Noll's 2018 Reads

Nollaig

Fellowship of the Ring

For the first time in my life, I read through this entire (first) book. I doubt I'll bother with the other two. I love the movies, but this book just isn't very good. There's zero character development, in fact the characters are barely discernible from each other, and the majority of the prose focuses on descriptions of landscape and poetry. There is a good story there underneath, as seen in the films, but how anyone ever dug it out from this book I'll never know!

Dead Souls - Angela Marsons

The 7th and most recent installment in the Kim Stone series, I really enjoyed this one. Kim is assigned to a joint investigation with a former colleague she now doesn't get on with. This opens up the rest of her team, Bryant, Dawson and Stacey, to take more center stage in their own investigations. As a result, their interactions develop their relationships a bit, and their characters are developed more in general - particularly Stacey. The storyline with Kim and Travis working together reveals the source of the tension between them as well, so overall, while the story is very good too, I particularly liked this one for the character development aspect. 4/5

Turtles All The Way Down - John Green

Disappointed by this one. It's characteristically John Green, populated by wit and philosophical insight by the kind of wise teenagers who simply don't exist in the real world. I recognized several things from John's vlogs, so this more than ever felt like him channeling himself through this characters. Which, for me, would be absolutely fine, as it has been in his previous books, if it all served a greater purpose. I adore Paper Towns despite the unrealistic characters because I love what it explores about identity, our perceptions of ourselves and of others. This book explores..... nothing. Except anxiety, manifesting in one of the most uncommon ways I've ever heard of. I know tons of people who suffer from anxiety, myself included - none who worry about the microbes on peoples' tongues. Not to say that it isn't a valid depiction, and the battle between reason and demon is, particularly towards the end, excellently portrayed. Just that I hope I'd be able to relate, and largely can't. There's no real greater story, the romance is utterly baseless and forced (and happens waaaaay too quick), and as such it's a disappointingly flimsy read. I'm giving it 3/5 simply because I still love John's wit and insight, but the book was only okay.

On 1/25/2018 at 10:22 PM, Little Pixie said:

:lol: I prescribe more lurking in darkened rooms and cocoa. ;)

I approve this prescription :lol:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember loving The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings as a teenager. I went back to them recently (I'm now in my mid 50's) and they just aren't the same as my memories of my first read. I even find the film's disappointing!

On 26/01/2018 at 9:36 AM, Nollaig said:

Fellowship of the Ring

There is a good story there underneath, as seen in the films, but how anyone ever dug it out from this book I'll never know!

Well, it takes all sorts doesn't it?.  After all, I remember you giving The Girl on the Train 5 stars.......! ;)

I've read LOTR twice now - once as a teenager and once about ten years or so years ago, and I loved it both times. Not unusual you may think given its status, but the fact is that normally I have absolutely no time for fantasy. Unlike @Trevor I've probably not properly grown up yet!   I struggle to say why it stood out for me - it has, inevitably, to be a combination of factors.  I suppose I liked the intricacy/depth of the world Tolkien created, the myth like qualities of the narrative, the strong direction of the plot/journey/quest (the 3 books make for one huge book, but Tolkien never seems, at least IMO, to lose sight of where he is going, even as threads split and converge) and for me the characters did have depth (I'm normally one of the first to shy away from books with cardboard figurines for protagonists). He is occasionally a bit clumsy, but, for me, it's one of the few fantasy books that deserves its place in the literary canon. 

But then, I have just read and absolutely hated I Am Pilgrim, strongly recommended by a friend who normally I see completely eye to eye with when it comes to books (you think Tolkien's characters lack depth?!).  Conversely, I adore Jane Austen, and both my colleagues at work in the library can't abide her books - which makes for some great discussions!! No book or writer is so big or great that there isn't room for them to be disliked by at least some readers, thank goodness!

Edited by willoyd

On 1/27/2018 at 7:06 PM, Raven said:

Lord of the Rings got better for me as it went along. Part of the problem with Fellowship, especially at the beginning, was Tolkien didn't really have a game plan and was making it up as he went! 

Well, that definitely can't have helped!

