Your Book Activity - January 2018

chesilbeach

The Sebastian Faulks remained disappointing.  Finished and now moved on to Terry Hayes's I Am Pilgrim, both a Round Robin challenge, and a reading group selection.  Around 150 pages into this 800+ page tome, and almost certain I'm not going to finish.  Started well, although the warning signs were there, but the last hundred pages have been pretty dire.  So bad on so many levels. Will keep going for the present - it is a reading group book after all, and you never know, it might pick up - but this so far is not a book with which to waste much of either my time or shelf space.

Edited by willoyd

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/17/2018 at 1:02 PM, muggle not said:

Yu may want to look at this conversation that was held in 2006 on

Allende.

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/428-isabel-allende/&tab=comments#comment-5231

And this is why I joined a book club. I wish I'd learned all this about Allende years ago.

I am reading Don Quixote at the moment but as usual real life meddled so i had to slow it down.

Very funny book and I don't understand why people just remember the part with the windmills. So far. that has been the least funny part in the book.

4 hours ago, Litwitlou said:

And this is why I joined a book club. I wish I'd learned all this about Allende years ago.

I thought it was a pretty good discussion on Allende. At least I enjoyed the discussion. :)

4 hours ago, MrCat said:

I am reading Don Quixote at the moment but as usual real life meddled so i had to slow it down.

Very funny book and I don't understand why people just remember the part with the windmills. So far. that has been the least funny part in the book.

I have Don Quixote on my kindle and read it when in between other books. The more of it I read the more I enjoy the book. It was difficult for me at first though.

I just finished reading A Column of Fire by Ken Follett. I really enjoyed it and rate it a 10/10. I always learn so much by reading Follett's books. I am now trying to convince my wife to read it as I would like to see her get the same enjoyment that I got from it.

14 hours ago, willoyd said:

Now moved on to Terry Hayes's I Am Pilgrim, both a Round Robin challenge, and a reading group selection.  Around 150 pages into this 800+ page tome, and almost certain I'm not going to finish.  Started well, although the warning signs were there, but the last hundred pages have been pretty dire.  So bad on so many levels. Will keep going for the present - it is a reading group book after all, and you never know, it might pick up - but this so far is not a book with which to waste much of either my time or shelf space.

Reached page 527 and gave in: there's a limit to how many plot holes and cliches one can take.  The straw that broke this particular camel's back may seem trivial, but was how a largely unnecessary narrative diversion relied on a significant low tide in the Mediterranean, a "king" low-tide, whatever that is.  There is no such thing in the Mediterranean, where tides are barely centimetres in range.  And this soon after one of the most ridiculous pieces of pseudo-science I've read in years (where the backs of the mirrors are 'developed' for those who've read the book).  I was thoroughly bored by then anyway: I bet the brilliant all-American superhero secret agent (the one who still seems to make all those big mistakes) beats the nasty Muslim terrorist, but it'll take him another 300-odd pages to do so.

Edited by willoyd

21 hours ago, muggle not said:

I just finished reading A Column of Fire by Ken Follett. I really enjoyed it and rate it a 10/10. I always learn so much by reading Follett's books. I am now trying to convince my wife to read it as I would like to see her get the same enjoyment that I got from it.

I'm glad you liked A Column of Fire :). I've got it on my TBR.

3 hours ago, anisia said:

Finished The Kicking the Bucket List yesterday and I'm almost done with One False Move (good timing as the library reminded me it's due back). Not sure what to start after, I'll have to decide today. 

How was The Kicking the Bucket List, was it any good?

Yesterday I read Paul van Loon - De Leeuwenkuil 1: Paniek in de Leeuwenkuil and in the evening I started re-reading Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time 2: The Great Hunt.

2 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

I'm almost halfway through Orlando.  It's a fantastic romp.  I want to read all of Woolf's other novels now; her use of language is exquisite.

I've only read Mrs. Dalloway so far, but it's a kind of life's ambition to read all of her work. I'm so fascinated by her life and who she was that I want to do justice to her work. I've been kind of waiting until I'm ready for it, so to speak. Where did you begin?

I had a nice time in London. I found the books I'd been debating whether to buy online or in London. Last time I was there, I didn't find them, even though the website of the bookstore said they were available. Now I checked and the website said they were available again, but I couldn't find them in the store. I'm too shy to ask staff, even though they're all very kind there. Then I had the epiphany  to look in the horror section, and ta-da! I was fairly sure I owned "The Last Watch" but quickly FaceTimed my mom to go and check in my room. My sister was at our place for lunch and she went and checked. They had all the other books, except the first. I then went to Waterstones, where they had the book I already owned, and the first book. So I managed to complete my collection!

