Alexander's Literary Odyssey 2018

Alexander the Great

Friday on My Mind review

In this instalment, the central crime hits very close to home for Frieda Klein. She quickly becomes the main suspect and has to go on the run. It's interesting to see a character so set in her ways, so attached to the order her world is in, be completely taken out of it. Suddenly, she has to go underground while trying to find the real killer. It's a very interesting and different read from the other books, but I loved the character growth. I also thought it was very realistic to see who stood by her and who didn't, and how people didn't simply take her side or the side against her, but were often caught somewhere in the middle.

Saturday Requiem + Sunday Morning Coming Down review

I'm bundling these two because at this point in the series, it's too hard to say anything without revealing too much. I can only repeat what I've said in previous reviews of Frieda Klein novels and add it only gets better, more complex. We dive deeper and deeper.

I've become severely attached to Frieda Klein. I totally have a huge crush on her even though she's a fictional character. I am suffering from a terrible book hangover at the moment.

Next up should be Wolf Hall, but I worry it might be too heavy a read when I'm still so emotionally attached to the last seven books. Anyone read Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel?

After much contemplating, I've decided to leave Wolf Hall for later and start Neil Gaiman's American Gods.

Next week (the week starting April 9th), I'll be traveling to Ireland and the UK to see Epica shows. I'll only have time to read in short amounts of time and I want to take my time for Wolf Hall and its sequel, because I get a feeling these are the kinds of books you need to be able to really concentrate on :) 

1 hour ago, frankie said:

I can't believe it's April already! I hope you have the most amazing time in Ireland and the UK! Have fun at the shows! :) Do you think you will have time to pop into secondhand bookshops? :)

Crazy, right? I'm happy I've been able to read 16 books already this year, not easy with a full time job, working overtime and sports four times a week.

I'm sure I'll have a great time, I can't wait! I will have to restrain myself and not go into any bookshops at all. I'm traveling with Ryanair so I have to keep my luggage very light, since it's going to be hand luggage only (if that's a word).

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

I'd heard so much about this book, and while it was a good read, I had expected more.

I'm fairly convinced I read it at the wrong time, though. I had to read it in bits and pieces. Sometimes it drew me back in, but not enough. I started out great, but then I felt like it became a collection of short stories and dream sequences. I'm not a fan of either.

I don't regret buying the book though. I will give it another try in the future :) 

I think I had similar feeling for American Gods. It's good, but it seems to lack something to send it over into excellent. I couldn't put my finger on what.

What I can recommend is Anansi Boys, which isn't a direct sequel, but shares the same universe - in that some of the characters are gods. That is excellent, in my opinion of course, probably because it is very funny (and maybe that's what's missing from American Gods; it's a bit lacking in humour, unusually for Neil Gaiman).