On 1/27/2018 at 9:33 PM, willoyd said:

Well, it takes all sorts doesn't it?.  After all, I remember you giving The Girl on the Train 5 stars.......! ;)

I've read LOTR twice now - once as a teenager and once about ten years or so years ago, and I loved it both times. Not unusual you may think given its status, but the fact is that normally I have absolutely no time for fantasy. Unlike @Trevor I've probably not properly grown up yet!   I struggle to say why it stood out for me - it has, inevitably, to be a combination of factors.  I suppose I liked the intricacy/depth of the world Tolkien created, the myth like qualities of the narrative, the strong direction of the plot/journey/quest (the 3 books make for one huge book, but Tolkien never seems, at least IMO, to lose sight of where he is going, even as threads split and converge) and for me the characters did have depth (I'm normally one of the first to shy away from books with cardboard figurines for protagonists). He is occasionally a bit clumsy, but, for me, it's one of the few fantasy books that deserves its place in the literary canon. 

But then, I have just read and absolutely hated I Am Pilgrim, strongly recommended by a friend who normally I see completely eye to eye with when it comes to books (you think Tolkien's characters lack depth?!).  Conversely, I adore Jane Austen, and both my colleagues at work in the library can't abide her books - which makes for some great discussions!! No book or writer is so big or great that there isn't room for them to be disliked by at least some readers, thank goodness!

Notably I rate books by how much I enjoyed them, not how objectively good I think they are, because I'm not qualified to do that. Hence a fluff book getting five stars when a literary classic did not. (ETA: When I say things like 'this just isn't very good', I don't always qualify them with 'in my opinion'. Coz that's what reviews are, opinions!) Same with books like The Essex Serpent. I can see the value, but I didn't really enjoy it.

I love the intricacy and depth of the world, but that in itself I feel should have given the characters much more depth. For me, the physical journey seemed to take precedence over almost everything. The relationship between Arwen and Aragorn took about three sentences, whereas it could have been explored as it was in the film. I loved the dialogue, the big conversations when they happened, but I just felt it had very little heart. Or, what heart there was was obscured by descriptions of plant life! 

1 hour ago, Nollaig said:

Notably I rate books by how much I enjoyed them, not how objectively good I think they are, because I'm not qualified to do that. Hence a fluff book getting five stars when a literary classic did not. (ETA: When I say things like 'this just isn't very good', I don't always qualify them with 'in my opinion'. Coz that's what reviews are, opinions!) Same with books like The Essex Serpent. I can see the value, but I didn't really enjoy it.

I'm the same, not least because I'm no expert, so therefore trying to judge how something is objectively good is a non-starter (if that's even possible - surely reading is one of the ultimate subjective experiences).  It's why, whilst my six star list includes classics like Middlemarch, and more modern books like The Essex Serpent, it also includes 'fluff' like Georgette Heyer's The Grand Sophy

I've been thinking further about why The Lord of the Rings was a six-star read for me and, to try and  cut a long story short, I think it's because, unlike so much fantasy, I found myself totally immersed in it - finishing a reading stint was almost like emerging out of another world I'd been so wrapped up in this alternative one. Quite why it did that for me I'm not sure, and trying to dissect it to find out would probably be a bit futile, as any book one enjoys is surely a combination of factors*, to do with plot, characters, setting, writing etc, and those factors vary (after all what makes LOTR a 6-star read for me is surely very different to what makes The Grand Sophy one, or, to pick another very different piece of fiction, To The Lighthouse!).  I think also time,place and mood are critical as well - after all why did it take 5 goes for me to start another favourite, David Copperfield, and yet on the sixth (attempted only because it was a reading group choice) I stormed through it?

So, I can totally understand why someone might not like LOTR;  indeed all of what you say makes objective sense to me. I don't think I've ever found the fact that someone doesn't like a book a problem.  I do sometimes wonder why on earth someone could like a book I thoroughly disliked though!

Sorry if that's all a bit long-winded - I just find this aspect of reading fascinating - and when one disagrees about a book it gets so much more interesting!

Later edit: * and sorry if I repeat myself.  Thought of cutting this out, and then decided to leave in for completeness and too lazy to sort out continuity!

