What's Up in January 2018

chesilbeach

On 1/11/2018 at 2:25 PM, Nollaig said:

I'll probably post pages of it in my book-and-game-reviews thread, if anyone is interested. Now to buy a sketchbook to do it all in!

I'm glad you're doing allright :). I'd love to see some pages! I find it inspiring to see other people's bullet journals and doodles.

On 1/11/2018 at 4:37 PM, chaliepud said:

Obviously we have been pretty sad over the loss of our old dog but we are coming out the other side now and thinking of all the good times we had with him, of which there were plenty! 

I had had a nice catch up with my best friend in Windsor today with a nice lunch in Bills and of course the obligatory trip to Waterstones. I did buy three new books, not because I needed them but because they make me feel happy! :) 

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling a bit better and that you had a nice catch-up with your friend :).

On 1/12/2018 at 12:21 PM, chesilbeach said:

Went out for breakfast this morning, and had buttermilk pancakes with caramelised bananas and maple syrup, which was bloomin' delicious!  A couple of errands to run, and a stop off in the bookshop, and now back home to catch up with some more jobs around the house.

Not sure what we'll do tomorrow, but hoping to fit in some sewing and reading again this weekend. :) 

I hope you have a nice time sewing and reading :).

Today we're celebrating my mum's birthday, so today is pretty busy with visitors. I'm enjoying seeing my family again. Tomorrow should be quieter, I'm hoping to do a bit of reading then.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey y'all!

Hope everyone is settling into the new year well! We've finally settled into our new home and I must say, I love it! We got a small load of wood delivered over the weekend. We also bought beds and mattresses for the two bedrooms. Hubby fixed his car in our OWN garage, Kizzy has found her perfect spots inside and outside the house. My crafting area is set up. Everything has fallen into place. The rental house has been turned over and deposit has been returned to us. 

I went to visit a friend's daughter in the hospital today and had planned to hang out at the library afterwards. Somehow I just wanted to be home. Maybe now my creative juices will kick in! I'm going to enjoy being home this week because I have to take my last real estate class next week. Next month hubby and I will celebrate our anniversary and new home purchase by having a family gathering. Looking forward to it but also looking forward to it being over, lol!

Have a great day/evening everyone!

I'm glad you're settled into your new home and that you're loving it :). I hope you enjoy your family gathering. I find them fun but also exhausting.

Things are okay here. I had a dentist appointment this morning and I'm very glad everything was okay and that it's over for another half a year!! I always get extremely anxious for dentist appointments (as some of you know) and the cleaning of the teeth was difficult because it is so much input. But I'm really glad it's over again now!!

My sister and her fiancé planning to move into their new house soon, so I expect we'll go there in February once they're settled in. My brother and his girlfriend are doing well too, and are also thinking of moving in a while. They're currently living in a rented apartment in the city but they'd like to buy a house. My boyfriend and I will be the last to move, but that is okay with us, as for now we're good where we are. But it is nice to talk about it and hear about other people's tastes and opinions. Last weekend I saw most of my family and it was nice to spend some time with them.

I'm planning to rest a bit today, as the dentist appointment cost me a lot of energy and I didn't sleep very well last night (in part due to a bad headache). But I'm really glad the dentist appointment is over for another 6-ish months again!!

I don't think anyone likes the dentist Athena - I know I don't.

January is always a bit of a strange month for me with the dark mornings and getting back to work and everything. It often leaves me feeling a bit low, but I suspect I am not the only one. The days are gradually starting to lengthen though and it is gradually getting lighter in the mornings. I notice the mornings more I suppose as I have to start work relatively earlier than most (7.30am).

I had the day off today as Coran had to have a colonoscopy. This is never a pleasant experience, although the lead up to it is worse than the actual procedure itself. I won't go into details as it nearly dinner time, but anyone who has had or knows anyone who has had this done will know what I mean! They advise someone to be with the person afterwards hence my day off. I needed the rest actually and it was great - I have spent most of the day reading. :readingtwo:   

Yes January is horrible, this week has been particularly bad with dismal weather, although as you say it's brighter now, and yes the mornings are a bit lighter, as are the evenings; but I've had a cold, haven't slept much and public transport has been a nightmare practically every day since the start of the New Year!