26908057_10155967557958389_6156773696923

In Waterstones, I also found John Irving's 'The World According to Garp'. I've never found it anywhere, they only had the one copy and I was super excited. I'm that guy who inspects all the copies to get the most impeccable one and would sooner not buy a book than one that has damage (if it's full price). But I didn't think twice, so excited. Only when I got home did I notice this, and I'm super sad about it :(

26805208_10155967557948389_3342596594556

I also this bag/satchel in Camden Market, it's a kind I've been wanting for ages.

26992325_10155967557953389_1839418557223

2 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

I've only read Mrs. Dalloway so far, but it's a kind of life's ambition to read all of her work. I'm so fascinated by her life and who she was that I want to do justice to her work. I've been kind of waiting until I'm ready for it, so to speak. Where did you begin?

I began with Orlando!  It had been sitting on my shelf here for 15 years or more.  I have a terrible habit of buying books and then leaving them to fester.  But no more!  Come in, Virginia Woolf, your time is up.  I'm really glad I picked this out; it's amazing.  Mrs. Dalloway is on my TBR.  I really want to read the volume of letters between Woolf and Vita Sackville-West..  Soon!

Had a mammoth reading session today and have finished Ma'am Darling by Craig Brown.  I've also started Poppy Pym and the Beastly Blizzard by Laura Wood, The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry and Tipping The Velvet by Sarah Waters ... so that's a paperback, ebook and audiobook.  The hardback I've got lined up next is Hidden Nature by Alys Fowler, so that'll be one of each format in progress to suit wherever I am and what I'm doing! :D 

4 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

I had a nice time in London. I found the books I'd been debating whether to buy online or in London. Last time I was there, I didn't find them, even though the website of the bookstore said they were available. Now I checked and the website said they were available again, but I couldn't find them in the store. I'm too shy to ask staff, even though they're all very kind there. Then I had the epiphany  to look in the horror section, and ta-da! I was fairly sure I owned "The Last Watch" but quickly FaceTimed my mom to go and check in my room. My sister was at our place for lunch and she went and checked. They had all the other books, except the first. I then went to Waterstones, where they had the book I already owned, and the first book. So I managed to complete my collection!

26908057_10155967557958389_6156773696923

In Waterstones, I also found John Irving's 'The World According to Garp'. I've never found it anywhere, they only had the one copy and I was super excited. I'm that guy who inspects all the copies to get the most impeccable one and would sooner not buy a book than one that has damage (if it's full price). But I didn't think twice, so excited. Only when I got home did I notice this, and I'm super sad about it :(

26805208_10155967557948389_3342596594556

I also this bag/satchel in Camden Market, it's a kind I've been wanting for ages.

26992325_10155967557953389_1839418557223

I find it impossible not to look at other peoples' bookshelves. I must read the title of every book and will, quite rudely, ignore everyone in the room until I'm done. The attraction is irresistible; what if they have a really good book I haven't read? I just can't take that chance. Bookshelves call me like the sirens called Odysseus.  Thanks for letting me see a few of yours.

9 hours ago, Cechak said:

I am currently reading Our Lady of the Flowers by Jean Genet. It's proved a challenging read for me as far as trying to figure out if I actually like it or not. For awhile I was completely enthralled, but now I find I keep putting off finishing it.  

I read that a few years ago, and didn't much enjoy it.  The characters annoyed me, and I found the style too overblown.  But then, one might say the same of one of Genet's other works, Querelle -- and I loved that!  I hope Our Lady of the Flowers improves for you.

39 minutes ago, Onion Budgie said:

I read that a few years ago, and didn't much enjoy it.  The characters annoyed me, and I found the style too overblown.  But then, one might say the same of one of Genet's other works, Querelle -- and I loved that!  I hope Our Lady of the Flowers improves for you.

Yeah, the style impressed me for awhile, and is now boring me. I think I will just try to blow through the rest of it. 

19 hours ago, Litwitlou said:

I find it impossible not to look at other peoples' bookshelves. I must read the title of every book and will, quite rudely, ignore everyone in the room until I'm done. The attraction is irresistible; what if they have a really good book I haven't read? I just can't take that chance. Bookshelves call me like the sirens called Odysseus.  Thanks for letting me see a few of yours.

If you like book shelves, you need to take a look at Athena's. Of course we may never hear from you again as it will take forever to look at them all. :)

On 1/22/2018 at 9:02 AM, muggle not said:

If you like book shelves, you need to take a look at Athena's. Of course we may never hear from you again as it will take forever to look at them all. :)

To make things worse I was speaking in an annoying voice and being a wise ass because Pete had been getting on my nerves.  But if you want to see some of the books I had 6 or 7 years ago, here they are.I advise you not to look. It ain't pretty.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZoimwCV3M8

Edited by Litwitlou

Met up with Janet and poppyshake today (in a bookshop, obviously) and ended up coming home with a couple of new books.  I'm going to have to sneak them onto the shelf so other half doesn't notice, but they're both small, so should be ok. :giggle2:  I came home with the next Anita Brookner on my list, Family and Friends and also Twenty-Four Hours in the Life of a Woman by Stefan Zweig.

