Your Book Activity - January 2018

chesilbeach

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have much reading time yesterday, but today is a different matter, and an early start this morning has seen me finish both 21st-Century Yokel by Tom Cox and also At The Sign Of The Golden Pineapple by M. C. Beaton.  I'm also halfway through Sky Chasers by Emma Carroll and I've started Ma'am Darling by Craig Brown as my non-fiction, but this will be an at home read only, as it's a whopping great big hardback.  It's fantastic so far though! :D

I’ve decided to start The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney which is my Round Robin challenge from Willoyd. I’ve been meaning to get around to this for AGES so I’m pleased to have an excuse to prioritise it.  

Also, I have a question for the grammarians out there...I am reading a non fiction book by a British man, he has twice in one page used a z rather than an s in realise which had annoyed me slightly, am I right to be annoyed? 

9 minutes ago, chaliepud said:

Also, I have a question for the grammarians out there...I am reading a non fiction book by a British man, he has twice in one page used a z rather than an s in realise which had annoyed me slightly, am I right to be annoyed? 

The correct English spelling is with the z and if you search for realise in the OED, it will send you to the entry for realize. It’s a common misconception that the z is American and s is English.

Happy New Year bookie buddies. I wish you all a year filled with new and old reads. I haven't started any new books as yet but I'm working my way through 'The Runaway Quilt' by Jennifer Chiavarini. I started it a while back but stopped to read a Christmassy one, 'The Great Christmas Knit Off' by Alexandra Brown, my second time of reading it and enjoyed it again, as I found that I couldn't remember too much how it ended.

Happy new year all. :D

I'm currently reading The Night Manager by John Le Carre. The first one of his I've attempted....I have to admit, I'm finding it a bit waffly, but the storyline itself is interesting.

20 hours ago, chaliepud said:

I finished Station Eleven yesterday, a bit early as it is part of the 2018 Round Robin challenge! Never mind! :)

Did you enjoy Station Eleven? I absolutely loved it when I first read it a couple of years ago.

I still have many reviews to finish off for 2017. I quite like the mini-review format so I think I will do that to finish them off. Then I have to start pulling together my reading lists for 2018. 

I am reading the seventh (and most recent) entry in the Maeve Kerrigan series of crime thrillers by Jane Casey. I'll be sad when it's finished, as I'll have to wait for the next one. Then I've two left in the Kim Stone series by Angela Marsons (also currently 7 books) and then I'll be up to date with that series too!

I'm also tentatively reading Lord of the Rings after re-watching the movies over Christmas. I've never made it through them before, but I'm doing okay this time so far!

14 hours ago, bobblybear said:

Did you enjoy Station Eleven? I absolutely loved it when I first read it a couple of years ago.

I did actually, far more than I expected to, it was rather scary though, despite there being very little action in it, there was so much tension in the writing. It was horrifying to realise how quickly life would turn into chaos; no fuel sources, emergency services, available food, heating etc etc. I went for a remote dog walk after and could almost imagine it! :o 

18 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

The correct English spelling is with the z and if you search for realise in the OED, it will send you to the entry for realize. It’s a common misconception that the z is American and s is English.

Thanks Claire, I did google something to that effect though they did also say that the z has been less used over the last 100 years or so. I prefer the s, it seems less harsh. Thankfully for the world, I am not a writer so I won't be upsetting anyone! :D

Finished Sky Chasers by Emma Carroll and read about 60 pages of Ma'am Darling by Craig Brown last night, and today I was back to work, so started Sky Song by Abi Elphinstone during my lunch break, which is a middle grade fairy tale style of story.

On 1/1/2018 at 7:07 PM, chesilbeach said:

That's so interesting, I didn't realise the z and s is a misconception! 

--

I'm about half done with One False Move, forgot how much I like the Myron Bolitar series. I'll probably finish it today then I need to charge my Kindle as I only took 2 books with me this holiday. 

Almost two thirds of the way through Sky Song and might finish it this evening, and 100 pages into Ma'am Darling which I'm thoroughly enjoying (a surprise for me as I don't enjoy most biographies).  Also collected an order from the local bookshop, so I now have a copy of Poppy Pym and the Beastly Blizzard by Laura Wood.

i finished The Seven Dials Mystery by Agatha Christie and All I love and Know by Judith Frank last night.  The Agatha Christie was not as good as her others and I'm still trying to decide what I thought of the Judith Frank book.  The first half was quite good, but the second half let it down a lot.

I started The Kicking the Bucket List by Cathy Hopkins earlier today as an audiobook. So far I'm enjoying it though I'm not far enough to properly know if I'll like it or not. 

Edited by anisia