Edited by willoyd

7 minutes ago, willoyd said:

I've been thinking further about why The Lord of the Rings was a six-star read for me and, to try and  cut a long story short, I think it's because, unlike so much fantasy, I found myself totally immersed in it - finishing a reading stint was almost like emerging out of another world I'd been so wrapped up in this alternative one. Quite why it did that for me I'm not sure, and trying to dissect it to find out would probably be a bit futile, as any book one enjoys is surely a combination of factors, to do with plot, characters, setting, writing etc, and those factors vary (after all what makes LOTR a 6-star read for me is surely very different to what makes The Grand Sophy one, or, to pick another very different piece of fiction, To The Lighthouse!).  I think also time,place and mood are critical as well - after all why did it take 5 goes for me to start another favourite, David Copperfield, and yet on the sixth (attempted only because it was a reading group choice) I stormed through it?

I was also probably spoiled a bit by the films - in the films I get a sense of Gimli's pride, Legolas's quiet self-assurance (the two of which turn into a death-count-battle in the third film!), Aragorn's nobility, Merry and Pippin's buddy-comedy pairing, Sam's loyalty etc. I got a bit of Sam's loyalty from the book alright, but little of the rest. Also, I love emotions in books, I love dark and scary, psychologically disturbing, heart-wrenching etc, and I still don't feel that was the focus of Fellowship. It's also why a lot of chick-lits don't appeal to me - writing characters that really speak to me is tough. Solace, by Belinda McKeon, is an example of a book that I adored and it was because I just got emotionally attached to the characters. On the flip side of all this, I also love straight up thrills, and will take them even with flat characters and ridiculous endings, like the endless 3-star thrillers I read. They're always 3-star reads, because they're just 'good', but they're so fun at the time!

On 27/01/2018 at 9:33 PM, willoyd said:

Unlike @Trevor I've probably not properly grown up yet!

I truly wish I hadn't grown up, the world is a very unpleasant place plus of course I would not have had my memories torn apart on my reread :(

Edited by Trevor

4 hours ago, Nollaig said:

I was also probably spoiled a bit by the films - in the films I get a sense of Gimli's pride, Legolas's quiet self-assurance (the two of which turn into a death-count-battle in the third film!), Aragorn's nobility, Merry and Pippin's buddy-comedy pairing, Sam's loyalty etc. I got a bit of Sam's loyalty from the book alright, but little of the rest.

I agree that the films did  the characters well - really enjoyed the whole series.  Perhaps the reason why the characters may not have come through for you was that Tolkien was writing this like a legend, even myth, and when one reads the Greek or Nordic myths, the characters are similarly assumed rather than developed.  I'm usually very much character driven in my reading, and for me they worked in this, but, as I said, I can see why they might not.

On the flip side of all this, I also love straight up thrills, and will take them even with flat characters and ridiculous endings, like the endless 3-star thrillers I read. They're always 3-star reads, because they're just 'good', but they're so fun at the time!

I can watch some pretty pulp-ish film (although less than I used to), but rarely hack that sort of thriller in books.  The odd one I really enjoy - Hunt for Red October jumps to mind - but otherwise they tend to leave me absolutely cold nowadays.

3 hours ago, Trevor said:

I truly wish I hadn't grown up, the world is a very unpleasant place plus of course I would not have had my memories torn apart on my reread :(

I don't know, I think an awful lot of that is a surfeit of news media - avoid that and it's not half as bad as it looks, and no worse than it used to be. If I went back in time, I certainly wouldn't want to go back to my childhood.  Had a good one, but I don't think I would want to be that age again.  Early forties was probably the best time.  I'm enjoying being late fifties, but mortality looms rather too often nowadays. On the plus side, not being tied down by increasingly bizarre work priorities and demands or to increasingly bizarre parenting does help!

Edited by willoyd

17 hours ago, willoyd said:

I agree that the films did  the characters well - really enjoyed the whole series.  Perhaps the reason why the characters may not have come through for you was that Tolkien was writing this like a legend, even myth, and when one reads the Greek or Nordic myths, the characters are similarly assumed rather than developed.  I'm usually very much character driven in my reading, and for me they worked in this, but, as I said, I can see why they might not.

I don't know, I think an awful lot of that is a surfeit of news media - avoid that and it's not half as bad as it looks, and no worse than it used to be.

Hmm, that does make sense r.e. the characters. I've never heard those myths describe such perfect scenery either though!

And I completely agree, the world is no worse than it ever was, it's just we have greater global access now. Imagine if social media existed during world war 2!

So a while ago my tavern wench costume arrived (for the medieval banquet me and partner/friends are going to in London in March). It's hard for me to get costumes that fit as I'm quite a hefty lady, so I was absolutely delighted that this fits pretty well! I need to get a new belt for it, and I'm thinking of getting a beer tankard purse, but overall it's great quality and I'm really happy!