On 21/01/2018 at 4:39 PM, Onion Budgie said:

I began with Orlando!  It had been sitting on my shelf here for 15 years or more.  I have a terrible habit of buying books and then leaving them to fester.  But no more!  Come in, Virginia Woolf, your time is up.  I'm really glad I picked this out; it's amazing.  Mrs. Dalloway is on my TBR.  I really want to read the volume of letters between Woolf and Vita Sackville-West..  Soon!

Good luck with Virginia Woolf - she is one of my favourite authors, competing with Austen, Dickens and JL Carr for the top spot. Orlando is probably a good place to start - experimental, but not as much as some.  If you like this, then I can strongly recommend Mrs Dalloway and To The Lighthouse, as follow-ons.  The Waves is probably the 'hardest' read, and I was glad to come to it after these others.  I also have a love of her last books, The Years and Between the Acts, which often get overlooked. Having said that, I have to admit that Flush didn't do a lot for me!

She's also a brilliant essay writer and diarist - some say the greatest diarist of the twentieth century. 

If you're into biographies, Hermione Lee's book on Woolf is one of my favourites.

I also loved the Sally Potter film of Orlando with Tilda Swinton in the title role - a really good interpretation!  And once you've read Mrs Dalloway,  then The Hours is a superb film (as is the book).

Sorry if I'm teaching the sucking of eggs - it's just so good to find somebody else so enthusiastic about VW!  Poppyshake is another huge fan, and is doing her full works as a challenge - she has an interesting thread about it on the Reading Challenges board.

Edited by willoyd

12 hours ago, willoyd said:

Good luck with Virginia Woolf - she is one of my favourite authors, competing with Austen, Dickens and JL Carr for the top spot. Orlando is probably a good place to start - experimental, but not as much as some.  If you like this, then I can strongly recommend Mrs Dalloway and To The Lighthouse, as follow-ons.  The Waves is probably the 'hardest' read, and I was glad to come to it after these others.  I also have a love of her last books, The Years and Between the Acts, which often get overlooked. Having said that, I have to admit that Flush didn't do a lot for me!

She's also a brilliant essay writer and diarist - some say the greatest diarist of the twentieth century. 

If you're into biographies, Hermione Lee's book on Woolf is one of my favourites.

I also loved the Sally Potter film of Orlando with Tilda Swinton in the title role - a really good interpretation!  And once you've read Mrs Dalloway,  then The Hours is a superb film (as is the book).

Sorry if I'm teaching the sucking of eggs - it's just so good to find somebody else so enthusiastic about VW!  Poppyshake is another huge fan, and is doing her full works as a challenge - she has an interesting thread about it on the Reading Challenges board.

Thanks for all the info!  It's really helpful.  I already have Mrs Dalloway and To the Lighthouse on order.  After I've read those, I'll begin adding VW's other works.  I'm excited to have discovered another author that may well become a favourite.  That doesn't happen often!

I saw the filmed version of Orlando when it was first on TV.  I don't remember any detail, but I do remember liking it.

I'm off to check out Poppyshake's thread.  :)

On 1/22/2018 at 3:02 PM, muggle not said:

Thanks, I feel honoured :blush::)!

On 1/22/2018 at 3:59 PM, Litwitlou said:

So that would be like eternity in heaven. :D

My good friend Pete lives in Oregon. So we're emailing back and forth busting chops and talking books. One day, years and years ago, he asked me what books I had. I'm thinking to myself, "How am I supposed to tell him what books I have?" At the speed I type it would take... well, way too long.  So, in 2011, I made a You Tube video. Much to my dismay, the bloody thing is still up. I just watched it.  I didn't have a digital camera at the time so I just picked up my little Sony Vaio laptop and carried it around pointing it at the bookshelves. The image from that is like trying to watch a movie on an iPad in a small boat during a hurricane. I swear, it almost made me seasick. 

To make things worse I was speaking in an annoying voice and being a wise ass because Pete had been getting on my nerves.  But if you want to see some of the books I had 6 or 7 years ago, here they are.I advise you not to look. It ain't pretty.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZoimwCV3M8

I see many great science-fiction and fantasy books :D. And you have a lot of Stephen King books! Awesome.

My most recent pictures are here (July 2017, though it has changed a bit since then), old video is here (but it looks very different now, I got some new book cases for In the summer of 2017. The lighting is terrible in the video and there is no sound. But since you shared yours, it seems only fair :).). A lot of my books are double-stacked, because I ran out of space in those areas :blush:. I own a lot of unread books too.

19 hours ago, Nollaig said:

I've started reading Turtles All The Way Down, the new novel from John Green. Reserving judgement so far, but as always with his books it's a witty and occasionally insightful read.

I hope you enjoy this :)!