so many characters (some of whom we know are coming back for films that have already been rostered) that there is no way this isn't going to have a push of a massive reset button in some way, which kind of undermines everyone dying.

Still enjoyed it, though it was rather intense!

I watched 'Before I Got To Sleep' today and thought it was a very good film. I haven't read the book this film is adapted from, so I can't say whether it is different from the book, but it was a totally gripping film.

Edited by karen.d

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, Athena said:

It's based on the book Every Day by David Levithan. I haven't read the book myself (it's on my TBR) so I don't know how romance heavy it is. But given that it's YA I would presume the romance will be at least a part of the story.

I never went to watch it in the end. I read a review which said the metaphysical elements were almost completely ignored and it was just a standard teen romance.

15 hours ago, karen.d said:

I watched 'Before I Got To Sleep' today and thought it was a very good film. I haven't read the book this film is adapted from, so I can't say whether it is different from the book, but it was a totally gripping film.

It's been a while since I both saw and read this, but I think the film stayed fairly close to the book, obviously very condensed - it was OK.

Infinity Wars. Very underwhelming. It was one big action with too many characters, totally misplaced humor, and exactly what Raven said in his spoiler tag. Ambitious, with some amazing moments, and enjoyable, but ultimately missed the mark.

3 hours ago, Nollaig said:

It was one big action with too many characters...

I thought that was one thing they handled quite well; the characters all got some screen time without any one character dominating.

4 hours ago, Madeleine said:

It's been a while since I both saw and read this, but I think the film stayed fairly close to the book, obviously very condensed - it was OK.

It's interesting that it stayed quite close to the book, as it's usual that the film is never as good as the book.

On 5/2/2018 at 2:39 PM, Raven said:

I thought that was one thing they handled quite well; the characters all got some screen time without any one character dominating.

They handled it as well as they could, but there were too many characters, with at least 1 core character doing basically nothing but showing up and kicking a bit of ass a couple of times. And I'd much rather have seen that character than other, imo poorer, characters who got bigger or more plot-centric roles.

On 03/05/2018 at 3:23 PM, Nollaig said:

They handled it as well as they could, but there were too many characters, with at least 1 core character doing basically nothing but showing up and kicking a bit of ass a couple of times. And I'd much rather have seen that character than other, imo poorer, characters who got bigger or more plot-centric roles.

So you're a Steve Rogers fan, I'm guessing? 

On 5/4/2018 at 6:54 PM, Raven said:

So you're a Steve Rogers fan, I'm guessing? 

I was thinking of Widow when i said that, even though I'm fairly indifferent to her and Cap. But I'd still take them over any GotG characters. I like Stark and Banner and Paul Bettany's face.  Also love Black Panther, but he's not core.