2011 - 61
2012 - 61
2013 - 69
2014 - 62
2015 - 59
2016 - 47 

2017 - 50 

1. Only Forward - Michael Marshall Smith

2. Why We Sleep - Matthew Walker (audio)

3. Cast Under An Alien Sky - Olan Thorensen (audio)

4. Redshirts - John Scalzi

5. Tender - Eve Ainsworth

6. The Gates: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel - Iain Rob Wright 

7. How to be Champion - Sarah Millican (audio)

8. Old Man's War  - John Scalzi

9. Planetfall - Emma Newman

10. Zero Day - Ezekiel Boone (audio)

11. Scythe - Neal Shusterman

12. Thunderhead - Neal Shusterman (audio)

13. Who Tells Your Story - Valerie Estelle Frankel

14. This Mortal Coil - Emily Suvada

15. Dogs of War by Adrian Tchaikovsky

16. Before Mars - Emma Newman

17. All Systems Red -  Martha Wells

18. Under The Skin - Michael Faber

19. Alien: Sea of Sorrows - James A Moore

So here we go, into another year! I'm continuing to read whatever grabs my attention at the time, alongside the occasional review book, and I will continue to not continue if my attention isn't held! :D

In progress at the moment are Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View on Kindle, Cast Under an Alien Sky by Lan Thorensen on audio, and Deception by Teri Terry as a physical review book. 

It's almost the end of Jan, and I've only just gotten round to updating my thread! As always, I have a lot of books on the go.. some of which I will continue, some will probably get dropped. I have managed to finish two audiobooks, and one kindle book. I've almost finished Dogs of War by Adrian Tchaikovsky on the kindle, which I'm really enjoying. 

Things have been generally busy and difficult since just before Christmas - some of that is now settling, but I've just started my first module for my degree, so I'm going to be studying hard, and getting stressed again about assignment writing! :wacko:

When I qualified as a nurse (in 1993.. shh!) it was with a level 5 diploma. I'm now hoping to complete various modules at level 6, to get my nursing degree. I need to keep up with the youngsters!! First module is Developing Leadership.. it's an interesting looking course, but there are two assignments, plus a presentation (which I'm dreading the most!).

Well it's great that you're doing that Michelle, a lot of people probably wouldn't bother except under duress!

Developing Leadership sounds scary to me, I am a quiet little sheep! Presentations are not fun, I've never liked doing them. Still though, at least it's not a wholly new subject, it's just building on what you already know and have experience of, so hopefully that will help :)

Hmm.. on the whole, pretty good. The actual science of how it could all work passed me by a bit, but I did like the concept, and I thought pitched at the right level. In so much as the way he described things was enough to be amusing, but didn't labour the point. I wasn't overkeen on the Codas at the end, I could see where he was going with them, but they felt too tacked on. 

have you read it? I'll certainly try more of his books. 

Hope you have a great reading year, Michelle. And good luck with the studies. I know how difficult it is to balance studying with full time working!

I see you've read Why We Sleep. I bought it earlier in the month (Kindle Daily Deal), and thought it would be interesting as I always feel behind in sleep (even when I get 8 hours)!

I can't believe how bad I've been at keeping this updated.. I kept looking to see where the next page was, couldn't believe it stopped on one page, and in Feb! A quick update..

Anyway, I've read a few books, and have given up on quite a few too, especially audio books. I may well have forgotten one or two as well. Dogs of War was indeed a good read, and I keep debating whether to try his fantasy books.. has anyone read them?

After Redshirts by John Scalzi, I did try Old Man's War, which was pretty good, but I lost interest in the sequel as it just seemed to stretch things too far. 

Planetfall by Emma Newman was an excellent read, I do love the idea of future colonies on other planets using massive 3D printers for everything they need, plus it explores living with anxiety. My only disappointment was with the ending, as it just kinda drifted. I've just started reading Before Mars, because I do like her style, and I also started her fantasy series with Between Two Thorns, but that's on hold as I wanted to read Before Mars.

This Mortal Coil was a good read, thanks @chesilbeach - I'll be looking out for the sequel later in the year. 

Probably my favourite read of the year though was Scythe, and the sequel Thunderhead, by Neal Shusterman. This is set in a world where control has been given over to a sentient cloud (internet cloud, not the fluffy type!) - now named Thunderhead. There are also nanites in people which repair damage, alter chemical levels etc. Because of all this, people are pretty much immortal, so to prevent a population build up, there are a revered group, known as scythes, who have to kill people. They are like priests in a way, and it's interesting to see the turn around, that the almost worshipped people are actually the ones killing. It all sounds strange, but you have to believe me that world building is great, and it all just makes sense. Honest! :-D