Hope Coran's test goes OK.

Coran is fine now it's all over. I am knackered though. One of my cleaners is on holiday with his family in Poland and the other slipped and strained her ankle this morning leaving the house on her way to work. It was the same ankle unfortunately that she broke a few years ago - the poor thing has been at home all day then resting a rather sore and swollen foot and will be off again tomorrow as she can't put any weight on it. That left me doing the work of 3 people on my own - and it will be even worse tomorrow as I also have a big delivery of cleaning products also coming that I will need to sort out! If it's true what they say, no rest for the wicked, I would love to know what I've done!    

19 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Yes January is horrible, this week has been particularly bad with dismal weather, although as you say it's brighter now, and yes the mornings are a bit lighter, as are the evenings; but I've had a cold, haven't slept much and public transport has been a nightmare practically every day since the start of the New Year!

I hope things get better soon!

14 hours ago, Talisman said:

Coran is fine now it's all over. I am knackered though. One of my cleaners is on holiday with his family in Poland and the other slipped and strained her ankle this morning leaving the house on her way to work. It was the same ankle unfortunately that she broke a few years ago - the poor thing has been at home all day then resting a rather sore and swollen foot and will be off again tomorrow as she can't put any weight on it. That left me doing the work of 3 people on my own - and it will be even worse tomorrow as I also have a big delivery of cleaning products also coming that I will need to sort out! If it's true what they say, no rest for the wicked, I would love to know what I've done!  

I'm glad Coran is okay. Good luck with all the work, it sounds really tough!

Yesterday we had a really bad storm here. Gladly we're all allright and so are our animals. One of my neighbour's trees fell over, and throughout the country there are lots of damages. Almost no trains were going for most of the day yesterday so my mum got stuck at work. Gladly my dad could pick her up with the car after his last appointment. They were back home after midnight. Two people died too :( (because of the wind, things falling on top of them). Today the weather seems quieter, so that's good.

I know it may be a bit early for most, but I wish everyone a nice weekend :).

9 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm glad Coran is okay. Good luck with all the work, it sounds really tough!

Yesterday we had a really bad storm here. Gladly we're all allright and so are our animals. One of my neighbour's trees fell over, and throughout the country there are lots of damages. Almost no trains were going for most of the day yesterday so my mum got stuck at work. Gladly my dad could pick her up with the car after his last appointment. They were back home after midnight. Two people died too :( (because of the wind, things falling on top of them). Today the weather seems quieter, so that's good.

I know it may be a bit early for most, but I wish everyone a nice weekend :).

It has been! She was off work today as well, which I was expecting. I came in half an hour earlier to make sure I got everything done, as I knew I also had a big delivery coming. I owed them some time anyway because of Wednesday. By about 2.45 though I just hit that wall where you are exhausted and had to wander over to the sensory garden to get myself together even though it was freezing cold! I really don't want too many more days like that!

I am glad your animals are all okay though. I would imagine it could be a bit scary for them. Fences can be replaced after all, but animals can't be, as they are part of the family. 

I am glad it's the weekend and intend to do as little as possible. :)

Just read through this thread and it seems everyone is looking forward to the weekend and hoping for a bit of peace.

Today I've spent mainly doing laundry. I'm a bit lazy and only tend to do it when I've got no clean underwear left. My laundry is onsite and it has nice big machines so I got everything washed and dried in around three hours.

Now I intend to sit back and try to find something to have as background noise (quiet) whilst I settle into my book.

Happy Weekend all

After a very long, very busy week at work, I've got a few days off, so have made the most of the weekend to have a bit of a lie-in, and just relax.  I've done some sewing and plenty of reading and treated myself to brunch out at a local restaurant yesterday morning. I'm meeting up with Janet and Kay but apart from that, looking forward to a few more days of the same as the weekend! :D

Back to work today after a week off. The week off was nice enough, although a few nights poor sleep meant a couple of days were effectively wasted on catching up with sleep. It's never long enough though, had trouble sleeping last night knowing I was facing back into work, and have been awake since 5am so my mood is particularly low this morning.