311.jpg

I've also got a couple of pages from my ever-evolving gratittude journal. It started out really planned, and I was testing markers and watercolour pencils and stuff, but everything seeps through the pages. I'm also finding I'm not making the time to do the layouts I planned. So instead I'm taking a free and easy approach, just adding drawings whenever I feel like it. The main thing is that I find myself noting things to draw in it more often, which was the point - to be more grateful for even simple things.

312.jpg313.jpg314.jpg

Your journal looks really good! Perhaps if you keep going with it, when you have to start a new one because it's filled up, you could get an artist sketch book instead, as I guess cartridge paper should cope better with bleed through?

I keep saying it, but I really must start my own bullet journal - mine will be mostly text as I'm fairly rubbish at drawing though :giggle2: 

On 1/31/2018 at 4:55 PM, Nollaig said:

So a while ago my tavern wench costume arrived (for the medieval banquet me and partner/friends are going to in London in March). It's hard for me to get costumes that fit as I'm quite a hefty lady, so I was absolutely delighted that this fits pretty well! I need to get a new belt for it, and I'm thinking of getting a beer tankard purse, but overall it's great quality and I'm really happy!

311.jpg

I've also got a couple of pages from my ever-evolving gratittude journal. It started out really planned, and I was testing markers and watercolour pencils and stuff, but everything seeps through the pages. I'm also finding I'm not making the time to do the layouts I planned. So instead I'm taking a free and easy approach, just adding drawings whenever I feel like it. The main thing is that I find myself noting things to draw in it more often, which was the point - to be more grateful for even simple things.

312.jpg313.jpg314.jpg

Your journal looks really good! I'm trying to do some gratitude journalling myself and I find it very beneficial. However, sometimes it's difficult, especially when trying not to repeat myself! I find journalling on the whole, very good for creativity, problem solving and clearing my mind.

On 11.1.2018 at 3:27 PM, Nollaig said:

Also, (copied from What's Up In January):

I've started making progress on my one real new year's resolution (is it a resolution if it's not difficult?) which I only realised earlier this week I wanted to do. Based off the extremely popular bullet journals around, my underwhelming experiences with various mindfulness and gratitude journal apps, and my knowledge that gratitude is the one area of mindfulness where I still really fall down, I have invented - the gratitude visual/bullet/sketchnotes journal! Yeah, it's a blend.

I think this is a fabulous idea! :smile2:  Great pages you've done already! :smile2:

On 22.1.2018 at 11:47 AM, Nollaig said:

I also have to get my next lot of meds sorted this month for my anxiety/depression. I've been on one dose for a year now, and gradually my mood is declining again. Not sure do I need a higher dose or what. Maybe I should start going to counselling but that's a 200 euro commitment a month, it's just so much money.

It really is a lot of money :(  Even though it would go towards a pretty freaking good cause! 

On 22.1.2018 at 11:47 AM, Nollaig said:

It's funny, all those years ago when I was unemployed for 2.5 years, I produced tons of art and was really creative. Now that I've been in employment for 2.5 years, I don't want to draw, I'm struggling to keep up my cross-stitch, I just read, watch tv or play video games. My creativity is pretty much dead. You'd think financial security would make me happy, but I think all is does is relieve one aspect of anxiety/depression, which is immediately replaced by the depressing tedium of spending most of my life doing a job simply to pay bills.

I know what you mean. I've stopped doing a whole lot of things since I got employed. Now it's a miracle if I get any -real- stuff done at all. However, I think you are doing more than you give yourself credit for. You've started your gratitude journal, and you are playing video games which you love, and you are spending quality time with your partner! You've also managed to read a lot of books this year already! :)  

I wish you a very happy reading year in 2018, Nollaig! :)

On 2/7/2018 at 7:15 AM, karen.d said:

Your journal looks really good! I'm trying to do some gratitude journalling myself and I find it very beneficial. However, sometimes it's difficult, especially when trying not to repeat myself! I find journalling on the whole, very good for creativity, problem solving and clearing my mind.

