Janet's Log - Stardate 2018

Janet

20 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

I'm banning myself from new book purchases till June, but I'm very tempted by those last three books ( still, one's a freebie... ;) ) . I especially like the sound of  the Jane Lotter book ( what a pity about the author's death :( ) . 

I'm trying to buy fewer books this year (I say that every year!) although I have some lovely Waterstone's vouchers, so they don't count!

The freebie was definitely my favourite of those three, so 'buying' that's not really cheating, Little Pixie! :giggle2:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/14/2018 at 8:13 PM, Janet said:

As I said in my review, I found I couldn't laugh at Eleanor.  I found her sad and endearing (and yes, heart-warming).  I hope I didn't offend anyone - it certainly wasn't my intention.

Oh no, not at all Janet! :)

I have been poorly for over three weeks now.  It started off with a hideous cold (not quite 'flu, but not far off) and then morphed into an ear infection (in both ears), which has been horrendous.  :(  I still don't have full hearing, but I'm feeling so much better than I was.

On the plus side, I was still able to read for most of the time I was ill (after the first three days when I pretty much didn't move!) - I have completed six books since 26th March and have read around 750 of 801 pages of The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens in nine days!  It would usually take me a minimum of three weeks to finish a Dickens so I'm particularly pleased about this!

I am very behind with this year's reviews already, but am slowly catching up.  I'm also trying to catch up with last year's reviews!  I'm trying not to heap too much pressure on myself though.

Hope you're feeling better soon, at least you got plenty of reading done!  A colleague had that infection over Xmas, and hers turned into a chest infection and she needed 2 lots of antibiotics before she felt better, and even  then it didn't really go properly.  There have been some horrible bugs this year.

009-2018-Feb-22-Caraval_zpsxgqumq5g.jpg

Caraval by Stephanie Garber

The ‘blurb’

'Remember it's all a game. What happens beyond this gate may frighten or excite you, but don't let any of it trick you.'

Once a year the infamous Master Legend hosts Caraval - open only to those who have been invited. This year the week-long game is on Legend's glittering Isla de los Sueños, where the winding streets are an elaborate snow-covered maze and the people are never who they seem. At midnight on the first day, the show begins and the visitors become players. Each of them is vying for the coveted prize: a single wish. All they must do is unravel the mystery of Caraval. But in a game where danger hides behind every charming smile, winning isn't without loss, and their wish might be their last...

Tella and Scarlett are sisters who live with their tyrannical father. He has become not only distant since their mother's disappearance some years earlier but also very cruel.

Scarlett has been writing to a man called 'Legend', host of a magical game called Caravel, for years, trying to persuade him to bring the game to where they live, but to no avail. She hopes her future arranged marriage to a mysterious man she has never met will help save her and her sister, and when the girls are invited to attend Caravel Scarlett is reluctant – but events mean that they end up playing the game, together with Tella's friend Julian. But is Julian all he seems, and is Caraval really a game? Will it be an escape for the girls, or are they playing into dangerous hands…?

This young adult book was chosen for Book Club. I don't often read fantasy-type books but it was likened to The Night Circus which we also read for Book Club and which I really enjoyed, so I had high hopes for it. I found one certain element of it rather irritating (but I can't say what that is as it would be a huge spoiler!) but I very much liked Scarlett and overall it was an enjoyable read. What I really liked about it was how colourful the story was – I am a very visual reader and the story was so colourful in my head. There is a sequel coming out later this year – I am undecided as to whether to read it or not.

The paperback edition is 416 pages long and is published by Hodder. It was first published in 2017. The ISBN is 9781473629165. 

4/5 (I enjoyed it)

(Finished 22 February 2018)

7 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Hope you're feeling better soon, at least you got plenty of reading done!  A colleague had that infection over Xmas, and hers turned into a chest infection and she needed 2 lots of antibiotics before she felt better, and even  then it didn't really go properly.  There have been some horrible bugs this year.

4 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Hope you`re on the mend properly now. :)

3 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope you feel better soon, Janet :flowers2:.

Thanks all.  :)

I have an infection in both ears.  The doctor started me off with antibiotic drops, but I was allergic to them so then I had tablet antibiotics for a week with no improvement so I went back to the surgery and saw the practice sister who looked in both ears and then called a doctor in who told me that I have a 'normal' (for want of a better word) infection in my left ear, but a fungal infection in my right - and that the antibiotics would have been feeding that infection and making it worse!  So now I have a steroid spray but no antibiotics (I also have infection in the tube that goes between my ears and the back of my throat!).  I have about 50% hearing back now, which is better, as I was virtually totally deaf for a week!  It's been a horrid one!

12 hours ago, Janet said:

Thanks all.  :)

I have an infection in both ears.  The doctor started me off with antibiotic drops, but I was allergic to them so then I had tablet antibiotics for a week with no improvement so I went back to the surgery and saw the practice sister who looked in both ears and then called a doctor in who told me that I have a 'normal' (for want of a better word) infection in my left ear, but a fungal infection in my right - and that the antibiotics would have been feeding that infection and making it worse!  So now I have a steroid spray but no antibiotics (I also have infection in the tube that goes between my ears and the back of my throat!).  I have about 50% hearing back now, which is better, as I was virtually totally deaf for a week!  It's been a horrid one!

