The Last Film You Saw - 2018

Athena

Have you seen any films recently? Tell us about it in this topic :).

The last film I saw was It's a Wonderful Life. I hadn't seen it before, and while it felt a bit slow in the beginning, in the end it all made sense.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched a couple of very different films last night, Mr. Holmes and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

I thought Mr. Holmes was good, Ian McKellen pretty much carried the film, but it was pretty bleak in places.

Guardians was good, but not as good as the first one (though the intro and teenage Groot were both very funny).

I really liked Home too.

The last film I watched was Star Trek: First Contact, which I thought was quite enjoyable. I can't watch films as often as I'd like, but I'm going to try to rest and take it easy for some of today so I can hopefully watch another film tonight (as of yet undecided which one).

I watched a few movies in the last 10 days. Star Wars:The Last Jedi (ok but nothing special), Molly's Game (enjoyable movie, typical Sorkin, load of dialogue), and Darkest Hour (great performance from Oldman but the movie lacked something for me).

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Moomins in the Riviera and loved it:D.

On 19/01/2018 at 7:59 AM, Athena said:

We watched Your Name and really liked it (Thanks @Nollaig for your recommendation :)!). I really enjoyed watching it.

That’s good to hear/read. I’m getting into Studio Ghibli at the moment, and I now have DVDs to watch- Your Name and My Neighbor Totoro.

20 hours ago, Marie H said:

That’s good to hear/read. I’m getting into Studio Ghibli at the moment, and I now have DVDs to watch- Your Name and My Neighbor Totoro.

I like both of those! They're quite different from each other, so what you want to watch might depend on your mood :).

17 hours ago, Raven said:

Studio Ghibli films are fantastic! They are all pretty good, but I'd recommend Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

I would recommend those too, both great films!

11 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

I saw When Marnie was Here (oslt)  recently ; a lovely film with a moving ending. :)

I really liked this one too :)!

The most recent film we watched (re-watched) was Star Trek 8: Insurrection. It was nice to see it again.

On 1/27/2018 at 4:02 PM, Marie H said:

Watched Moomins in the Riviera and loved it:D.

On 1/27/2018 at 6:56 PM, Raven said:

Studio Ghibli films are fantastic! They are all pretty good, but I'd recommend Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

On 1/28/2018 at 12:06 PM, Athena said:

I like both of those! They're quite different from each other, so what you want to watch might depend on your mood :).

Just to note Your Name isn't Student Ghibli - it's by Makoto Shinkai. I make the distinction because I've been a fan of his for years, and Your Name is now the highest grossing anime film of all time, surpassing Spirited Away, so the distinction is important (certainly to him!) and also I think for crediting him appropriately. His films are superb, but tend to be lumped in with Studio Ghibli (a huge inspiration for him), but I don't really like Ghibli apart from Totoro and I adore Shinkai. Heartily recommend Five Centimetres Per Second, also by him,  and the OVA Voices of a Distant Star, which he animated and did the voice work for at home with his wife. 

The last film I watched was the new Blade Runner with Ryan Gosling - meh. Before that, Arrival - excellent alien 'invasion' film focusing on attempts at communication using a world expert translator. Had the heart that Interstellar lacked while being pretty epic at the same time!

19 hours ago, Nollaig said:

Just to note Your Name isn't Student Ghibli - it's by Makoto Shinkai. I make the distinction because I've been a fan of his for years, and Your Name is now the highest grossing anime film of all time, surpassing Spirited Away, so the distinction is important (certainly to him!) and also I think for crediting him appropriately. His films are superb, but tend to be lumped in with Studio Ghibli (a huge inspiration for him), but I don't really like Ghibli apart from Totoro and I adore Shinkai. Heartily recommend Five Centimetres Per Second, also by him,  and the OVA Voices of a Distant Star, which he animated and did the voice work for at home with his wife.

That's true., I assumed Marie H knew that, but it's good of you to post about it. I would also highly recommend Five Centimetres Per Second and Voices of a Distant Star, I really enjoyed both of these pieces.

Saw the new Aardman film, Early Man last night.  It was a really small screen in the cinema (only 50 seats in total) and it was packed.  Unfortunately the people next to me started eating sandwiches during the trailers, then drank noisily from a bottle before opening a bag of biscuits to share, so I had someone chamming in my ear and moving about distracting me through the first 15 minutes of the film.  Then partway through the film, the man in front of us gave his son a pack of crisps, so not only the there the rustling of the bag, but also they were the crunchiest crisps known to man, and every one was accompanied by two or three loud crunches! :irked:  My friend actually leaned forward and asked him to eat more quietly after 10 minutes of it.  It was a 90 minute film, why can't people go without food and drink for an hour and a half??!!!

It did spoil the experience a bit, but I did actually enjoy the film, although I think I'll enjoy it more when I can watch it in the peace and quiet of my living room. :D 

I don't know about the cinema in the UK, but in Dutch cinema I don't think you're supposed to use your mobile. It must be on silent and if you get a phone call you want to answer, you go outside. I don't often go to the cinema though, as I don't really like it there. We still have a voucher / 1 free ticket for it, but so far I have been reluctant to go even if it would cost less than normally.