I'm grateful for my job, it's a good job, I just hate having to work.

I know how you feel. I am the same at the moment. This winter just seems so dreary and seems to drag on forever. 

Having a member of staff sick with flu doesn't help, and neither do the rest of the idiots (sorry, I meant other departments) that I have to deal with. For some reason they seem to think that we can deep clean 16 bathrooms in one week and drop everything just because they have an environmental health inspection next week. They must have known about this for ages yet I was only informed of it last Thursday. There was nothing I could do about it until today as I had one member of staff on holiday and the other off sick with a strained ankle. That same person has now been struck down with flu so might be off for a while. Those same idiots seem to also think I run a warehouse and have every single item they need in stock all the time and can get stuff without notice every time they click their fingers. :dry:

If its true what they say that there is no rest for the wicked, I would love to know what I've done!   

On 1/22/2018 at 10:41 AM, Nollaig said:

Back to work today after a week off. The week off was nice enough, although a few nights poor sleep meant a couple of days were effectively wasted on catching up with sleep. It's never long enough though, had trouble sleeping last night knowing I was facing back into work, and have been awake since 5am so my mood is particularly low this morning.

I'm grateful for my job, it's a good job, I just hate having to work.

I hope you'll be able to sleep more soon and feel more rested :(.

On 1/22/2018 at 5:47 PM, Talisman said:

Having a member of staff sick with flu doesn't help, and neither do the rest of the idiots (sorry, I meant other departments) that I have to deal with. For some reason they seem to think that we can deep clean 16 bathrooms in one week and drop everything just because they have an environmental health inspection next week. They must have known about this for ages yet I was only informed of it last Thursday. There was nothing I could do about it until today as I had one member of staff on holiday and the other off sick with a strained ankle. That same person has now been struck down with flu so might be off for a while. Those same idiots seem to also think I run a warehouse and have every single item they need in stock all the time and can get stuff without notice every time they click their fingers. :dry:

Good luck, it sounds like a tough situation :(. I hate being told of things (ie. events) at a late time, I'd much rather know things in advance (so I can plan for things). It's not nice people expect you to have everything in stock always.

21 hours ago, chaliepud said:

Yep, fed up with this weather too, not helped by having a dog that loves muddy puddles and the ponds!!:P

Thankfully we have booked to meet Steve in Dubai for half term with the kids so looking forward to a bit of sunshine! ☀️

I hope you enjoy your holiday when it's that time :)!

6 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope you'll be able to sleep more soon and feel more rested :(.

Good luck, it sounds like a tough situation :(. I hate being told of things (ie. events) at a late time, I'd much rather know things in advance (so I can plan for things). It's not nice people expect you to have everything in stock always.

I hope you enjoy your holiday when it's that time :)!

No, it's a bit annoying. What hasn't helped is the fact that my hormones have been all over the place of late, with some pretty extreme mood swings (these men have no idea what we women have to put up with). Stress definitely makes it worse, and I have found myself having to bite my tongue a few times, as if I said what I really thought I probably wouldn't still be working there! I am feeling a lot better today though having had a chat with my own Manager about things and we are getting on top of things. About a third of the rooms have now been done, and the rest are not as bad so quite a few should be done tomorrow as well. We will have to manage with just the two of us for a bit longer though, as my staff member who has flu has been signed off work for another week to make sure she recovers completely. She has Crohns Disease, which makes her more vulnerable to this sort of thing, as this particular strain has shall we say some other rather unpleasant side effects. :dry:

6 hours ago, Madeleine said:

One of my colleagues has had that virus (despite having a flu jab) since before Xmas.

Crohns is horrible, we have a friend who's had it for years, very nasty.

Yes, it is a nasty one. 

7 hours ago, Athena said:

Sorry to hear the staff member has Crohns Disease, that sounds very unpleasant :(. I'm glad you're managing a bit better though :).