I'm finding it hard to keep it up to be honest. It's given me an idea for an app (I like designing apps since my cert in digital media before christmas!) - a digital bullet journal. An app with tons of icons and cartoons in various colours (bullets, arrows, squiggles, patterns, objects etc) so that you can just click-and-drag your way to a stunning journal page in no time. Can't find an app like it, and I know I'd use it! What do you do in your gratitude journal, do you draw or just write or...?

16 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Noll, you`re such a talented artist ! :D I love the little robin. :)

Ha, thanks, but those are really only little doodles. I do quite like my little robin too though :D

15 hours ago, frankie said:

I think this is a fabulous idea! :smile2:  Great pages you've done already! :smile2:

It really is a lot of money :(  Even though it would go towards a pretty freaking good cause!

I know what you mean. I've stopped doing a whole lot of things since I got employed. Now it's a miracle if I get any -real- stuff done at all. However, I think you are doing more than you give yourself credit for. You've started your gratitude journal, and you are playing video games which you love, and you are spending quality time with your partner! You've also managed to read a lot of books this year already! :)  

I wish you a very happy reading year in 2018, Nollaig! :)

Thanks, Frankie! My mood is a bit better lately, and I'm getting a bit more creative again. Working on a portfolio website, gonna start working on designing more apps, entered a competition with one app idea, and am back to digital art a little bit with a monkey for my partner's gaming blog!

My partner has wanted this monkey for ages (his blog is Little Monkey Game Reviews) and his ex-wife (who also drew) always said she'd do it, and never did. And then I said I would, and I got as far as sketching him, but never finished. So, this is my plan for a Valentines Day gift, to get this darned monkey finished for him!

monkey.jpg

1 hour ago, Nollaig said:

I'm finding it hard to keep it up to be honest. It's given me an idea for an app (I like designing apps since my cert in digital media before christmas!) - a digital bullet journal. An app with tons of icons and cartoons in various colours (bullets, arrows, squiggles, patterns, objects etc) so that you can just click-and-drag your way to a stunning journal page in no time. Can't find an app like it, and I know I'd use it! What do you do in your gratitude journal, do you draw or just write or...?

The app sounds a good idea! I've researched bullet journal and it's a bit of a confusing mind field, particularly on YouTube! I don't have a specific gratitude journal. After every journal entry I write. I try to think of at least three things I'm grateful for and if I can explain why, that adds to it. I'm sure there are better ways of doing it!

58 minutes ago, karen.d said:

The app sounds a good idea! I've researched bullet journal and it's a bit of a confusing mind field, particularly on YouTube! I don't have a specific gratitude journal. After every journal entry I write. I try to think of at least three things I'm grateful for and if I can explain why, that adds to it. I'm sure there are better ways of doing it!

Ah sure there's no right or wrong way, just whatever suits you yourself! I chose the gratitude focus as it's an area I'm weak on and I chose pictures because I'm the worst at writing stuff out! Bullet Journaling definitely comes across as something you have to be really arty or design-oriented to do well, I found that off-putting, hence random doodles!

4 hours ago, Nollaig said:

Ah sure there's no right or wrong way, just whatever suits you yourself! I chose the gratitude focus as it's an area I'm weak on and I chose pictures because I'm the worst at writing stuff out! Bullet Journaling definitely comes across as something you have to be really arty or design-oriented to do well, I found that off-putting, hence random doodles!

I'm quite creative, but I still find some of the bullet journals I see on YouTube, as really intimidating! I might give it a go one day! 

21 hours ago, Nollaig said:

That sounds like a useful app to have!

21 hours ago, Nollaig said:

Thanks, Frankie! My mood is a bit better lately, and I'm getting a bit more creative again. Working on a portfolio website, gonna start working on designing more apps, entered a competition with one app idea, and am back to digital art a little bit with a monkey for my partner's gaming blog!

My partner has wanted this monkey for ages (his blog is Little Monkey Game Reviews) and his ex-wife (who also drew) always said she'd do it, and never did. And then I said I would, and I got as far as sketching him, but never finished. So, this is my plan for a Valentines Day gift, to get this darned monkey finished for him!

I saw the monkey on FaceBook (and IG), it looks so good :). Such a great gift, too!

I think your gratitude journal app idea is great, it would be a perfect relaxing and beneficial thing to do, less intimidating to those who don't know where to start or aren't the best at drawing (like me!) as well. I definitely know people who would use that if it existed! 

I love your costume too, the medieval banquet sounds like fun! 

And that is a very cute monkey :)