That sounds really unpleasant :(!! I had lots of ear infections when I was a kid, but I don't remember ever losing my hearing for a long time. I'm glad you got 50% of your hearing back at least. I hope you feel better soon :hug:.

On 4/16/2018 at 10:45 PM, Little Pixie said:

Oof, that sounds so nasty. :( I hope things are much better at your next appointment. :)

On 4/17/2018 at 7:51 AM, Michelle said:

I'm sorry you're still not right. :hug:I won a copy of the sequel to Caraval on twitter, so assuming it does turn up when released, I can let you know what it's like. I agree about Caraval.. it's a nicely laid out book, and a colourful read. :)

On 4/17/2018 at 10:14 AM, Athena said:

That sounds really unpleasant :(!! I had lots of ear infections when I was a kid, but I don't remember ever losing my hearing for a long time. I'm glad you got 50% of your hearing back at least. I hope you feel better soon :hug:.

On 4/17/2018 at 2:10 PM, Madeleine said:

Hope you feel better soon Janet, ear infections are horrible, hope you get your full hearing back too.  Take care of yourself.

8 hours ago, Nollaig said:

Yikes you've really had a crap time of it lately Janet, I'm sorry. I hope you start feeling better asap.

5 hours ago, ~Andrea~ said:

Oh you poor thing. I hope you feel better soon. That's no fun at all.

I like the sound of those books though, The Bette Davies club and Caravel. Especially Caravel!

Thanks, @Little Pixie, @Michelle, @Athena, @Madeleine, @Nollaig and @~Andrea~   :)  :friends3:

I'm hoping this lovely warm weather might help! 

010-2018-Feb-23-A%20Vicarage%20Family_zp

Vicarage Family by Noel Streatfeild

The ‘blurb’

A Vicarage Family is the first part in a fictionalized autobiography in which Noel Streatfeild tells the story of her own childhood, painting a poignant and vivid picture of daily life in an impoverished, genteel family in the years leading up to the First World War. In the story there are three little girls - Isobel, the eldest, is pretty, gentle and artistic; Louise the youngest, is sweet and talented - and then there is Vicky, 'the plain one', the awkward and rebellious child who doesn't fit in at school or at home. Growing up in a big family Vicky feels overlooked but gradually begins to realize that she might not be quite as untalented as she feels. The Vicky of this story is, of course, the much-loved Noel Streatfeild who went on to write so many wonderful family stories, the most famous being. Ballet Shoes

I love books about social history and the Edwardian era is one of my favourite periods. Vicky (Noel herself) is a real character – she's constantly trying to behave whilst managing to get into trouble, much to the exasperation of her parents, and particularly her father with whom she is very close. Although the family were from an upper Middle Class background they were not wealthy, having to live on a Vicar's stipend, and they had their fair share of hardship in terms of keeping up with their peers, although they weren't poor.

I had had this book on my wish list for a long time so was chuffed when I came across it for 50p in a charity shop! Despite Streatfeild being a very prolific writer I haven't read any of her books (I don't think – I may have as a child), although I have seen the TV adaptation of Ballet Shoes! :D I really enjoyed this. There are two more volumes - Away from the Vicarage and Beyond the Vicarage, both of which I will look out for.

The paperback edition is 416 pages long and is published by Puffin. It was first published in 1963. The ISBN is 9780141368665.

4/5 (I really enjoyed it)

(Finished 23 February 2018)

11 hours ago, Janet said:

010-2018-Feb-23-A%20Vicarage%20Family_zp

Vicarage Family by Noel Streatfeild

The ‘blurb’

A Vicarage Family is the first part in a fictionalized autobiography in which Noel Streatfeild tells the story of her own childhood, painting a poignant and vivid picture of daily life in an impoverished, genteel family in the years leading up to the First World War. In the story there are three little girls - Isobel, the eldest, is pretty, gentle and artistic; Louise the youngest, is sweet and talented - and then there is Vicky, 'the plain one', the awkward and rebellious child who doesn't fit in at school or at home. Growing up in a big family Vicky feels overlooked but gradually begins to realize that she might not be quite as untalented as she feels. The Vicky of this story is, of course, the much-loved Noel Streatfeild who went on to write so many wonderful family stories, the most famous being. Ballet Shoes

I love books about social history and the Edwardian era is one of my favourite periods. Vicky (Noel herself) is a real character – she's constantly trying to behave whilst managing to get into trouble, much to the exasperation of her parents, and particularly her father with whom she is very close. Although the family were from an upper Middle Class background they were not wealthy, having to live on a Vicar's stipend, and they had their fair share of hardship in terms of keeping up with their peers, although they weren't poor.