Her Crohns is managed quite well from what I understand and only flares up now and then. This particular strain of flu is more than just flu though and from what she tells me she has had some pretty nasty diarrhoea as well. I guess having Crohns means that you are more vulnerable when you get this sort of thing and that it takes longer to recover. The timing isn't the best I admit, but she can't help that as these things have been going around at work for a while and she is not the only one to have time off with it. Given the nature of the work that we do and the amount of people visiting the site it is impossible to completely avoid these things. It is better that she does stay off work then as that way the rest of us are less likely to get it.

I am still knackered, but I guess that's an occupational hazard too when you do this sort of work. On the bright side, I was given a nice box of chocolates today to share among my team in thanks for all the hard work we have put in this week. Despite my words I know that we are appreciated. It just all gets on top of you now and then - bloody menopause! :yeahthat:

Hey y'all!

I am finished with my real estate courses and am now licensed to sell property. Yaayyyy! I have a few interviews lined up starting tomorrow and next week and then I need to choose which brokerage firm is a good fit. You have to be so careful because your license is only issued (even though you are an agent) when you have a brokerage firm because you are working under a broker. We are not employees but we have to have a "home" to hang our license and to move from firm to firm is a major hassle. 

When I got home from class I picked up a few items from Walmart. We really needed a safe. It never seemed to be a necessity until we became homeowners. Keeping up with insurance policies and mortgage paperwork, et al.  I also spent some time updating paperwork in respect to new billing accounts for electric and water, that sort of thing. I handle all of the bills and paperwork but I keep a big binder so hubby can put hands on it in the event that something happens to me. I think its a great idea to have a place to keep all your important stuff written down. He doesn't mess with the online stuff but I made it available just in case. Now that all that's done, I'm up to date with my yearly paper purge. I have a nice pile waiting to be burned in the fireplace. Its just too much effort to shred it all. 

Now that everything is done, I can sit and read til I fall asleep!

14 hours ago, Talisman said:

Her Crohns is managed quite well from what I understand and only flares up now and then. This particular strain of flu is more than just flu though and from what she tells me she has had some pretty nasty diarrhoea as well. I guess having Crohns means that you are more vulnerable when you get this sort of thing and that it takes longer to recover. The timing isn't the best I admit, but she can't help that as these things have been going around at work for a while and she is not the only one to have time off with it. Given the nature of the work that we do and the amount of people visiting the site it is impossible to completely avoid these things. It is better that she does stay off work then as that way the rest of us are less likely to get it.

I am still knackered, but I guess that's an occupational hazard too when you do this sort of work. On the bright side, I was given a nice box of chocolates today to share among my team in thanks for all the hard work we have put in this week. Despite my words I know that we are appreciated. It just all gets on top of you now and then - bloody menopause! :yeahthat:

That's true, much better that she stays at home rather than infect other people at work.

I'm sorry you've been feeling so tired :(. Good luck!

14 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

Back to work today so a busy day catching up, but home in front of the fire now for some reading before tea. Only tomorrow at work, then it's the weekend again! :lol:  Planning to do some sewing and reading and not much else. :smile2: 

I wish you a nice weekend :)!

7 hours ago, Virginia said:

I am finished with my real estate courses and am now licensed to sell property. Yaayyyy! I have a few interviews lined up starting tomorrow and next week and then I need to choose which brokerage firm is a good fit. You have to be so careful because your license is only issued (even though you are an agent) when you have a brokerage firm because you are working under a broker. We are not employees but we have to have a "home" to hang our license and to move from firm to firm is a major hassle.

Congratulations :)!

I know it's a bit early, but I wish every one a lovely weekend in advance :).

Partner confirmed he's got the time off for going to London, yay! My wench costume (we're going to a medieval banquet) should arrive today. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that it fits - it's a few inches shy on the waist as I'm a bit of a barrel but if it stretches at all it will hopefully be okay. It's going to be massive on the bust, but I'm used to that! Once it either stretches, or I can find a way to adjust it, I'll be happy :D

So glad it's Friday. Happy weekend!