The Last Film You Saw - 2018

Athena

I was planning to go and see Black Panther at the Cineworld complex at the end of the road where I work, but having found out they have put their prices up - again - to a now eye watering £12.50 a screening (2D, non-IMAX) they can jog on. 

Looks like I'll be waiting for the Blu-ray...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Raven said:

I was planning to go and see Black Panther at the Cineworld complex at the end of the road where I work, but having found out they have put their prices up - again - to a now eye watering £12.50 a screening (2D, non-IMAX) they can jog on. 

Looks like I'll be waiting for the Blu-ray...

I saw the trailer for this, and at the beginning I thought it was a Science Fiction film, but when I saw it was just going to be another Superhero film I lost interest.

I have a Cineworld unlimited card which works well financially for me because as long as I watch 2 movies a month it pays for itself and I generally watch one a week. I agree with the distractions that occur when watching movies. I tend to go during the day in the week when it's quieter but the other day I was watching 3 Billboards and an old couple across the other side of the cinema were having a full on conversation so loud I could hear it.

hey, lots of Studio Ghibli fans :)

On 1/27/2018 at 6:56 PM, Raven said:

Studio Ghibli films are fantastic! They are all pretty good, but I'd recommend Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

Spirited Away was the first SG film for me, and i have Princess Mononoke to watch now.

On 1/28/2018 at 12:06 AM, Little Pixie said:

I saw When Marnie was Here (oslt)  recently ; a lovely film with a moving ending. :)

I saw the trailer for this one, another on the wishlist now! :D

On 1/29/2018 at 3:10 PM, Nollaig said:

Just to note Your Name isn't Student Ghibli - it's by Makoto Shinkai. I make the distinction because I've been a fan of his for years, and Your Name is now the highest grossing anime film of all time, surpassing Spirited Away, so the distinction is important (certainly to him!) and also I think for crediting him appropriately. His films are superb, but tend to be lumped in with Studio Ghibli (a huge inspiration for him), but I don't really like Ghibli apart from Totoro and I adore Shinkai. Heartily recommend Five Centimetres Per Second, also by him,  and the OVA Voices of a Distant Star, which he animated and did the voice work for at home with his wife. 

Ah, I thought that Your Name was a Student Ghibli film (I blame Amazon, as it did had YN on the list of Studio Ghibli search, but I was confused  between Your Name and Ocean Waves :blush: . Never mind, I have both to watch now. 

I admit that i am only starting on Studio Ghibli recently, and haven't got into a particular director/writer yet. So far my of Studio Ghibli favourite is Grave of the Fireflies, which is not the most feel-good type of film! :unsure: :D

Five Centimetres Per Second is on my wishlist now.

On 2/4/2018 at 11:02 AM, Marie H said:

hey, lots of Studio Ghibli fans :)

Spirited Away was the first SG film for me, and i have Princess Mononoke to watch now.

I saw the trailer for this one, another on the wishlist now! :D

Ah, I thought that Your Name was a Student Ghibli film (I blame Amazon, as it did had YN on the list of Studio Ghibli search, but I was confused  between Your Name and Ocean Waves :blush: . Never mind, I have both to watch now. 

I admit that i am only starting on Studio Ghibli recently, and haven't got into a particular director/writer yet. So far my of Studio Ghibli favourite is Grave of the Fireflies, which is not the most feel-good type of film! :unsure: :D

Five Centimetres Per Second is on my wishlist now.

No worries at all, it's a very common mistake and as I say the only reason I point it out is coz I'm a Shinkai fangirl who wants him to get his due credit :D

I love Grave of the Fireflies too, great film. Really hope you enjoy 5cm!

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see Phantom Thread in the week.  I really, really enjoyed it, but I can't tell you why!  It didn't feel anything like the 2 hour 10 minute running time, but there's not much of a story.  It's beautifully played, the cinematography is wonderful, and the score compliments it brilliantly, but nothing much happens for probably the first hour, maybe hour and a half, and normally this would irritate me enormously, but here, I was absolutely captivated.

On 06/02/2018 at 10:44 AM, frankie said:

I've watched three movies this year, Police Academy 3: Back in Training, What Women Want and How Do You Know. I hope to see more interesting movies soon!

Is What Women Want 

Spoiler

Where Mel Gibson gets electrocuted and can hear women’s thoughts?

Went to see Lady Bird this week.  I did love it, but have to say I was surprised at a full screening on a Wednesday night and by how much the whole audience enjoyed it.  When I've seen films like this in the past, they tend to be quieter screenings, but this one was full and there was lots of laughter and some wry, knowing chuckles too.  It's not a comedy as such, but it's a very heartwarming story of growing up in a small town in America and her story of her last year of high school and applying for college.  Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalfe were both brilliant, and it was an excellent cast all around, and felt very honest and truthful.

Watched Your Name last night. It was okay....I liked it, but nowhere near as 5 Centimeters Per Second, for meTrying to follow the plot was.....hard and exasperating :huh: :blush:

I saw I, Tonya last night. I thought it was brilliant. I don't know how factual it is on every single count, but it was certainly illuminating and a great watch, darkly comic and tragic at the same time. It will stay with me for a while I think.

Due to the snow I have seen 2 movies at the cinema in the last few days, I, Tonya and Red Sparrow. I enjoyed both for different reasons and Red Sparrow as a lot more graphic than I thought it would be. I plan to go and see Ladybird at some point tomorrow as well.

Finally watched the new Murder on the Orient Express, and now that I've heard that there's going to be a sequel, and that it's going to be based on my FAVORITE Agatha Christie book, I'm so excited! :yahoo:

3 hours ago, Echo said:

Finally watched the new Murder on the Orient Express, and now that I've heard that there's going to be a sequel, and that it's going to be based on my FAVORITE Agatha Christie book, I'm so excited! :yahoo:

I loved MotOE!  I saw it at the cinema, and thought it was really good - not without faults, but very enjoyable.  Looking forward to it coming on the television so I can watch it with my other half as he hasn't seen it yet. :) 

We watched a film called Grandma last night with Lily Tomlin, and we both thought it was great.  An charming treat of a film, and only 79 minutes long so my OH managed to stay awake!