I had had this book on my wish list for a long time so was chuffed when I came across it for 50p in a charity shop! Despite Streatfeild being a very prolific writer I haven't read any of her books (I don't think – I may have as a child), although I have seen the TV adaptation of Ballet Shoes! :D I really enjoyed this. There are two more volumes - Away from the Vicarage and Beyond the Vicarage, both of which I will look out for.

The paperback edition is 416 pages long and is published by Puffin. It was first published in 1963. The ISBN is 9780141368665.

4/5 (I really enjoyed it)

(Finished 23 February 2018)

I love books like this too, I think I may have read these many years ago but I'd love to do a re-read.

On 4/20/2018 at 9:07 AM, poppy said:

I love books like this too, I think I may have read these many years ago but I'd love to do a re-read.

It's just so interesting reading about people's lives in the past, isn't it. :) 

011-2018-Feb-27-Career%20of%20Evil_zps6s

Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith

The ‘blurb’

When a mysterious package is delivered to Robin Ellacott, she is horrified to discover that it contains a woman's severed leg. Her boss, private detective Cormoran Strike, is less surprised but no less alarmed. There are four people from his past who he thinks could be responsible - and Strike knows that any one of them is capable of sustained and unspeakable brutality. With the police focusing on the one suspect Strike is increasingly sure is not the perpetrator, he and Robin take matters into their own hands, and delve into the dark and twisted worlds of the other three men. But as more horrendous acts occur, time is running out for the two of them... A fiendishly clever mystery with unexpected twists around every corner, Career of Evil is the third in the number one bestselling series featuring Cormoran Strike and his assistant, Robin Ellacott.

This is the third book featuring Cormonan Strike's detective agency. Strike's colleague Robin receives a parcel at work which she opens without really thinking. Inside is a severed leg! The parcel was delivered by motorcycle courier and the box contains a note – an extract of lyrics from the Blue Öyster Cult song Mistress of the Salmon Salt (Quicklime Girl). The song was one of his mother's favourites and Strike thinks the perpetrator must be someone from his past with a grudge – and there are several options to choose from! Robin is in the middle of planning her wedding to fiancé Matthew at the same time and there are tensions between the two of them that come to a head, so Robin is happy to escape from London to travel first to Barrow in Furness and then to Corby, as she and Strike try to nail the killer before he strikes again…

I always prefer to read a book before I watch a film or TV adaptation (obviously that's not always possible) so when I saw a BBC trailer for this a few days before it was due to be shown on TV, I quickly downloaded the book on Kindle. I told Peter we couldn't watch it until I'd finished reading the book and that we'd have to watch on iPlayer. However, I whizzed through more than half the book before episode one was broadcast and then finished the whole book before part two so we were able to watch it when it was actually shown! :D

I really liked the characters of Cormoran and Robin in the first book and this has carried on through all three. Book three of the series was equally as good as the first two – it kept me guessing from start to finish. In terms of the TV adaptation, obviously it wasn't as good as the book – it would have had to have been much longer than the two hours overall length, but it was still very enjoyable. Whoever cast the two main characters - Tom Burke as Strike and Holliday Grainger as Robin - did a fantastic job!

J K Rowling Robert Galbraith really writes a good story and I'm looking forward to the fourth one, Lethal White. Sadly there is no release date yet. Come on, Jo!  :giggle2:

The paperback edition is 592 pages long and is published by Sphere. It was first published in 2015. The ISBN is 9780751571417. I read it on Kindle. 4/5 (I really enjoyed it)

(Finished 27 February 2018) 

Wow Janet, what a terrible time you’ve had :( Glad to read you are on the mend and hope you are back to something resembling 100% very soon. 

I rrad Noel Streatfeild’s books as a child and I was only thinking about a possible reread of them last week. The autobiography sounds great - like you I love social history - so I must look out for that one. 

I am also impatiently waiting for the fourth Strike! The BBC adaptations have not made the wait easier :D 

6 hours ago, Alexi said:

Wow Janet, what a terrible time you’ve had :( Glad to read you are on the mend and hope you are back to something resembling 100% very soon. 

Thanks, @Alexi - my hearing still isn't fully recovered (to what it was before - I've always had reduced hearing in my left ear) but I feel so much better than I did - I'm nearly there  :)

I rrad Noel Streatfeild’s books as a child and I was only thinking about a possible reread of them last week. The autobiography sounds great - like you I love social history - so I must look out for that one. 

I'm sure you'd enjoy it.  :)  Social history is so interesting, isn't it.  

I wonder whatever happened to the book I sent you?   It must be somewhere!  I can't find the proof of postage (it must be somewhere in the house...) so we'll never know!

Maybe we'll be one of those "parcel arrives 5 years after it was posted" stories you see in the local press?!  :giggle2:

I am also impatiently waiting for the fourth Strike! The BBC adaptations have not made the wait easier :D 

I've just looked at she Tweeted on 23 March that she'd finished writing it, so hopefully it'll be out this year?   :shrug:  The first three came out in quick succession but Career of Evil was published back in 2015!  :o