Your Book Activity - January 2018

chesilbeach

I read one of Jodi Picoult's earlier books - Second Glance - and it was also odd, almost like two different books spliced together; I think it's a case of her older books being published once she got successful, but they should probably have been revised and maybe edited a bit, as she was presumably still "honing her craft" as they say, I've noticed this was other authors too.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished The Lost Plot today, and I loved it.  The fourth in the Invisible Library series, and an absolute cracker, with a fantastic ending!  Hope there will be more to come in the series - I think she originally signed up with the publishers for five, but I hope there's not just one left and they'll renew for more. :)

I also had a new book token card to use, so bought myself Traiter to the Throne by Alwyn Hamilton, which is the second in a trilogy and I really enjoyed the first one, Rebel of the Sands.  The last book has just been published, so I'll be able to go straight onto it when I finished TttT if I feel like it. :D 

• Athena unpinned this topic
On 1/31/2018 at 6:33 AM, Madeleine said:

I read one of Jodi Picoult's earlier books - Second Glance - and it was also odd, almost like two different books spliced together; I think it's a case of her older books being published once she got successful, but they should probably have been revised and maybe edited a bit, as she was presumably still "honing her craft" as they say, I've noticed this was other authors too.

That makes sense. Songs of the Humpbacked Whale is very badly edited. I find mistakes in the story all through it. 

On 30/01/2018 at 3:27 AM, chesilbeach said:

Been reading from my hardback and paperback current reads today - You Took The Last Bus Home which is the hardback poetry collection, which has lots of humour and wordplay in it, and I'm enjoying much more than any poetry I've read since my children's book of humorous verse from when I was nine!

@chesilbeach, I find that a lot of poetry is not to my taste, but I saw Bilston's poems on social media a lot last year and ended up buying You Took the Last Bus Home late last year. I tore through it and plan to start re-reading it soon. I absolutely loved it! His humour and wordplay resonate with me very much. He's so damn clever! It immediately made my list of favourite ever books. :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2018 at 9:06 AM, willoyd said:

Finished and now moved on to Terry Hayes's I Am Pilgrim, both a Round Robin challenge, and a reading group selection.  Around 150 pages into this 800+ page tome, and almost certain I'm not going to finish.  Started well, although the warning signs were there, but the last hundred pages have been pretty dire.  So bad on so many levels. Will keep going for the present - it is a reading group book after all, and you never know, it might pick up - but this so far is not a book with which to waste much of either my time or shelf space.

I read I Am Pilgrim a couple of years ago and loved it. I decided to give it a re-read a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't finish it. I read the first quarter, then started skimming and just eventually gave up. So strange how I enjoyed it so much on the first read (to the point where I even recommended it to loads of people!) but just couldn't even finish it the second time around. And it's not because I knew how it ended - I had forgotten the finer details. I just thought it was a pretty poorly written book this time around. :blush: 

On 27/02/2018 at 8:51 PM, bobblybear said:

I read I Am Pilgrim a couple of years ago and loved it. I decided to give it a re-read a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't finish it. I read the first quarter, then started skimming and just eventually gave up. So strange how I enjoyed it so much on the first read (to the point where I even recommended it to loads of people!) but just couldn't even finish it the second time around. And it's not because I knew how it ended - I had forgotten the finer details. I just thought it was a pretty poorly written book this time around. :blush: 

Just shows tastes do change.  I've certainly found mine have rather dramatically over the past few years.  Not long ago, I loved thrillers, and read quite a few. Now, I find so many of them poorly written, at least IMO, and anything but thrilling!